Ohio State vs Georgia? (BCS title game discussion)

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
ESPN - Mizzou, WVU losses turn BCS standings into game of chance - College Football

ESPN.com: SPORTSNATION - SportsNation Polling - 3273

Updated: Dec. 1, 2007, 11:27 PM
Vote: Will the BCS get it right?

Thank you for voting. See below for the results from across SportsNation.

1) Do you think the two best teams in the country will play for the national title?

81.3%No
18.7%Yes

2) Is Ohio State one of the two best teams in the nation?

63.9%No
36.1%Yes

3) If Ohio State moves up to No. 1, which other team most deserves to play in the title game?

29.5%LSU
23.2%Georgia
12.9%Hawaii
10.5%Oklahoma
9.1%USC
7.3%Virginia Tech
6.1%Kansas
0.7%West Virginia
0.5%Missouri

4) Should college football have a playoff system?

85.5%Yes
14.5%No

5) If all were involved, which team below do you think would win a playoff this season?

21.3%LSU
20.4%USC
15.2%Georgia
13.4%Ohio State
11.8%Oklahoma
6.6%Florida
3.8%Virginia Tech
3.3%Hawaii
1.6%Kansas
1.4%West Virginia
0.7%Missouri
0.5%Arizona State

6) If college football adopted a playoff, how many teams should be included?

37.8%8
21.2%12 (top four seeds receive first-round byes)
17.9%16
13.4%6 (top two seeds receive first-round byes)
9.8%4

7) Would a playoff system make the regular season less compelling?

79.7%No
20.3%Yes

8) Would a playoff system make bowl games not involved in the playoff less compelling than current non-BCS games?

66.5%No
33.5%Yes

9) Which do you think would generate more interest if college football had a playoff system?

63.7%December Delirium in college football
36.3%March Madness in college basketball

10) As a fan, which better describes your take on the current state of affairs?

58.9%It's a complete joke and an embarrassment.
41.1%It's great drama and makes for good debate.

Total Votes: 212,863

Last edited:

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I do not like OU vs KU in the Fiesta, they should choose Hawaii with one of their slots so we get Georgia vs OU and Hawaii vs KU or something.

jakemcilroy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006
Follow me here...does anyone else think it is absolutely ridiculous that people are putting Kansas in the BCS over Missouri? Simply put...

The ONLY reason Kansas is getting in over Missouri is because they have 1 loss (compared to Mizzou's 2). But...the ONLY reason Missouri has 2 losses is BECAUSE THEY BEAT KANSAS (on a neutral field). So Kansas gets into the BCS because they got beat by Mizzou and didn't have the opportunity to lose to Oklahoma.

I'm a Cyclone fan, so I don't really care, but this makes no sense. If you want to leave Mizzou and Kansas both out, I'm ok with that, but YOU CAN'T put Kansas in over Mizzou.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
The whole BCS makes no sense. KU will get in over Mizzou. Pretty much guaranteed. KU lost to Mizzou, but will get the last laugh.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Re: Ohio State vs Georgia

Then I take it you are pized KU will not be playing for it.

No because KU has played no on this year and aren't conference champs because their 1 loss was agaisnt a team that lost the conference championship game. OSU is the Big 10 champ. What if they had played these last two weeks instead of being idle and finished as a 1 loss team still? Would this change anyone's opinion of them? That's my whole point. They did not back in because they still played out a 12 game schedule out, they just finished theirs before everyone else did. An 8 team playoff system would end the BCS madness but even then you'd have teams that just missed out on the last spots saying they deserved a spot too.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
I couldn't have asked for a better situation for college football this season. I knew after the first few weeks that this was going to head into a situation where almost every top 5 team has a legitimate claim to play for the national title. If they don't at least experiment with a playoff after this season, it would be a complete travesty.

Everyone keeps saying "that's what the regular season is for!" Bzzt, wrong! The regular season is there to determine who is the best team in a particular conference. How do you determine who is the best team in a land full of conference champions? Let them duke it out for the national title! Simple as that.

