Pellet grills

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Pellet grills seem to be like cars, watches, wine, craft beer, speakers, etc. People think something is the best but then the more you learn about them you realize that what you use to think was the best, is considered junk by others.
So a friend of mine bought a Traeger from a Traeger dealer. He was having issues with it feeding and the dealer told him if he was using pellets other than traeger pellets it would void the warranty. WTF!!!

Consider what kind of service you get after the sale also. GMG has been awesome! You can call or email them right from the phone app. I have a 2015 DB and they have been very gracious to some of the issues that come up mostly with temp variances but they have solved that with a new heat shield, new controller, and the thermo coupler went bad also. I use this smoker at least twice/three times a week. They have replaced these parts free of charge and they will respond to you even on the weekends.

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
I had a grate that had a small section that didn’t lol quite right. Called GMG on a Saturday and got two new grates shipped free of charge.

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
Doing my second brisket Sunday (might actually start it late saturday). My first attempt turned out fine, was just a flat, this time will be the full packer. Anyone have experience?
My main issue with my first go was the lack of bark, had a good smoke ring but very little crust. Planning on 225 degrees, have pecan on hand but might get a bag of hickory to supplement. Used aluminum foil to wrap the first go around and will be switching to paper for this cook.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
Have a Traeger and have really enjoyed it. My only issue is it can't seem to get about about 390 degrees temp. It's supposed to get up to 425...kind of makes it an issue when I'm wanting to do steaks or burgers. I've changed out the temp probe and cleaned it out with no better results. Any ideas?

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
Have a Traeger and have really enjoyed it. My only issue is it can't seem to get about about 390 degrees temp. It's supposed to get up to 425...kind of makes it an issue when I'm wanting to do steaks or burgers. I've changed out the temp probe and cleaned it out with no better results. Any ideas?

First thing I would ask is are the pellets stored in a dry place? If they are old or have moisture they won't burn as hot.

If that is not a problem take a look at your chimney cap. If its wide open or almost shut it doesn't get the proper air movement. I think there is suppose to be 1.5" gap between the cap and stack.

Depending how old the pellet grill is the fire pot might have holes in it and needs to be replaced.

if you check all those off then its over my head.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
As I've mentioned previously, I have a Traeger and WSM.
I get the hanging out and manning the smoker but there is also a benefit of being able to walk away for a while do errands/yard work/etc.
If you have a giant brisket and want it done for lunch, you can also start it during the previous night and actually sleep. Once or twice a year I still do the conventional way and get an hour to two sleep shifts when I do a brisket on the WSM.

I go to sleep while my WSM is running over night all the time and have no worries at all. It is rock solid in keeping temps for very long periods.

cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
CB
I bought the cheapest Pit Boss from Walmart in June. Tailgater or something like that. Very similar to the portable GMG. It has taken some getting used to vs gas, but I enjoy cooking everything on the Pit Boss. Just need to figure more time then gas. I also bought the extended warranty from Walmart. 3 years I figure something will go wrong with it.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
First thing I would ask is are the pellets stored in a dry place? If they are old or have moisture they won't burn as hot.

If that is not a problem take a look at your chimney cap. If its wide open or almost shut it doesn't get the proper air movement. I think there is suppose to be 1.5" gap between the cap and stack.

Depending how old the pellet grill is the fire pot might have holes in it and needs to be replaced.

if you check all those off then its over my head.

Is it plugged in? If not, plug it in. If so, unplug it and plug it back in!

One thing I'd actually add. Are you relying on the digital display, or do you have an actual analog aftermarket thermometer. My Traeger doesn't read temp that well, I only trust the one drilled in it's head. Digital will jump around more whereas the analog tells you true.

But I guess that doesn't matter if it's not reaching a max..... f it I'm posting it anyway.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I go to sleep while my WSM is running over night all the time and have no worries at all. It is rock solid in keeping temps for very long periods.

I'll do brisket on my traeger and just put it lower on the driveway and hope for the best. Only thing that's happened is the hopper jamming up. I feel more comfortable now that I got a bluetooth double probe thermo.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Yes it does maintain well if you get it locked in. TBH meat stops taking smoke flavor in the 160s too.

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
Did this over the weekend.. 7.5 lb Round Eye. Did it in under 4 hours which included about 15 minutes on the gasser to put a little more sear on it. Turned out great for the first time ever trying it. View attachment 57029 View attachment 57030
Looks good, might want to let it rest a little longer to help it retain more of that juice that ended up on the cutting board.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I made an absolutely awesome brisket on my Green Mountain over the 4th of July. You can control the temperature so well with those things, it's hard to mess up a brisket which is saying something....

Last edited:

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Got a really good deal on an entry level Traeger at Hy-Vee. The manager gave an additional deep discount on top of the good price.

We've had good luck with chicken

Burger....searing was an issue. The burger was hella juicy, but I need to experiment more with the sear

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Got a really good deal on an entry level Traeger at Hy-Vee. The manager gave an additional deep discount on top of the good price.

We've had good luck with chicken

Burger....searing was an issue. The burger was hella juicy, but I need to experiment more with the sear

So what'd you pay?

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I got a pretty standard issue barrel charcoal grill with offset smoker box early this summer, my results on pork back ribs have been mixed. Before this I used a big old charcoal grill and rigged it up for indirect heat for smoking. Ribs turned out amazing. With the offset box it's great that I can smoke 3 times the amount of ribs, but they haven't been fall off the bone the way they were with the older grill. And I know fall off the bone isn't competition grade, but it's what we like. So I don't know if I'm not getting them done enough, they're a bit chewier. Any insights welcomed.

Reactions: CyTwins

isu22andy

Sep 17, 2012
Why did I not have a wireless thermometer years ago. So nice to mess around the house and pull up the display in your pocket without having to go probe what your smoking on the grill

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I got a pretty standard issue barrel charcoal grill with offset smoker box early this summer, my results on pork back ribs have been mixed. Before this I used a big old charcoal grill and rigged it up for indirect heat for smoking. Ribs turned out amazing. With the offset box it's great that I can smoke 3 times the amount of ribs, but they haven't been fall off the bone the way they were with the older grill. And I know fall off the bone isn't competition grade, but it's what we like. So I don't know if I'm not getting them done enough, they're a bit chewier. Any insights welcomed.
You adding any moisture in the offset? That may help.