Ohio State vs Georgia? (BCS title game discussion)

kccyclone

Oct 23, 2006
Olathe, KS
I think the two best teams in the country right now are USC (now that they are healthy) and Oklahoma. However, no one is talking about them. Who wants to see Ohio State and Georgia? Ohio State and LSU? Ohio State and Va Tech? I think Ohio State would have struggled with Mizzou's or West Virgina's spread offense, but they will match up better with Georgia, LSU or Va Tech. That being said, they will lose the national championship game no matter who they play!

peachy

Oct 14, 2006
Take that even one step further. There should be a mandatory rule stating "You can't play in the National Title game unless you win your conference." Period. Georgia, in the title game? Heck, they didn'y even make their conference championship, let alone make it to the title game. OSU? Well, at least they are the conference champ. There should also be another rule, if your conference does not have a title game, and there is a tie, there should be a +1 game. For example, if 2 teams go undefeated in the B10, and they do not play each other during the regular season, they must play an extra game at the end of the season to determine who the champ is.

I looked at Georgia's schedule. They lost to Tennessee, who just got beat by LSU. They also lost to S. Carolina, who just lost 5 straight games to end the season. Does anyone really believe Georgia should be in the title game over LSU? Seriously, Georgia in the title game makes me mad, what a joke. YOU SHOULD HAVE TO WIN YOUR CONFERENCE TO PLAY FOR A FREAKIN NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enginerd

Apr 11, 2006
Re: Ohio State vs Georgia

For all those who are saying OSU backed into the championship game... They played 12 games just like everyone else and only lost ONE of them. That is not backing it, its called everyone else still playing CHOKED and OSU DESERVES to be in the game because they won 11 of 12 games. It doesn't matter that they have not played in 2 weeks, they still played out 12 games just like everyone else has.

Then I take it you are pized KU will not be playing for it.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
What is pized?

I understand many of us are frustrated that an OSU team with an average at best resume will be playing in the title game - but I don't think we need to get snippy with one another because of our opinions on who belongs and who doesn't.

Enginerd

Apr 11, 2006
What is pized?

I understand many of us are frustrated that an OSU team with an average at best resume will be playing in the title game - but I don't think we need to get snippy with one another because of our opinions on who belongs and who doesn't.

Sorry Mom. You can assume it was "snippy" or joking around. I guess it depends on how well life is treating you. Lighten up Francis. I only care about the Clones but I find it humorous OSU is a lock and KU isn't even considered when their resumes are similar.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
trav is entitled to his opinion without you getting on him, that's all I was saying. Certainly didn't seem like a joke when you put a few posts together.

The only person resorting to jumping on other members here is you - otherwise everyone else is playing nicely.

Signed,

Mom

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
What a huge stinking pile the BCS championship will be. I guess that frees up one extra night for me. Death to the BCS

Yeah, unless Kansas sneaks in somehow, I have no real interest in seeing Ohio St. play an SEC team ...again. I want to see some fresh blood in there.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Just realize that in 2001, Nebraska didn't win the North, Colorado did, and Nebraska ended up in the National Title game.

Same could happen with Georgia.

BvK1126

Apr 12, 2007
Denver, CO

I read somewhere that the NCAA doesn't even recognize a champion and that it's just the BCS champion and not the NCAA champion. Can anyone confirm this or deny this?
That is correct. The NCAA does not award a championship trophy for Division I-A football. It is the only sport in which the NCAA does not award a championship. The only extent to which the NCAA "recognizes" a national champion in Division I-A football is to acknowledge that various poll organizations and the BCS award trophies to the teams that they designate as champions. For more info, check out these links:

Past Division I Football Bowl Subdivision (Division I FBS) National Champions (formerly called Division I-A)

NCAA Division I-A national football championship - Wikipedia

BvK1126

Apr 12, 2007
Denver, CO

Why should Georgia be in it? They didn't even win their own division.....
Why not Georgia? If I were a voter, I would seriously consider Georgia over LSU. I'm not saying I would definitely vote Georgia #2, but I think they're every bit as deserving as LSU. Why the heck should LSU get a third crack at the BCS title game when they've choked it up twice already this season? Georgia has finished the season playing as good of football as anybody in the country. Shouldn't that count for something? Frankly, if ever there was a year when a conference runner-up should be crowned national champion, this topsy-turvy year is it.