Last edited:

mharder

Apr 11, 2006
Rancho Cordova, CA
The best two teams are LSU and USC. This is the game I want to see. If Ohio St. does in fact get LSU in the title game, I'll find it hard to watch. LSU will be a double digit favorite over OSU and if they played USC the line would be close to even.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Last night during the Hawaii game, they said the most likely spot for Hawaii would be the Sugar bowl. It would be interesting if they played LSU there. Not that I think they would win, but LSU has been the darling all year long regardless of how they look on the field, and it would be great to see Hawaii beat them.

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
I haven't read all of the posts on this thread, so excuse me in advance if this has already been posted; but a number of reports are projecting that LSU will be playing Ohio State for the national championship. They project that LSU will leap frog over Georgia in the BCS rankings on the virtue of defeating Tennessee.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I just hope that whoever is picked, people get upset which may cause them to make changes to the BCS.

And ask Missouri if they like having some conferences play a conference championship and others don't. If the Big 12 didn't have a championship game, Missouri would be playing for the National Title.

Ohio State and USC avoid playing another game vs. a top 10/15 team without a championship game.

BvK1126

Apr 12, 2007
Denver, CO
The best two teams are LSU and USC. This is the game I want to see. If Ohio St. does in fact get LSU in the title game, I'll find it hard to watch. LSU will be a double digit favorite over OSU and if they played USC the line would be close to even.
Best in what way? Most talented? Does having the most talent automatically earn you a shot at the national title? Best as in most accomplished? Sorry, but I don't consider losing at home to a horrible Stanford team or losing to two SEC teams with .500 or worse conference records to be "accomplishments" worthy of getting you to the national championship game.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
I have no interest in seeing LSU vs Ohio State. I would like to see Georgia play either one and beat the snot out of them.

mharder

Apr 11, 2006
Rancho Cordova, CA
Best in what way? Most talented? Does having the most talent automatically earn you a shot at the national title? Best as in most accomplished? Sorry, but I don't consider losing at home to a horrible Stanford team or losing to two SEC teams with .500 or worse conference records to be "accomplishments" worthy of getting you to the national championship game.

Every team has bad losses. They're also teams who have played tougher schedules than others. I do not want to watch another slow and unathletic little 11 team get manhandled by a physically and athletically superior team again.

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
Every team has bad losses. They're also teams who have played tougher schedules than others. I do not want to watch another slow and unathletic little 11 team get manhandled by a physically and athletically superior team again.

Hawaii doesn't have bad losses.:smile:

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I just hope that whoever is picked, people get upset which may cause them to make changes to the BCS.

And ask Missouri if they like having some conferences play a conference championship and others don't. If the Big 12 didn't have a championship game, Missouri would be playing for the National Title.

Ohio State and USC avoid playing another game vs. a top 10/15 team without a championship game.

Here's another OSU bit, if they had a conference championship game who would they have played and do you really think that anyone still would have beat them? It's possible yes but doubtful. I'm guessing if they had the Little 11 split into 2 divisions that Michigan and maybe Illinois would have still been in OSU's division? Depends on how they split it up but lets say they would have played someone like Wisconsin or Penn State maybe? The next best record in the Big 10 this year was two 9-3 teams overall and 6-2 conference records. I still think OSU beats whoever they play in a conference championship game this year. Their 1 loss this season was by 1 TD to Illinois, they beat all the ranked teams on their schedule, and most of the wins weren't even close except for Michigan (rivalry game) and Mich. State (7 points.)

This year we'll never know who truely deserved to play in the big game until all the bowls are played out but under the current system OSU has the resume to be 1 of the 2 teams whether people think they deserve it or not.

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
Very funny. Hawaii does not belong in the National Championship game..

Why not? They are the only team that has earned anything this season. The only thing they don't have is name recognition, but they've done everything else.

BCS ok. Championship game no. I'd like to see them play a team like Kansas. If they play LSU, USC, or Georgia they will get taken behind the woodshed.

Has anyone seriously ever watched Hawaii??? How can anyone think they would get destroyed if they've watched them play?? I don't think I've ever been more frustrated with College Football than this year. The national title game is a joke. It's like voting for Prom King. The prettiest and most popular teams are going to get in. The BCS is a travesty, and I wouldn't be surprised to have 2 teams voted as National Champs.

And if Hawaii played Kansas, I think Hawaii would take them behind the woodshed.

Help Support Us

Become a patron