*** Official #8 Kansas vs #13 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
He’s the lowest offense rated player in the conference by far and bottom 10 defense. He’s just not good.
And how do you think Osun playing an additional 7-10 mins a game would affect his efficiency?

Rob isn’t playing 14-17 mins because TJ thinks he’s just as good as Osun. He’s playing those mins because TJ thinks that Osun at 23-26 minutes plays really efficiently. Seems like that’s a pretty good conclusion.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Glad we got a huge victory and luckily we didn't have some moror get on the court and go after Bill Self post game. That will forever be an embarrassment on our program.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Glad we got a huge victory and luckily we didn't have some moror get on the court and go after Bill Self post game. That will forever be an embarrassment on our program.
Yeah, we can send that fan to EIU.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Wasn't able to log in to post much today. Am surprised a GameDay thread for a KU game didn't hit 1k posts. Guess that's what happens when you control a game start to finish without a lot of controversy. 2 things you pretty much never get when these teams matchup

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclones8824

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Wasn't able to log in to post much today. An surprised a GameDay thread for a KU game didn't hit 1k posts. Guess that's what happens when you control a game start to finish without a lot of controversy. 2 things you pretty much never get when these teams matchup
Yep, fun, especially in the 2nd half. Lipsey had a great game but Holmes just took over...you love to see it

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
I don’t think it’s Rob’s minutes (we do need them) but more so the shot selection. His post moves of late have not been good.
Bingo! I don't mind him out there, but if he gets the ball he needs to pass more than shoot. I'd rather see one of our guards shoot a 3 at the percentages they're shooting than Rob try a layup at the percentage he is. Then there's the fact he gets fouled and goes to the line which might as well be a TO at the clip he hits those. His roll should not be a shooter.

• Agree
Reactions: NoCreativity

bizzle

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
NY, NY
I thought it was really positive yesterday that Tamin was willing to take a few shots from outside. It honestly did not matter that he missed them all. He will probably shoot 15% from three this year. That's okay. People are naturally reactive toward a bad shooter in a way they aren't toward a non-shooter.

That is why it is important for Rob to post up, too.

We are not elite enough offensively to have 1-2 players who are nonentities on offense. We simply aren't. Guys who shoot a lower percentage but are willing to shoot help more than guys who will not shoot. I understand that it is frustrating to see Rob miss. You are going to watch Tamin miss about twenty wide open threes for the rest of the season. These misses are in their own way crucial to maximizing our offensive abilities.

We are a team that is deeply dependent on all phases of play linking well together. We shot the ball about twenty more times than Kansas yesterday and when you do that, it's okay to give some misses to low percentage shooters to keep your offense as a whole running smoothly enough to win. To do that, you need to force turnovers. Etc etc etc.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
I thought it was really positive yesterday that Tamin was willing to take a few shots from outside. It honestly did not matter that he missed them all. He will probably shoot 15% from three this year. That's okay. People are naturally reactive toward a bad shooter in a way they aren't toward a non-shooter.

That is why it is important for Rob to post up, too.

We are not elite enough offensively to have 1-2 players who are nonentities on offense. We simply aren't. Guys who shoot a lower percentage but are willing to shoot help more than guys who will not shoot. I understand that it is frustrating to see Rob miss. You are going to watch Tamin miss about twenty wide open threes for the rest of the season. These misses are in their own way crucial to maximizing our offensive abilities.

We are a team that is deeply dependent on all phases of play linking well together. We shot the ball about twenty more times than Kansas yesterday and when you do that, it's okay to give some misses to low percentage shooters to keep your offense as a whole running smoothly enough to win. To do that, you need to force turnovers. Etc etc etc.
Bob Huggins is not going pressure up on Lipsey because he attempted a couple 3's and missed them. Not a good game plan for him to even attempt them right now if he's shooting 15% out there. Nor is it a good game plan to have Rob shoot. Lipsey needs to drive to the bucket if it's there and Rob needs to pass. I'd rather see Grill shoot a 25 foot shot than Rob trying something point blank being guarded. Looks ugly and numbers are proving it isn't very efficient. We're winning because of Gabe, Holmes, Grill, and Osun's offense. King and Kunc are better options as well

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Bob Huggins is not going pressure up on Lipsey because he attempted a couple 3's and missed them. Not a good game plan for him to even attempt them right now if he's shooting 15% out there. Nor is it a good game plan to have Rob shoot. Lipsey needs to drive to the bucket if it's there and Rob needs to pass. I'd rather see Grill shoot a 25 foot shot than Rob trying something point blank being guarded. Looks ugly and numbers are proving it isn't very efficient. We're winning because of Gabe, Holmes, Grill, and Osun's offense. King and Kunc are better options as well

It's defense too. The anchor of ISU is defense.

• Agree
Reactions: NENick

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
He really doesn’t rebound that effectively. Look I realize many here don’t want to discredit a guy on the team, but he’s an issue on offense. No way to defend that. Any time he gets the ball down low, it’s essentially a turnover
Have you noticed that the man he's guarding doesn't rebound effectively? That's a point of emphasis for TJ's bigs - make sure your man doesn't rebound. Helps explain why our guards have so many rebounds at the end of the game.

I'm amused by those who presume to know more about coaching than TJ and his amazing staff.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
The whole point is that if Tamin refuses to shoot from the perimeter, his man sags in and there are no paths to the rim. And if Rob doesn't shoot down in the post, there's no help defense which prevents open looks from the perimeter.

All 5 players have to be at least a threat to score or you end up with 5 gaurding 3 or 4.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron