***Official Bench Steele Jantz thread***

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
When Jantz was named the starter I was nervous and well so far it has come true. Barnett is a smarter QB, but his arm is not very good. Rip me if you want I want Richardson to be given a chance I honestly think he has the best most accurate arm on this team. Put him in there do some short passes to build confidence and go from there, we do not need sexy we need an accurate arm with better decision making skills and owning TOP, scoring points, and better field vision.

What are you basing your Richardson accurate arm comments on? I too would honestly like Richardson because even with the 3rd string he led the offense with the zone read to a TD against W. Illinois. But he never threw once on that drive. They played zone read and I think a couple direct hand offs.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
With Steele in there I feel like we're always playing not to lose which gets us into situations where we have to make a play which turns in to a turnover.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
You know whats wrong with that play..... we have a 3rd and 7, QB can't hit the broad side of a barn and Mess calls for 4 deep routes!? WTF

I think it was a great play call. It's an easy decision for Jantz to make. You ignore the two outside receivers, and focus on the 2 seam routes and White. If both safeties sit back and cover the seam routes, you throw it to White who is being covered by a linebacker. Easy first down if executed correctly since safeties will be pushed deep by the 4 deep routes.

If one of the safeties comes up to help on White, you look at one seam route to try to push the safety over, and throw it to the other seam route. This is exactly what Jantz did when he saw one safety creeping up. He couldn't scramble since the safety crept up and the safety and the LB would've owned Jantz and White if he tried to run for it.

I think Steele did nearly everything right mentally, and then made a great throw. The only quibble you could have with him is that he could've thrown it to West rather than Brun, but then West would be the guy getting lit up by the safety and I sure wouldn't want that. Brun just needed to hold onto the ball. Sometimes the defense just makes the play.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
Andrew Logue made a good point on KXNO today. The playcalling could be handcuffing Jantz. All the special plays we remember about Jantz have been when he has rolled to his right and turned a broken play into something good. Jantz is obviously most comfortable on the move and looks like least comfortable running the zone read.

So my question is, what prevents the coaches playing to Jantz strength. No more zone read and how about pistol formation hand offs. Get the ground game going and then pull some bootleg play action where Jantz rolls to his right where he is most comfortable for big passing plays. Could still keep the bubble screens and perhaps even some RB screens

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Andrew Logue made a good point on KXNO today. The playcalling could be handcuffing Jantz. All the special plays we remember about Jantz have been when he has rolled to his right and turned a broken play into something good. Jantz is obviously most comfortable on the move and looks like least comfortable running the zone read.

So my question is, what prevents the coaches playing to Jantz strength. No more zone read and how about pistol formation hand offs. Get the ground game going and then pull some bootleg play action where Jantz rolls to his right where he is most comfortable for big passing plays. Could still keep the bubble screens and perhaps even some RB screens

I think it's worth a shot, but a negative to the pistol is that you can't run all of the variants of the zone read out of the pistol, and it can be harder for the QB to make the reads.

Of course, if he really doesn't make that many correct reads from the shotgun, then who cares if they make it more difficult for him.

CychoCyclone

Oct 27, 2011
Cedar Rapids

Agree with this 100%

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
I think it's worth a shot, but a negative to the pistol is that you can't run all of the variants of the zone read out of the pistol, and it can be harder for the QB to make the reads.

Of course, if he really doesn't make that many correct reads from the shotgun, then who cares if they make it more difficult for him.

If what I posted were to happen, no more zone read. All I want is Jantz handing the ball off into the gut of White, Johnson, and Woody. What is killing the team IMO is when the wrong read is made on the zone read, you run right into a defender. Jantz got sacked 4 times but just going by the box score stats, he rushed 19 times for 14 yards.

White and Johnson rushed 18 times and 101 yards. What would those stats be if they each ran 20 times? 180 yards? 200+ yards? I think Jantz feels he needs to do to much on the offense. By running the zone read you are feeding that ego(probably not the right way to word it but I think you know what I mean) problem and it would appear that if he doesn't know the read or can't decide if the DE is crashing on the RB or QB, Jantz defaults to keeping it.

If you have listened to the game on radio or at times the announcers for TV had mentioned that the RB has practically ripped the ball from Jantz. Without watching those plays right now but just hearing and seeing what is happening, that tells me our RB is making the correct read while Jantz was still thinking or trying to keep it.

In short, no more zone read.

Cyclone1985

Nov 18, 2008
Grimes
I think it was a great play call. It's an easy decision for Jantz to make. You ignore the two outside receivers, and focus on the 2 seam routes and White. If both safeties sit back and cover the seam routes, you throw it to White who is being covered by a linebacker. Easy first down if executed correctly since safeties will be pushed deep by the 4 deep routes.

If one of the safeties comes up to help on White, you look at one seam route to try to push the safety over, and throw it to the other seam route. This is exactly what Jantz did when he saw one safety creeping up. He couldn't scramble since the safety crept up and the safety and the LB would've owned Jantz and White if he tried to run for it.

I think Steele did nearly everything right mentally, and then made a great throw. The only quibble you could have with him is that he could've thrown it to West rather than Brun, but then West would be the guy getting lit up by the safety and I sure wouldn't want that. Brun just needed to hold onto the ball. Sometimes the defense just makes the play.
yeah, i know what the read is on the play. Jantz had not completed a pass for more than 10 yards all night and now we run 4 seam routes on a 3rd and 7..... not a smart play call.

Cyclone1985

Nov 18, 2008
Grimes
it would appear that if he doesn't know the read or can't decide if the DE is crashing on the RB or QB, Jantz defaults to keeping it.

