Optimistic Idiots

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
:biggrin:Cmon guys Im sure we will be in BCS title contention next year duh

ChickenWing

Dec 22, 2008
Des Moines
Well for me, being an Iowa State fan is entertainment and when I'm optimistic, it's fun. I like having fun. I know. Sounds radical. But I do. With that, every year I can convince myself that somehow we will win the Big 12 North, and somehow pull the upset in the Big 12 title game, and then I'll plan an exciting trip to whichever BCS bowl they play in. For me, that's exciting and fun. Granted, I'm usually drinking when I justify the Big 12 title, but that's fun, too. So, I do realize I'm an idiot. But I am having fun. Just like you have fun feeling smart, predicting we will suck again to show how smart you are when you are right, because you are smart. It would be fun to be smart and make sure everyone knew about it, but I'm not, So I just cheer for a Big 12 title. To each, their own.

2009 prediction:

9 wins
Big 12 title
Fiesta Bowl victory
Me drinking 100 beers in 5 days in Arizona celebrating the Fiesta Bowl

Excellent post. Honestly, we all thrive off hope. We all know 2 win seasons are possible when we buy season tickets but we buy them because we're cyclone fans and we always hope for the best and when the best doesn't happen we still go, drink, hang out with friends and hope for a win that particular day.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I'd much rather be an optimist than a pessimist. It's all about attitude and life is just more fun if you're a positive optimist.:spinny:

I'd be happy with 5 or 6 wins next year and I think it's possible. 7 or 8 wins would totally exceed expectations and I might join the guy having 100 beers who posted earlier.

Our young team is going to be year older, we'll have some guys back who were hurt, and we'll hopefully have a Defensive coordinator who knows something.:skeptical:

True new coaching staff, new system etc etc which can be a hard transition. I think our new coach however is maybe one of the smartest guys we've had at the helm since Johnny Majors. Also did I read correctly that Rice only won 3 games last year and they're in a Bowl this year? It's possible(not likely) for ISU.

The Big 12 North is down next year. Chase Daniels is gone from Mizzu and you can't replace a guy like that. Nebraska graduates a lot of seniors. Colorado is Colorado and we can beat them in Ames. KState has an AARP member coaching them and they have new people as well to deal with.

The odds are better for us next year...However I'll be happy with 5 wins as it will show progress.:yes:

Last edited:

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I wouldn't call it reality. I hate when Pessimists use to word realists. :no: Because of course if you're Pessimistic you're going to think that your being real.

This team has won 5 games total in the last two seasons, including only 2 in one of the weakest schedules we've played in a long time.

I just don't understand where the overbearing optimism comes from.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
This team has won 5 games total in the last two seasons, including only 2 in one of the weakest schedules we've played in a long time.

It's all we got.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life as JFK said.

Really, I can't see things getting much worse?:eek:

Reactions: CycloneErik

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky

And i understand where you're coming from honestly. It's been frustrating, but I'm an optimistic guy, and even when things get bad i try to take the positives, and this team showed some positives even with how things went. Yes its going to be grueling and frustrating to watch sometimes, but I think under the right coaching, a gain in experience, and sharpening up of the defense, we can be in the thick of things and get some solid wins. I'd rather go through life being disappointed by being optimistic then always being down. That is me though, but i fully understand why someone can be a pessimist but what i dont understand is why people that show optimism have to be attacked.

Reactions: CycloneErik

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
And i understand where you're coming from honestly. It's been frustrating, but I'm an optimistic guy, and even when things get bad i try to take the positives, and this team showed some positives even with how things went. Yes its going to be grueling and frustrating to watch sometimes, but I think under the right coaching, a gain in experience, and sharpening up of the defense, we can be in the thick of things and get some solid wins. I'd rather go through life being disappointed by being optimistic then always being down. That is me though, but i fully understand why someone can be a pessimist but what i dont understand is why people that show optimism have to be attacked.

YR 2 will tell all i think his enthusiams is great

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
I only have a problem with optimism when it turns into delusion, then complaining. Delusion is cool too, as long as it doesn't turn into complaining. Maybe I just have a problem with complaining?

I usually don't turn into delusional...well not so far. Usually if things don't go the way I see it, I can figure out what went wrong and I accept it. I dont really ***** and moan about things that go the other way. But i do get frustrated.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Plus it certainly helps that you have a head coach that shows his emotion, pride, excitement...etc. before he even steps out of the field. And that WANTS to be here.

Last edited:

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I only have a problem with optimism when it turns into delusion, then complaining. Delusion is cool too, as long as it doesn't turn into complaining. Maybe I just have a problem with complaining?

I may be crazy but why not have faith as crazy as it might be go CPR he will do well

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I may be crazy but why not have faith as crazy as it might be go CPR he will do well

I have a lot of faith in all of our teams and coaches, and will be hanging on until the bitter end in every game, still thinking that they will find a way to pull it out. In my mind, the key is that even though I think they are going to pull off the big win or big upset, I don't freak out when it doesn't happen. I get upset, just like everyone else, and usually I avoid posting for the remainder of that day. I am almost always back to optimism by the next day.

Cyclonick182

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando, FL
Theres nothing wrong with trying to be positive given the lack of success lately. Despite my head telling me that it will likely be a 5ish win season given the past couple, but the optimisim will keep putting people in the seats in case the boys somehow do get to 6-8 wins!