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
This whole controversy makes me sick. It's big name, after another big name. The only team I think that has earned a shot at the National championship is Hawaii. They've won every single week and they barely move up in the polls, while other teams jump them (Kansas) with similar schedules. Hawaii started out at #20 and the highest they've been is #11 (AP Poll), but how would they rank in the BCS if they were voted higher in those weeks? Some weeks they even dropped in the polls despite winning their game or even when they didn't even play. This whole BCS gammit is ridiculous. Who's #1 if Hawaii wins their BCS bowl game? I think to not even talk about them being in the BCS title game is a tragedy.

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
Just realize that in 2001, Nebraska didn't win the North, Colorado did, and Nebraska ended up in the National Title game.
Same could happen with Georgia.

I could have sworn that the BCS rules changed after that year to not allow a team in the title game that had not won their conference. Either I'm wrong or they rescinded that rule change because I haven't heard that brought up at all.

This is a stupid question but I honestly don't know the answer. Is the coaches poll one of the human polls used?? If it is then that is ridiculous. A. How many coaches have seen all the pertinant teams play?? B. I don't think coaches fill out the ballots themselves, they have someone else do it. When Donnie Duncan was here, he had his recruiting coordinator do it.

What poll is the Harris Poll?? I heard on the radio that the final ballot is made public so you know how each person voted. What I don't know is who votes in that poll.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I could have sworn that the BCS rules changed after that year to not allow a team in the title game that had not won their conference. Either I'm wrong or they rescinded that rule change because I haven't heard that brought up at all.

This is a stupid question but I honestly don't know the answer. Is the coaches poll one of the human polls used?? If it is then that is ridiculous. A. How many coaches have seen all the pertinant teams play?? B. I don't think coaches fill out the ballots themselves, they have someone else do it. When Donnie Duncan was here, he had his recruiting coordinator do it.

What poll is the Harris Poll?? I heard on the radio that the final ballot is made public so you know how each person voted. What I don't know is who votes in that poll.
If I remember right, the Harris poll is made up of specifically selected football people. Former coaches, etc. You know, most years, the BCS sucks because you have three undefeated teams. This year it sucks because there is absolutely no clear cut #1 and #2. When it does work out it is nothing more than luck and the pre-BCS system worked just as well for that.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
75% it will be OSU-LSU
15% it will be OSU-USC
5% it will be OSU-UGA
5% it will be OSU-VaTech

Hate to say it but the Big 12 has zero chance of being in the game. The media is pushing LSU so I think that is most likely by far. USC would be next choice with the media.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006

You know... by not including Hawaii, and taking 2 2 loss teams, you are saying unless you are in a BCS conference, you are not in the same division. They might as well become Div 1AA because they will not be treated fairly.

Exactly...what's the use of being a Division One team if you win all your games and cant play for the championship? This is a joke. How about Kansas Hawaii in a bowl?

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown

Exactly...what's the use of being a Division One team if you win all your games and cant play for the championship? This is a joke. How about Kansas Hawaii in a bowl?

Those are the two best records in football. I think Hawaii should get in, they deserve it, all they did was go out and win every game on their schedule.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
If Hawaii wins their BCS bowl, they will split the title. The AP will vote Hawaii #1 and the BCS poll will go with whoever wins their "championship game".

uro cy

Oct 28, 2006

Those are the two best records in football. I think Hawaii should get in, they deserve it, all they did was go out and win every game on their schedule.

tOSU has the same record as KU and won their conference...