OT: 'IT' trailer

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Give it time and some d-bag will do a remake of the Shining. I didn't know the Coen brothers were the ones remaking Scarface. I might actually watch it now. But overall, remakes usually have a horrible cast or the story ends up being terrible. I'm a big fan of Tim Burton, but even he has butchered the remakes he has done. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was just awful.
I mean...if it sticks to the novel, I would have zero problems with this. Kubrick's Shining kept the characters and location...and that's about it. For the longest time, Stephen King wouldn't even acknowledge it as an adaptation of his book.

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
I still have the original on VHS. I told my wife I wanted to see the remake when it came out and she gave me a "Hell no!"

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
The Fly and The Thing are great examples of remakes. There is plenty of 50's science fiction stories that could be updated and remade with a real budget.

Exactly, unfortunately the only things getting remade these days are popular movies that are a quick cash grab for nostalgias sake, with a few rare exceptions. I love what HBO did with Westworld, just taking the premise and tweaking it for a series versus just a movie.

Would be interesting to see this done with some of King's other novels. I'd be game for a ten episode HBO series based on The Stand.

Reactions: cyhiphopp

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
I mean...if it sticks to the novel, I would have zero problems with this. Kubrick's Shining kept the characters and location...and that's about it. For the longest time, Stephen King wouldn't even acknowledge it as an adaptation of his book.

Didn't they try this a few years back as a TV miniseries that was supposed to be more true to the book. It didn't do well of I recall correctly.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Didn't they try this a few years back as a TV miniseries that was supposed to be more true to the book. It didn't do well of I recall correctly.
It didn't necessarily do well because people expect Kubrick's idea of the Shining. King enthusiasts really enjoyed the movie because it stayed true to the book. I'm a fan of both. The book is one of my favorites and I think Kubrick's movie is an all time horror classic. However, Kubrick's movie is absolutely not an adaptation of King's novel.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Dear Hollywood D-Bags,

Please STOP with the remakes!!! There are over 300 remakes in the works that will come out over the next few years. Ridiculous. And 99% of these remakes suck. I'm pretty mad at a lot of these, like Scarface for example. Why remake a masterpiece? And Ed Helms playing Frank Drebin in the Naked Gun remake? Wow. My left butt cheek is a better actor than Helms. The film business has thrown away all standards and now we get mostly garbage movies. End rant.

Agreed. Hollywood somehow has ran out of original thoughts in their head. I heard a few weeks ago that they have greenlit a remake of The Matrix. THE MATRIX!? Unreal.

• Informative
Reactions: demoncore1031

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I also think the TV version of IT was awful and not scary in the slightest. I felt the same about 'Salem's Lot which is hands down the scariest book I've ever read and my favorite Stephen King book. I'm waiting for a kick ass remake of that book because it would be awesome if in the right hands.

Josh Boone is set to direct a film version of The Stand. Supposedly will be possibly 3 movies with a miniseries tie-in before the movies hit theaters. If they're gonna try and make that book work they HAVE to basically have something that's around 10 hours long otherwise too much is cut out and characters aren't developed. Same could be said with IT to be honest. But at least it's two full movies not just one.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I also think the TV version of IT was awful and not scary in the slightest. I felt the same about 'Salem's Lot which is hands down the scariest book I've ever read and my favorite Stephen King book. I'm waiting for a kick ass remake of that book because it would be awesome if in the right hands.

Josh Boone is set to direct a film version of The Stand. Supposedly will be possibly 3 movies with a miniseries tie-in before the movies hit theaters. If they're gonna try and make that book work they HAVE to basically have something that's around 10 hours long otherwise too much is cut out and characters aren't developed. Same could be said with IT to be honest. But at least it's two full movies not just one.

My problem with the original can be summed up by (with all due respect to these actors):

John Boy
Venus Flytrap
Harry from Night Court

Just couldn't get past that.

• Agree
Reactions: dahliaclone

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
The TV movie adaptations of King's work in the 90s were just atrocious, even the ones that were successful at the time didn't age well. Does anyone remember The Langoliers or Tonmyknockers. Ugh, so bad.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
141 remakes (2016-2020) on this list alone...

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls052091214/

Yay, another Nightmare on Elm Street remake even though there was one in 2010... I should probably start a new thread on the remakes huh? Sorry for derailing this thread.