If you have listened to the game on radio or at times the announcers for TV had mentioned that the RB has practically ripped the ball from Jantz. Without watching those plays right now but just hearing and seeing what is happening, that tells me our RB is making the correct read while Jantz was still thinking or trying to keep it.
This is his main problem. When in doubt, give... EVERY TIME!!
The fumble at Iowa was caused because he tried pulling the ball from the RB, who obviously thought he should have the ball.

MIClone

Aug 31, 2011
Central Michigan
This is his main problem. When in doubt, give... EVERY TIME!!
The fumble at Iowa was caused because he tried pulling the ball from the RB, who obviously thought he should have the ball.

This is right on. Our running backs can make things happen better than SJ. Steele should be handing it off to them most of the time, except when the read is obviously to keep. In all likelyhood, the ends will start to target the RBs and then when he does keep, it will lead to a better gain. It's not what JB should do (he should just make the right read), but for SJ, this should be the marching order.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
How many of you can actually look at the play and know what a "wrong" read actually is? If I get a chance tomorrow I'll rewatch the game and give an exact number of incorrect reads he made. It wasn't very many against Tech. The problem is when there are more people than we can block no matter what read we make we're in deep ****. Tech played us into what they wanted because they knew we couldn't beat them on short routes through press coverage. If I can send 7 and you can only block 6 and you need time for receivers to get off press coverage I'm going to win most of the time.

Reactions: cyatheart

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
yeah, i know what the read is on the play. Jantz had not completed a pass for more than 10 yards all night and now we run 4 seam routes on a 3rd and 7..... not a smart play call.

I think we tried plenty of times to complete short passes to convert downs, but they simply weren't open. This is what the defense was allowing. It would a big gain if Brun just holds on, and I think a couple of them would've opened things up a bit by keeping the 2nd safety back. Bringing the safety forward was negating the option of the short throw to White on the play.

goclones69

Aug 5, 2012
i am all in favor of benching jantz. He is 0-5 in big 12 games. That is pathetic!!

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Our whole offense was bad. Rohach has the best arm on the team, but out of Jantz, Barnett, and Richardson, Richardson from what I keep hearing is more accurate than the other two.

Oct 2, 2012
Iowa
How many of you can actually look at the play and know what a "wrong" read actually is? If I get a chance tomorrow I'll rewatch the game and give an exact number of incorrect reads he made. It wasn't very many against Tech. The problem is when there are more people than we can block no matter what read we make we're in deep ****. Tech played us into what they wanted because they knew we couldn't beat them on short routes through press coverage. If I can send 7 and you can only block 6 and you need time for receivers to get off press coverage I'm going to win most of the time.

If I counted correctly when I reviewed it, it looked like he made 2 bad reads. This was probably the best I've seen him run the zone read. It's just too bad TTU was expecting it and had a DT in SJ's face making either read the wrong read. Also, I noticed on two plays SJ would've had a lot of space to run if Brun would've made his block. Instead, he just stood there expecting the defender to come to him. Both times SJ got up off the ground pretty irate.

To those that bring up the interception on the free play: Young slipped and fell down as the ball was released. It appeared as though Young was running a seam route which would've put him about where the ball was. The interception caused by the Brun hit had a lot to do with Brun catching the ball and falling down like you're taught to do when you know you're catching the ball in a window. Watch the NFL sometime, you'll see receivers do this a lot to prevent the defender from making a big play. Instead, Brun catches the ball and tries to turn upfield. Worst yet, he turns towards the middle of the field rather than towards the sideline which exposes the ball to the widest part of the field.

I don't care who they start this Saturday, but they better bring an actual gameplan with them. I don't think I saw a single RB swing screen, WR middle screen or a regular RB release screen thrown the entire game against TTU. Against the blitz, this would've gashed their defense, especially if you call it to the blitzing side of the field (harder to predict, but can be adjusted to at the line).

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: cyatheart

CychoCyclone

Oct 27, 2011
Cedar Rapids
If I counted correctly when I reviewed it, it looked like he made 2 bad reads. This was probably the best I've seen him run the zone read. It's just too bad TTU was expecting it and had a DT in SJ's face making either read the wrong read. Also, I noticed on two plays SJ would've had a lot of space to run if Brun would've made his block. Instead, he just stood there expecting the defender to come to him. Both times SJ got up off the ground pretty irate.

To those that bring up the interception on the free play: Young slipped and fell down as the ball was released. It appeared as though Young was running a seam route which would've put him about where the ball was. The interception caused by the Brun hit had a lot to do with Brun catching the ball and falling down like you're taught to do when you know you're catching the ball in a window. Watch the NFL sometime, you'll see receivers do this a lot to prevent the defender from making a big play. Instead, Brun catches the ball and tries to turn upfield. Worst yet, he turns towards the middle of the field rather than towards the sideline which exposes the ball to the widest part of the field.

I don't care who they start this Saturday, but they better bring an actual gameplan with them. I don't think I saw a single RB swing screen, WR middle screen or a regular RB release screen thrown the entire game against TTU. Against the blitz, this would've gashed their defense, especially if you call it to the blitzing side of the field (harder to predict, but can be adjusted to at the line).

Just my 2 cents.

Very good analysis....

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I'm fine with continuing with Jantz if he truly is our best option. However, his plan on the field disproves that.

He throws more picks that touchdowns AND he fumbles. A lot. Some will argue that Barnett does the same thing....and maybe they are right. Except he has proven he can win Big 12 games. Jantz has not.