*** Official #8 Kansas vs #13 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Have you noticed that the man he's guarding doesn't rebound effectively? That's a point of emphasis for TJ's bigs - make sure your man doesn't rebound. Helps explain why our guards have so many rebounds at the end of the game.

I'm amused by those who presume to know more about coaching than TJ and his amazing staff.

People don't like ISU doing well and need amazing shooting, steals and dunks to qualify it as official success.

Reactions: Cyclones8824

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
I had to leave and did not see the end of the game. Without drama at the end, was it such a convincing win that our students did not rush the court?

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I had to leave and did not see the end of the game. Without drama at the end, was it such a convincing win that our students did not rush the court?

It's the fourth top ten win of the season. Court rushing is for wins at the buzzer or unlikely underdogs. Hilton fans know what's up.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
It's the fourth top ten win of the season. Court rushing is for wins at the buzzer or unlikely underdogs. Hilton fans know what's up.
I take it then that the fans did not get on the court which is good. Self is aware that his team is not up to his standards, he was not as demonstrative as usual or whining at the refs like normal. It would be good if a few losses in Allen field house would follow. KU was weakly slapped on the wrist for their recruiting violations after a two year investigation and the KU fans I know were laughing about it. Hope they finish in the middle of the pack.

Reactions: Cyclones8824

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
And how do you think Osun playing an additional 7-10 mins a game would affect his efficiency?

Rob isn’t playing 14-17 mins because TJ thinks he’s just as good as Osun. He’s playing those mins because TJ thinks that Osun at 23-26 minutes plays really efficiently. Seems like that’s a pretty good conclusion.
But with Jaz back does TJ cut Jones's minutes back to 4-7 a game? Jaz was leading the team in rebounding before he was hurt, and while Osun has been coming on, I for one would like to see him on the floor more and Jones less. Even move Jaz out to play the 4 position and leave Osun on the floor at the five, to give the someone a break.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
He really doesn’t rebound that effectively. Look I realize many here don’t want to discredit a guy on the team, but he’s an issue on offense. No way to defend that. Any time he gets the ball down low, it’s essentially a turnover
There's no reason to discredit Rob because he does a solid job filling his role. I look at Rob as the hockey equivalent of an enforcer. He's not a fluid player. But as I've said before he's a bull in a china shop and that's a good thing for this team.

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
I thought it was really positive yesterday that Tamin was willing to take a few shots from outside. It honestly did not matter that he missed them all. He will probably shoot 15% from three this year. That's okay. People are naturally reactive toward a bad shooter in a way they aren't toward a non-shooter.

That is why it is important for Rob to post up, too.

We are not elite enough offensively to have 1-2 players who are nonentities on offense. We simply aren't. Guys who shoot a lower percentage but are willing to shoot help more than guys who will not shoot. I understand that it is frustrating to see Rob miss. You are going to watch Tamin miss about twenty wide open threes for the rest of the season. These misses are in their own way crucial to maximizing our offensive abilities.

We are a team that is deeply dependent on all phases of play linking well together. We shot the ball about twenty more times than Kansas yesterday and when you do that, it's okay to give some misses to low percentage shooters to keep your offense as a whole running smoothly enough to win. To do that, you need to force turnovers. Etc etc etc.

Wonder if Tamin could up his percentage some by taking some long twos. Hope it is he makes them all in practice and is just a mental game thing for him.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
The whole point is that if Tamin refuses to shoot from the perimeter, his man sags in and there are no paths to the rim. And if Rob doesn't shoot down in the post, there's no help defense which prevents open looks from the perimeter.

All 5 players have to be at least a threat to score or you end up with 5 gaurding 3 or 4.
So Tamin missing is going to cause his guys to start sagging off? No. He has to start hitting them. He's doing the other team a favor by taking that shot. When Rob's playing use him to defend the 5, set screens and play either King or Kunc with him. Use Holmes at the point during those times. Offense flowed just fine with King shooting yesterday. Nobody's gonna let Rob stand under the bucket undefended no matter how bad he shoots so floor spacing shouldn't be a problem. Tamin's outside shooting is completely different. Sucks that's a weakness in his game, but still an outstanding freshman so nobody put words in my my I'm dissing on anyone. Players all have strengths and weaknesses and we should be playing to them.