I'm sorta sorry I looked at that list. I'm hoping many, if not most, of those never get made. Leave my childhood alone!

• Agree

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'm sorta sorry I looked at that list. I'm hoping many, if not most, of those never get made. Leave my childhood alone!

Not even in my childhood...just leave the classics as they are. Some have a certain charm even if they're dated/corny that can't be replicated.

This new 'It' remake might be better than the mini-series with the right director though.

That said, if they go remake on Monster Squad...

• Agree

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I agree with you, and THIS remake is one that I will give a chance because the original IT was not great. I was mostly complaining about good movies being remade. There should be a list of movies that should never be allowed to have a remake done. IT wouldn't be on that list. Also, nobody should be allowed to remake a movie unless it is at least 20 years old. Who wants to see a remake of a movie that came out 5 years ago? Get some original ideas or go home, film makers!

In all honestly, I have wanted to make movies all my life. I have written some stuff but always doubted myself so my writings just sit in a dresser drawer. I have rules when it comes to doing remakes and there is only one movie I would want to remake. A movie from the early 90's called Brainscan. It wasn't a popular movie but with today's technology I think a remake of that would be awesome if done right.

You want to remake the Edward Furlong classic?!?
500full-brainscan-screenshot.jpg

I love cheesy horror movies, so I liked this one. It would be cool to see it done with today's VR tech though.

I agree with you that there are too many remakes being done lately, and there should definitely be an Untouchable Classic list that should be off limits.

Unfortunately, all most of Hollywood cares about is making more money, not making original movies. People keep going to see unnecessary and bad remakes. You don't have to pay for a real original story when you have tons of classic movies that you can remake with whoever is popular right now.

I think IT will be a pretty awesome movie, and could improve on parts of the original that just didn't work, even if Pennywise won't be as good as Curry's.

Side note: Now I'm interested in your original stories. If you ever feel like sharing some outlines, I bet they would be well received on CF.

• Agree

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Not even in my childhood...just leave the classics as they are. Some have a certain charm even if they're dated/corny that can't be replicated.

This new 'It' remake might be better than the mini-series with the right director though.

That said, if they go remake on Monster Squad...

I'm still waiting for another year or two to watch Monster Squad with my big boys. They're going to love it. But they need to be mature enough to handle "Wolfman's got NARDS!"

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'm still waiting for another year or two to watch Monster Squad with my big boys. They're going to love it. But they need to be mature enough to handle "Wolfman's got NARDS!"

It's crucial to observe that scene with a very detailed outlook.

Without that scene, there's really no movie.

• Agree

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
141 remakes (2016-2020) on this list alone...

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls052091214/

Yay, another Nightmare on Elm Street remake even though there was one in 2010... I should probably start a new thread on the remakes huh? Sorry for derailing this thread.

I just read the list and now I'm depressed. SO many movies that are still great 30 years later and some that aren't even that old in the first place.

Big Trouble in Little China, WarGames, and Heavy Metal are sacred. Why would you ever remake those movie? Highlander seems cheesy now, but it's still a classic.

Short Circuit? Didn't they just make Chappie?

• Agree

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
One of the things I will hate about some of these remakes is that they are going to make them PG13 instead of R to appeal to a bigger audience and make more money. It'll be terrible.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Ha yeah, Kubrick / King had a beef about it. If you saw Room 237 you know Kubrick changed the color of the Torrence family VW Beetle from red to yellow so that he could later show a red beetle getting smashed in one of the wrecks caused by the snows storm. BOOM!

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
Couple questions for you all. Given that Hollywood is intent on going for the easy nostalgic cash grab, would you rather see a straight remake with the essence of the story or a prequel/sequel type scenario?

Bonus thought: I'm intrigued to know if Disney plans to remake any Star Wars films. They'd be hung out to dry if they touched the originals. But I'd be willing to listen to the idea of a remade prequel trilogy without Lucas there to muck it up. I feel like this is probably inevitable in the next 20 years.

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
The TV movie adaptations of King's work in the 90s were just atrocious, even the ones that were successful at the time didn't age well. Does anyone remember The Langoliers or Tonmyknockers. Ugh, so bad.
I thought they were great for what they were. Remember, TV sucked back then so I thought they were a nice little diversion. Yeah, they're cringy now but they weren't so bad then. You didn't like Storm of The Century? GREAT ending to that movie (mini-series), imo.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron