Optimistic Idiots

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
As long as I see improvement, I'll be happy. I think with the new coaching staff, namely Herman, and the new offense we will be running, to say that we will have mastered it by kickoff September 3rd is somewhat foolish. Its something totally new, and some kinks will have to be worked out for sure. A steady progression is all im asking for.

As for the defense, Im looking for subtle things that have improved. Tackling, spacing on coverage, run/pass anticipation. Things that I believe better quaility coaching will improve upon. Im not expecting Jesse Smith to win the Butkus Award next year, but I am expecting him, along with others to improve over the winter and spring and into camp.

Wishful thinking tells me 6 wins, reality tells me 3-5. Guess matching Chizik's 2 year total in one year would put a smile on every Cyclones face, even if you preordered your Big XII title game tickets. Im very excited to see the spring game this year, and look forward to the upcoming season.

and 8000 threads making sure we've noticed:wideeyed:

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
Oh, and just because I predicted 7 doesn't mean I expect 7 wins or we fire the coach. I also won't be kicking the dog or looking for really high bridges if we don't get 7 wins.
I wasn't talking about anyone in particular, but there are some roll-coaster guys on here that are up one minute and down the next.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
So, even given the coaching change...

Take the same wins from this year..2

Add the fact that things like the last colorado play goes in +1

Add some talent and experience that stops the UNLV overtime catch +1

Add some experience and better gameday coaching to hold on to a 20 point lead at halftime over Kansas in Ames +1

The home team has won the CyHawk game for the last like 6 years or something like that and they didn't get control of this years game until the 4th quarter and are losing their far and away best player and only real offensive threat. +1

Six wins with next to no improvement. Given that we're not losing a whole bunch of upperclassmen and our team all now have some more gameday experience in addition to their talent.

We were 2 plays away from being a 4 win team this year. Add better game management and player experience to that and 3 more games winnable. Add Iowa at home.

You're right. 2 wins tops. Can't overcome getting rid of a horrible coach and getting what looks like a much improved coaching staff. Our football team just isn't smart enough to learn how to play a different offense. I mean it's not like they've done it the last two years. A lot of people made the excuses the last two years of still working in the system and getting the recruits in place. The only difference now is there are going to be more upperclassmen, it's still a new system. I believe in our guys being able to take a new system and getting the same results and better next year as the last two years.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
Why is 2-3 wins rediculously low? That is the same number we have won the last 2 years. I would say we win 3 and hopefully 4.

I can tell you why. Because last years two win team had 5-6 win team talent and the coaches pissed it down the drain. Frankly we have better coaches this year, an offense with everyone returning plus some real playmaker hitting the field that was really starting to move the ball well, a defense that, well, let's be honest simply couldn't have been coached any poorer and a schedule that's as easy as we'll see in a long time.

The Big 12 WILL be down next year and I don't think there's any question on that. My prediction is that we'll be in a lot of close games..a lot. If we can pull some out I think people are going to be happy with our W/L ratio.

Reactions: kingcy

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica

Add some experience and better gameday coaching to hold on to a 20 point lead at halftime over Kansas in Ames +1

The home team has won the CyHawk game for the last like 6 years or something like that and they didn't get control of this years game until the 4th quarter and are losing their far and away best player and only real offensive threat. +1

Six wins with next to no improvement. Given that we're not losing a whole bunch of upperclassmen and our team all now have some more gameday experience in addition to their talent.

We were 2 plays away from being a 4 win team this year. Add better game management and player experience to that and 3 more games winnable. Add Iowa at home.

You're right. 2 wins tops. Can't overcome getting rid of a horrible coach and getting what looks like a much improved coaching staff. Our football team just isn't smart enough to learn how to play a different offense. I mean it's not like they've done it the last two years. A lot of people made the excuses the last two years of still working in the system and getting the recruits in place. The only difference now is there are going to be more upperclassmen, it's still a new system. I believe in our guys being able to take a new system and getting the same results and better next year as the last two years.

I would support your reasoning, because it looks good to me, but it's not negative, and therefore unintelligent and uninspired. Try to get a little more pessimistic, please.:wideeyed::cool:

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
I wasn't talking about anyone in particular, but there are some roll-coaster guys on here that are up one minute and down the next.

You are correct on that. There are some people that go up and down so quickly, I am scared for the people in their lives. It makes me wonder how they react to anything adverse in their life.

Take a breath, folks. Life is going to keep going on.

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
There's nothing wrong with being optimistic. Most fans are. Look at the other sites, KSU fans think Snyder will return them to the glory days and they could win 9 games next year. CU's coach predicted 10. Nebraska thinks they will win the North. So does Mizzou. So does KU. That makes the preseason great.

Reactions: CycloneErik

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
There's nothing wrong with being optimistic. Most fans are. Look at the other sites, KSU fans think Snyder will return them to the glory days and they could win 9 games next year. CU's coach predicted 10. Nebraska thinks they will win the North. So does Mizzou. So does KU. That makes the preseason great.

Don't let the others hear you!

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Take a look back at last season. As bad as that team was it still had a shot to win 4 more games. With the players coming back and IF this staff is better at game coaching, 6-6 or a bit better isnt out of the question. A lot of teams in the Big 12 take a step back next year. As for beating Iowa, why not? The game is in Ames, Iowa is losing a great RB and some players on D.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
Take a look back at last season. As bad as that team was it still had a shot to win 4 more games. With the players coming back and IF this staff is better at game coaching, 6-6 or a bit better isnt out of the question. A lot of teams in the Big 12 take a step back next year. As for beating Iowa, why not? The game is in Ames, Iowa is losing a great RB and some players on D.

I'm with you.

Take that haters!

Reactions: kingcy

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica

Which is sort of important for a team built on running and defense.

farmerbrent

Feb 29, 2008
Well for me, being an Iowa State fan is entertainment and when I'm optimistic, it's fun. I like having fun. I know. Sounds radical. But I do. With that, every year I can convince myself that somehow we will win the Big 12 North, and somehow pull the upset in the Big 12 title game, and then I'll plan an exciting trip to whichever BCS bowl they play in. For me, that's exciting and fun. Granted, I'm usually drinking when I justify the Big 12 title, but that's fun, too. So, I do realize I'm an idiot. But I am having fun. Just like you have fun feeling smart, predicting we will suck again to show how smart you are when you are right, because you are smart. It would be fun to be smart and make sure everyone knew about it, but I'm not, So I just cheer for a Big 12 title. To each, their own.

2009 prediction:

9 wins
Big 12 title
Fiesta Bowl victory
Me drinking 100 beers in 5 days in Arizona celebrating the Fiesta Bowl

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
Well for me, being an Iowa State fan is entertainment and when I'm optimistic, it's fun. I like having fun. I know. Sounds radical. But I do. With that, every year I can convince myself that somehow we will win the Big 12 North, and somehow pull the upset in the Big 12 title game, and then I'll plan an exciting trip to whichever BCS bowl they play in. For me, that's exciting and fun. Granted, I'm usually drinking when I justify the Big 12 title, but that's fun, too. So, I do realize I'm an idiot. But I am having fun. Just like you have fun feeling smart, predicting we will suck again to show how smart you are when you are right, because you are smart. It would be fun to be smart and make sure everyone knew about it, but I'm not, So I just cheer for a Big 12 title. To each, their own.

2009 prediction:

9 wins
Big 12 title
Fiesta Bowl victory
Me drinking 100 beers in 5 days in Arizona celebrating the Fiesta Bowl

my kind of guy....

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Always remember the 2003 to 2004 seasons fyi. If you don't remember then I'd advise you to go do a little digging in the archives on cyclones.com.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames

Good post. To add to that, there was also momentum from the end of the prior season. No one expected the type of regression which our defense experienced this year. Could have been a very special year.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

The big thing I would say is that if, and maybe this is a big if, the Clones can at least show some signs of a defense against teams like CU,KSU, TAM, UNLV, then those games are very winable. Not predicting a great season next year, but there are a lot of marginal teams on the schedule, and some team improvement will win those games.

Help Support Us

Become a patron