***Official Bench Steele Jantz thread***

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
This wasn't just one bad game, our offense has been less than impressive all season, and against the two BCS opponents we have faced, we have been particularly ineffective.

vs Iowa, we score 9 points. In Iowa's other games this year they gave up the following:
17 to Northern Illinois
16 to Northern Iowa
13 to Minnesota

And for TT we scored 13, thanks to a defensive TD. Other TT opponents:
6 to Northwestern State
10 to Texas State
14 to New Mexico

If this was the middle of conference play, great. But right now our offensive numbers against BCS opponents are worse than the numbers of the mid major and 1-AA cream puffs that they have been playing in September. Something has to change. Might as well look at QB, since we have a guy on the bench right now with several Big 12 wins under his belt.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
We have a quarterback with several wins on the roster. We don't have a single quarterback with several conference wins on the roster.

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
We have a quarterback with several wins on the roster. We don't have a single quarterback with several conference wins on the roster.

huh? JB came in last year amidst a four game conference losing streak to win three conference games in a row, two over ranked teams, got ISU bowl eligible, and led the team to the greatest win in the recent history of the program.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
3 is several?

Not to mention if he was so great you would think he would've beaten out Jantz during spring ball, over the summer, or fall camp. Well ****, that didn't happen.

Unfortunately for us the quarterback position is not a strong suit. As poorly as Jantz has played, Barnett has performed worse in practice. That tells me all I need to know.

Barnett nor Jantz has proven they are a Big 12 quarterback unfortunately. Right now the people paid to make the choices see Jantz as the better option. If they thought Barnett was the better option, do you think maybe they'd have him on the field? Or is Coach Rhoads just seeing how many games he can lose?

Running the ball themselves: Push. Both are capable.
Zone read: Advantage Barnett.
Throwing the ball: Advantage Jantz and it isn't even remotely close. Neither are accurate throwing the ball and Barnett has about as much arm strength as the cheerleaders.
Ball security: Push. Neither knows how to take care of the damn thing. :mad:

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
huh? JB came in last year amidst a four game conference losing streak to win three conference games in a row, two over ranked teams, got ISU bowl eligible, and led the team to the greatest win in the recent history of the program.

I wouldn't say he led the team to the win... He damn near tried to make sure they didn't get it though with two fumbles and a pick in the fourth quarter.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
Both are equal in pretty much everything (including mistakes) but the run/read.

Barnett will either be starting or in the game next Saturday pretty quick.

Reactions: CyDude16

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
A. The whole team has performed poorly.

B. If jantz has a poor first half vs tcu, put him on the bench. Idc if you are peyton manning, if you are killing the team- you don't play.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Funny but true...We have the worst offensive coordinator in the big 12, Hell you could make the case that Mess is worse than Robert McFarland who got FIRED by Cheese Dip Chizik.

McFarland as OC with Burnham as DC and we would have consistent 7-8 win seasons...pretty sad that one of the best DCs that has been at Iowa State is with one of the worst offensive eras in ISU history.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
A. The whole team has performed poorly.

B. If jantz has a poor first half vs tcu, put him on the bench. Idc if you are peyton manning, if you are killing the team- you don't play.

Why do we need to see any more Jantz? He has proven to be the same QB this year that he was last year. He is still winless in Big 12 play. I don't need another half of football to know what we are going to get there. Why not take a look at what JB can do? Jantz may be looking better on the practice field, but for one reason or another it isn't translating to gameday.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
You word it much better, though yes I do think both of them would have struggled to pass against Tech. Jantz's picks in this game weren't all on him. That fumble sure was. I think that the blame for this loss is more on the coaches who call the plays rather than all on Jantz. You can bench him and call the same plays with another QB if you want, but I don't believe you'll see a much different result. We will see who wins out this week and starts against TCU. You all could be right about who should start. Who knows? We'll see on saturday.
The intercepted pass to Brun was thrown into the crowd. Only a great play by Brun to get his hands on it almost resulted in a catch.Some people would not have thrown that ball to that target.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
The intercepted pass to Brun was thrown into the crowd. Only a great play by Brun to get his hands on it almost resulted in a catch.Some people would not have thrown that ball to that target.
Into a crowd? It was 1 man. The free safety arrived late and the corner was coming from the outside receiver. If you call that a "crowd" we better never throw the ball because there are almost always 3 guys within 10 yards of the ball.

Cyclone1985

Nov 18, 2008
Grimes
I dont really care who is out there, but we cannot continue to shoot ourselves in the foot.

All this team needs is a "Kyle Orton" type QB - makes the right reads, throws the easy routes, no risk taking throwing into tight windows.
Instead, we have a "Jay Cutler" type QB (minus the pouting) - making too many bad decisions and putting too much pressure on the defense.

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
There was a defender directly in front of the reciever and SJ led Brun DIRECTLY into the saftey coming over. Nothing like getting your receivers smashed by defenders by putting them in horrible situations. That one is ALL on Steele.

Cyclone1985

Nov 18, 2008
Grimes
You know whats wrong with that play..... we have a 3rd and 7, QB can't hit the broad side of a barn and Mess calls for 4 deep routes!? WTF

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
There was a defender directly in front of the reciever and SJ led Brun DIRECTLY into the saftey coming over. Nothing like getting your receivers smashed by defenders by putting them in horrible situations. That one is ALL on Steele.
No he didn't. The safety was coming onto Brun at an angle. Brun had enough time to catch the ball AND turn around. The helmet ended up on the ball. Not a lot you can do there.

I assume you don't think we should throw slants since the receiver generally hits hit immediately after catching it? Or routes downfield unless the safety is beat because otherwise the receiver is going to get hit. This is football not a dance recital.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
When Jantz was named the starter I was nervous and well so far it has come true. Barnett is a smarter QB, but his arm is not very good. Rip me if you want I want Richardson to be given a chance I honestly think he has the best most accurate arm on this team. Put him in there do some short passes to build confidence and go from there, we do not need sexy we need an accurate arm with better decision making skills and owning TOP, scoring points, and better field vision.

cyclones18

Apr 20, 2010
Ames
the reality is that in 10-11 games SJ has thrown 17 TD's to 18 INT plus fumbles of which he as at least 3 this season. just sayin

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron