*** Official Kansas State vs #23 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
It's a W baby, Hilton is still safe for another game. 6 more games and we can have that rare unicorn of a undefeated home season. Not counting on it yet, but keep believing.
GO CYCLONES!!
Should not be a unicorn

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I know this is late, but I just returned home from the game.

I took a work friend with me to the game tonight in Section 111. He's a diehard NBA guy -- never misses a San Antonio Spurs game, knows every coach and player and roster up and down leaguewide.

He rarely watches college games. So he's about as blank of a slate as you can have when it comes to how NCAA games go but he's relatively knowledgeable as a fan about how basketball works.

Midway through the second half, he leaned over and asked me...

"Man, this is the worst officiating I've ever seen in a basketball game. How do you do this night after night?"

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I know this is late, but I just returned home from the game.

I took a work friend with me to the game tonight in Section 111. He's a diehard NBA guy -- never misses a San Antonio Spurs game, knows every coach and player and roster up and down leaguewide.

He rarely watches college games. So he's about as blank of a slate as you can have when it comes to how NCAA games go but he's relatively knowledgeable as a fan about how basketball works.

Midway through the second half, he leaned over and asked me...

"Man, this is the worst officiating I've ever seen in a basketball game. How do you do this night after night?"

I really think people can't know how bad it is unless they watch a fair amount of NBA games.

Especially the last couple years with the officiating tweaks in the NBA and even a challenge system. Some of the calls we get the maddest about just don't exist in the NBA anymore because players just know they will be called if they do it. That leg kick bs foul for three free throws in the first half just does not happen anymore when even five years ago it was really common, if it does happen it's a foul on the shooter.

The annoying reality where Kobe or LeBron or MJ get some beneficial calls because of their greatness is nothing compared to the out of control ridiculous calls we had tonight. Watching Lipsey get hammered on a made basket with no call near halftime...then later in the game they're calling fouls that have NO CONTACT at all on both teams or fouls that are obvious flops, it was really bad.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I really think people can't know how bad it is unless they watch a fair amount of NBA games.

Especially the last couple years with the officiating tweaks in the NBA and even a challenge system. Some of the calls we get the maddest about just don't exist in the NBA anymore because players just know they will be called if they do it. That leg kick bs foul for three free throws in the first half just does not happen anymore when even five years ago it was really common, if it does happen it's a foul on the shooter.

The annoying reality where Kobe or LeBron or MJ get some beneficial calls because of their greatness is nothing compared to the out of control ridiculous calls we had tonight. Watching Lipsey get hammered on a made basket with no call near halftime...then later in the game they're calling fouls that have NO CONTACT at all on both teams or fouls that are obvious flops, it was really bad.

Why is the NBA so much better?

Is it "systematic" somehow?

Or does is the median NBA referee just that much better than a college one?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I know Tang is sucking up a lot of the post game air with his antics, but I am really excited about Curt Jones trajectory. He's really becoming a reliable player, and I think he may win us a game or two somehwere along the way. He seems like he's building towards a big shooting performance at some point.

I'm not comparing this team to the Big 12 title teams (not yet)...but those teams were really deep at guard. Obviously Fizer helped the first one but they won a ton of Big 12 games the next year really just with guard dominance.

Tinsley is obvious but Horton was All Big 12 level both years (I can't remember if he actually was but he could have been), Nurse was really really good that first championship team and Sullivan could shoot the lights out the next year.

Tamin wasn't great tonight but I think everyone feels he's the real deal. Gilbert has a ton of potential, C Jones is starting to show it. They all play great defense.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
I know Tang is sucking up a lot of the post game air with his antics, but I am really excited about Curt Jones trajectory. He's really becoming a reliable player, and I think he may win us a game or two somehwere along the way. He seems like he's building towards a big shooting performance at some point.
That late 3 by CJ off the touch pass from Milan off the offensive rebound by Gilbert was absolutely huge. He had some timely shots and was solid from the line.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Why is the NBA so much better?

Is it "systematic" somehow?

Or does is the median NBA referee just that much better than a college one?

I think they treat it more like a business and people don't pay $$$ to watch the refs.

When something gets really bad like the shooters creating 3 point fouls kicking out their legs they ask if they can fix it, then they actually do. That was actually much worse in the NBA than in college and a few years later they have totally wiped it out. They didn't even need the challenge system to get rid of that BS, but they instituted it for other things and imho it works great. The refs are stopping to review things in college basketball anyway, so why can't a coach have them review that Milan actually just tripped or that Tre King did nothing on his fifth foul and the correct call was to call KSU's player for flopping?

I think the actual refs are better because it's the NBA, but at this point the NBA rules implemented consistently with typical high school refs could be better than major college games.

cyclonekrazie

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2023
Don’t know if he has won us the last 2, but played vital role. Hopefully he can win us 2 more sometime

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclad and NENick

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Yeah it elevates our team to a whole new level

Reactions: NENick

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Based on Williams tweet about K-State coaches yelling "cheating mother-fers", I had to break down the handshake encounter.

My amateur lip-reading has Tang saying "I'm not accusing you" at the start of this video. Then he points toward the basket where the managers/floor sweepers sit and says something to the effect of "two kids (or guys?) under the basket". Then he makes that motion with his right hand that appears to mimic someone recording something on their phone and you can see he mouths the word "video", then he makes a texting motion and you can tell he says "texting" before pointing up higher into the stands.

So he thinks the managers are recording their huddle and texting it to... someone? Isn't one of the key features of a huddle is that no one can see inside of it? What video are they taking? And even if it were true, what could the managers possibly have captured and who could they be texting it to during the game? Seems incredibly bizarre and far-fetched. Also, imagine your head coach being worried about this DURING THE GAME. Loser behavior.

He’s gonna be real mad when he finds out that ESPN routinely sends cameras in to record their huddle and puts it on national TV.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Based on Williams tweet about K-State coaches yelling "cheating mother-fers", I had to break down the handshake encounter.

My amateur lip-reading has Tang saying "I'm not accusing you" at the start of this video. Then he points toward the basket where the managers/floor sweepers sit and says something to the effect of "two kids (or guys?) under the basket". Then he makes that motion with his right hand that appears to mimic someone recording something on their phone and you can see he mouths the word "video", then he makes a texting motion and you can tell he says "texting" before pointing up higher into the stands.

So he thinks the managers are recording their huddle and texting it to... someone? Isn't one of the key features of a huddle is that no one can see inside of it? What video are they taking? And even if it were true, what could the managers possibly have captured and who could they be texting it to during the game? Seems incredibly bizarre and far-fetched. Also, imagine your head coach being worried about this DURING THE GAME. Loser behavior.
Maybe he was wanting to pull phone video to ID whoever threw whatever? That would be fine and a rational request. If he hadnt been freaking tf like a crystal meth tweaker out while making said request.

Maybe there was a reason he stayed an asst in Waco all those years. Maybe he just doesnt have the temperment to be the head guy.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Maybe he was wanting to pull phone video to ID whoever threw whatever? That would be fine and a rational request. If he hadnt been freaking tf like a crystal meth tweaker out while making said request.

Maybe there was a reason he stayed an asst in Waco all those years. Maybe he just doesnt have the temperment to be the head guy.

And he thought TJ ran the video department? The head referee would have more access to that than TJ.

Reactions: Acer88

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Wouldn't have won tonight or at TCU without him.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I think they treat it more like a business and people don't pay $$$ to watch the refs.

When something gets really bad like the shooters creating 3 point fouls kicking out their legs they ask if they can fix it, then they actually do. That was actually much worse in the NBA than in college and a few years later they have totally wiped it out. They didn't even need the challenge system to get rid of that BS, but they instituted it for other things and imho it works great. The refs are stopping to review things in college basketball anyway, so why can't a coach have them review that Milan actually just tripped or that Tre King did nothing on his fifth foul and the correct call was to call KSU's player for flopping?

I think the actual refs are better because it's the NBA, but at this point the NBA rules implemented consistently with typical high school refs could be better than major college games.
The refs for the most part are younger in the NBA, which allows them to get up and down the court better. Making it easier to get the correct angle to make the call.

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
The refs weren't good, but that game would've been hard to officiate.