*** Official Selection Sunday Thread ***

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
It's dumb, but it's an argument that a lot of people are willing to accept unfortunately. It's why I don't have much hope for a 1 tomorrow. The selection committee let us know they were going to hit us for the non-con with their mid-season seedings. So instead of a 1 we will most likely get a 2, which will still be amazing.

If we're being fair, NOBODY thought ISU was a #1 seed when that top 16 was released, and we were only starting to be considered for a #2, so I don't hold it against the committee for having us on the 3 line back then. Hell - before this week started most people had dropped us back to the 3 line again. But a lot of things changed this week.

I have a sneaking suspicion that we're still going to be a 2 when the brackets are revealed later today, but the fact that it's even a serious discussion at this point when we weren't even in the discussion a week ago is in itself something to be happy about.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
About the only aspects it's not is ISU had a much weaker nonconference schedule (a dumb metric to judge a team by when teams are 3 months removed from it), and UNC was a regular season champion of a by far inferior conference, whereas ISU finished second in the most difficult conference in college basketball.

Not just the fact that its 3 months from it, it doesn't even really do what it purports to.

Like, people justify it because they're like 'teams should schedule tough games', but when most of that metric isn't those tough games it falls flat. Most teams nonconferences really have 2 portions: about 5 cross-conference games that are meant to be somewhat challenging, and then a bunch of buy games.

We scheduled 8 buy games like everyone else. Those buy games were extremely bad but functionally a team that scheduled 200 Net teams instead of 300 net teams wouldn't be any more challenged by that schedule but would get a much nicer number on their team sheet. And this is all largely unpredictable anyway.

So lets say we came up with a metric that threw out those 8 games and just looked at the rest. I'd argue that metric wouldn't really do what it was designed to do either. Because its not how college basketball scheduling works. Teams schedule these neutral site tournaments years in advance before anyone can know the quality. And the prestige of those tournaments often depends on your own success level (and we weren't exactly in-demand). We really didn't have much of a choice in any of this portion of our scheduling, between the tournament, our rivalry game with Iowa, and the big east game being picked for us. How does penalizing for this change something that was mostly out of our control?

Plus that metric is an extremely small sample size for most teams given its like 5 games. Why should that be given so much weight over a full conference and conference tournament slate? Especially when, as noted, it isn't really something most programs have control over?

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
So I suppose this is an unanswerable question.... but if we are a lock 2-seed in Omaha, those are Thurs/SAT games, correct? does anyone have a clue of which time slot we would play?

Reactions: farmland_foundling

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
About the only aspects it's not is ISU had a much weaker nonconference schedule (a dumb metric to judge a team by when teams are 3 months removed from it), and UNC was a regular season champion of a by far inferior conference, whereas ISU finished second in the most difficult conference in college basketball.
But Clemson says the big12 rigged the NET and the ACC is better, so ...:rolleyes::puke:

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006

clonechemist

Apr 3, 2007
Philadelphia
Not just the fact that its 3 months from it, it doesn't even really do what it purports to.

Like, people justify it because they're like 'teams should schedule tough games', but when most of that metric isn't those tough games it falls flat. Most teams nonconferences really have 2 portions: about 5 cross-conference games that are meant to be somewhat challenging, and then a bunch of buy games.

We scheduled 8 buy games like everyone else. Those buy games were extremely bad but functionally a team that scheduled 200 Net teams instead of 300 net teams wouldn't be any more challenged by that schedule but would get a much nicer number on their team sheet. And this is all largely unpredictable anyway.

So lets say we came up with a metric that threw out those 8 games and just looked at the rest. I'd argue that metric wouldn't really do what it was designed to do either. Because its not how college basketball scheduling works. Teams schedule these neutral site tournaments years in advance before anyone can know the quality. And the prestige of those tournaments often depends on your own success level (and we weren't exactly in-demand). We really didn't have much of a choice in any of this portion of our scheduling, between the tournament, our rivalry game with Iowa, and the big east game being picked for us. How does penalizing for this change something that was mostly out of our control?

Plus that metric is an extremely small sample size for most teams given its like 5 games. Why should that be given so much weight over a full conference and conference tournament slate? Especially when, as noted, it isn't really something most programs have control over?

Not only that, but we played in a non-con tournament of 8 teams featuring the preseason #10 and #15 ranked teams, along with another team getting AP votes (Boise State).

We TRIED to play tough opponents. You can’t expect teams to do any more than that. Should we be held responsible for the fact that FAU and A&M didn’t live up to the hype? Alternatively, why should those teams get credit for playing us early in the year when we were considered totally average at the time.

It’s beyond stupid.

• Informative
Reactions: CyNews and aauummm

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
The non-con thing is just a way of the blue bloods preserving their turf now that everyone can pay their players above-water. No elite team is going to schedule a home-and-home with us and none of the "marquee" pre-conference invitationals are going to regularly feature a team without a "national brand". So this "you have to play a top-tier non-con to get a #1 seed" heuristic is invented. They'd be saying the exact same sh*t if we'd played a couple more Q3s plus Creighton at home or something.

"You can't be a #1 seed with a #xxx non-con SOS" [insert whatever ISU's ranking is for xxx]

Last edited:
Reactions: Craig4IState

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Resume wise we deserve it IMO. It comes down to us and UNC likely, and our resume is better from almost every angle. Not a huge margin between the two, but a clearly visible difference. And even if they were essentially tied, winning vs not winning a conference tourney should break that (especially given who we beat and who they lost to there)
One of two teams that dominated the best conference in the country by far. The Big 12 deserves two 1 seeds, and these Cyclones definitely earned that honor.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
So I suppose this is an unanswerable question.... but if we are a lock 2-seed in Omaha, those are Thurs/SAT games, correct? does anyone have a clue of which time slot we would play?
Those are revealed tonight after the brackets are released.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Only three scenarios that would upset me today:
1. No Omaha
2. East region with UCONN
3. Playing the Thursday 11:00 game. I hate playing that first game. Seems like there’s more upsets in that slot.
1. Locked to Omaha
2. Takes a hell of an effort just to get to that game. Going to play a great team no matter what.
3. You never know what TV is going to do but with the number of tickets Iowa State fans are going to buy up it's not going to be sleepy and Iowa State has played early several times this year.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Only three scenarios that would upset me today:
1. No Omaha
2. East region with UCONN
3. Playing the Thursday 11:00 game. I hate playing that first game. Seems like there’s more upsets in that slot.

I keep saying it but having any team with familiar ties in the potential 2nd round match up.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
As long as we don't get sent to Boston as the 2 opposite Uconn I'll be extremely happy.

We can't play Houston again and Purdue, UNC, Arizona, and Tennessee don't scare me one bit.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Resume wise we deserve it IMO. It comes down to us and UNC likely, and our resume is better from almost every angle. Not a huge margin between the two, but a clearly visible difference. And even if they were essentially tied, winning vs not winning a conference tourney should break that (especially given who we beat and who they lost to there)
There isn't a huge margin between the two, but there sort of is.

UNC cannot change the fact that they lost to a team yesterday that wasn't even on the bubble without an automatic bid by winning the ACC tournament, and ISU thrashed the #1 team in the country. That HAS to matter.

I'm sorry but anyone's argument about non-con strength of schedule is invalid at this point.

Help Support Us

Become a patron