Optimistic Idiots

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Chill out, if as Iowa State fans we don't have optimism what do we have? It sure has not been results. If a guy wants to put forth a prediction about how many wins we have that is fine. Luckily, the person who created this website afforded us the option to "Post Reply" and you can reply to that person's thread with an alternative view on how the season will go.

If you are not optimistic about the season why buy tickets? Why support the program if we are just going to suck? Why do you take the time out of your day to come on CF and post if our football program is a lost cause? You keep your doomsday attitude, I will continue to back the optimists. Do I realisticly think we will beat Iowa and OSU, probably not. But the time leading into any Iowa State season, be it basketball our football, will always breed optimism for me because I believe that is what being a fan is about. If you cannot let yourself get excited about your team, your players and your coaches then what are you supporting?

Reactions: CyDude16

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I'm going to say eight wins. We lose to OSU, Mizzou, and two other teams that we shouldn't have. Look at our schedule, we don't play OSU, Texas, or TTU. Our schedule could not be any easier. Combine that with the fact that we lose atthe most 3 big impact players and the rest of our team is a seaon older. 8 wins is not out of question. We will have 4 wins by the end of September. Now I suppose I have to apologize for being optimistic/reaosnable in this prediction. I have a question. If some of you guys think nothing but the worst about this program, why are you on here?

Reactions: CycloneErik

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I've been seeing a lot of threads recently from people predicting really, really good results from the football team this year. A recent poster predicted we'd beat Iowa and Oki State, another predicting we'd beat Nebraska and Missouri, among others.

Turn this around. Imagine that ISU is on a roll, coming off a winning season (say, 8-4), a bowl game participation, and everything is pretty steady otherwise (no major changes to the coaching staff, etc..). Now imagine there is this team coming off a combined 5 wins in 2 years, they have a totally new coaching staff, and fans of this team are predicting that they will BEAT us the next season. What would we say?

Let me tell you a little something about message boards. We predict perfection and championships. And when we don't, we melt down for days after each loss. Then we become numb to losing. Then after the season, we expect perfection again.

Reactions: cyco2000

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I've been seeing a lot of threads recently from people predicting really, really good results from the football team this year. A recent poster predicted we'd beat Iowa and Oki State, another predicting we'd beat Nebraska and Missouri, among others.

Turn this around. Imagine that ISU is on a roll, coming off a winning season (say, 8-4), a bowl game participation, and everything is pretty steady otherwise (no major changes to the coaching staff, etc..). Now imagine there is this team coming off a combined 5 wins in 2 years, they have a totally new coaching staff, and fans of this team are predicting that they will BEAT us the next season. What would we say?

I want some of whatever they are smoking?

cycloneryan

May 21, 2006
Des Moines
There is a shocking amount of posts on this site basically just bashing what other people post. Who cares if someone thinks we may win 7 or 8 games? I don't think we will but I am not going to call someone an idiot for doing it. College football is incredibly hard to predict, especially when it is not about teams like Florida or Oklahoma. We could be the surprise of the year this season, we could also go 0-12. Let people think what they want w/o getting on their case about it. I hope the guy is right.

I forgot where were we predicted to finish in basketball in Tinsley's first year?

cyclonefan59

Jul 3, 2006
Clarksville, Tn
Optimistic idiots?? Don't hold back, tell us what you really think. This is the only time of the year when we can be totally optimistic. Reality will creep back in soon enough. Let the optimists enjoy themselves.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Winning just one game in the conference would be an IMPROVEMENT!!!!

Anybody who thinks this team is capable of winning eight games next year is TRULY A RAVING LUNATIC!!!!:biglaugh:

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Yes because obviously your knowledge is so superior to the optimistic ones. Shall we bow down to you now?:notworthy::notworthy::no:

I must agree and yes you should bow down.

It's not my knowledge it's the last 4 years of ISU football. What planet have you been on. I just don't like setting myself up for disappointment.

Also the person who said we have better coaching. How do you know that? On paper we thought Chizik was better than Mac. Now Rhodes is better than Chizik even though they pretty much have the same resume. How bout we let him coach a game or season and then decide if he might be a better coach than the idiot.

cyingreen

Nov 13, 2006
Jasper County
Well for me, being an Iowa State fan is entertainment and when I'm optimistic, it's fun. I like having fun. I know. Sounds radical. But I do. With that, every year I can convince myself that somehow we will win the Big 12 North, and somehow pull the upset in the Big 12 title game, and then I'll plan an exciting trip to whichever BCS bowl they play in. For me, that's exciting and fun. Granted, I'm usually drinking when I justify the Big 12 title, but that's fun, too. So, I do realize I'm an idiot. But I am having fun. Just like you have fun feeling smart, predicting we will suck again to show how smart you are when you are right, because you are smart. It would be fun to be smart and make sure everyone knew about it, but I'm not, So I just cheer for a Big 12 title. To each, their own.

2009 prediction:

9 wins
Big 12 title
Fiesta Bowl victory
Me drinking 100 beers in 5 days in Arizona celebrating the Fiesta Bowl

I only have a problem with optimism when it turns into delusion, then complaining. Delusion is cool too, as long as it doesn't turn into complaining. Maybe I just have a problem with complaining?

FarmerBrent is my hero. After the last three seasons, the optimism was about beaten out of me. FB reminded me that this whole football thing is supposed to be FUN. Who cares how wild you predict the season, as long as there's plenty of beer? Coach Rhoads and staff are making me believe. Get the offense on board with an exciting system, get the defense a little (o.k., a lot)more, well, offensive, and we've got hope. Cyclonepride reminded me that optimism is fine, just don't go Black Hole negative when things don't work out the way you hoped. Again, that's where the plenty of beer comes in.

akclone

Bookie
Nov 28, 2006

So are you worried about how we are judged by the other 11 teams in our league based on our optimism (which has been the only thing we have for the last 4-5 years) for a new coaching staff that actually wants to be employed here and secondly, probably actually knows what the hell they are doing.

I could give a **** less what some goober in Columbia, Lincoln, or Stillwater thinks about me or any of the rest of us as ISU fans. And I am sure they feel the same about us.

CO4Cy

Nov 19, 2008
Lafayette, CO
I would settle for going .500 with at least one conference win and at least one road win.

Even this would be a huge improvement over the last year. Lets take baby steps shall we?

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Is it pessimism or realism? We've had fans predicting 7+ win seasons in each of the last 3 years. And we've won a total of 9 games in those 3 seasons.

Granted, I was way off in '06 - bought into the hype and thought it was our year. Clearly, it wasn't. I thought we'd get no more than 4-5 wins in the past 2 seasons, was labeled pessimistic and I even overestimated.

Nah, I'd rather be realistic. Realism says, again, 4-5 wins. Hope to be wrong again, but one of these days I'd like to underestimate...

Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
Des Moines
I believe in a place called hope, others believe that's the same place to take a dump. And even though you are realistic Jeremy, it still doesn't ease the pain, does it? I prefer to have pie in the sky hopes before they are crushed. It just gives me a bit more happy time.

Help Support Us

Become a patron