Last edited:

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I saw on the ESPN ticker that it was the fewest points in a Big12 game for KU under Self. Did I see that right?
This KU team might be the worst i can remember.
Missing the perennial NBA big inside. And a guy like Yesufu wouldnt have made their scout team in the past.
They are still top 25, but man coach, this aint your fathers jayhawks...

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
But with Jaz back does TJ cut Jones's minutes back to 4-7 a game? Jaz was leading the team in rebounding before he was hurt, and while Osun has been coming on, I for one would like to see him on the floor more and Jones less. Even move Jaz out to play the 4 position and leave Osun on the floor at the five, to give the someone a break.
Whether it’s King, Jaz or Watson, in Big 12 play it doesn’t look like TJ is going to go small. Osun, Rob or Ward are going to be on the floor. That could change, but so far it looks like Jaz’s return and King coming on isn’t going to impact minutes at the 5.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
BRE is a serviceable backup center as far as intangibles and doing little things on both ends to win games. He's also very cringeworthy everytime he touches the ball in the post. Both things can be true.

The frustrating part for me is he could probably average 3 or 4 assists per game if he would simply kick it back out to our perimeter guys instead of trying to take on a double team and throwing up a wild layup.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Have you noticed that the man he's guarding doesn't rebound effectively? That's a point of emphasis for TJ's bigs - make sure your man doesn't rebound. Helps explain why our guards have so many rebounds at the end of the game.

I'm amused by those who presume to know more about coaching than TJ and his amazing staff.
On the season it looks like ISU trails only Baylor and Okie State in rebounding rate.

This team doesn’t have dominant rebounders but rebounds very well as a team.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
The highlighted sums up your game analysis and player evaluation skills. You complain every thread with your in depth BB knowledge I hope your emailing the coaching staff with your brilliant analysis.

Somebody whining about an analysis without actually refuting the claims. It's not about whether I said it, you said it, or if Otz himself said it, the point was/is factual and true.

I love it when people suggest I email the coaching staff, or that I think I'm coaching material when I've never made such claims. The only thing I've reiterated is that BREs minutes, particularly in conference play, are unjustifiable. It doesn't necessarily take a coach to see the obvious.

The only explanation I can come up with is that the staff is blinded by the effort and practice work. If that's the case it wouldn't be the first (nor the last) time that's happened in cbb.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
On the season it looks like ISU trails only Baylor and Okie State in rebounding rate.

This team doesn’t have dominant rebounders but rebounds very well as a team.

We started out the season terribly, with the UConn game being a rebounding low point for the season. Since conference play we have been excellent as a team outside of spurts, the 2nd half against Tech being one such (pathetic) stretch.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Jones is my boy. The people ******** are operating in a vacuum. We don't have the talent pool to play polished players across the board. Jones clearly brings something to the team that TJ likes, his minutes show it. I'll take a guy with a motor and work ethic any day.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
BRE is a serviceable backup center as far as intangibles and doing little things on both ends to win games. He's also very cringeworthy everytime he touches the ball in the post. Both things can be true.

The frustrating part for me is he could probably average 3 or 4 assists per game if he would simply kick it back out to our perimeter guys instead of trying to take on a double team and throwing up a wild layup.
I defend Rob a lot but this is a legitimate criticism. He absolutely has to get better at feeling that double coming and kick it.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez

I think his plays might be more called for him, so he's taking a shot unless doubled(sometimes while doubled). Gotta keep teams honest, and there are games where Bob doesn't look bad. He's best when he is patient and does a head fake followed by a drop step or duck under. He can play well, but he is so tenacious on the court he sometimes doesn't take time to think.

Reactions: NoCreativity

singsing

Nov 2, 2007

Good call and I'm ecstatic that ISU is boxing out under TJ. Fred and Prohm's teams were terrible at it. Offensive rebounds have been nice to see also. TJ's teams kinda remind me of Tom Izzo's good MSU teams.