*** Official #8 Kansas vs #13 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Tell me why Rob should play this much when he's tied with Eli King and Conrad Hawley with 0.0 WS in conference this year without a ****** appeal to authority.

I have come around on TJ and love so much of what he's done, but that's a very questionable decision.

From a fan's perspective it appears that Osun gets tired and someone needs to come in at the 5, and other players like Tre King can't be everywhere.

I'd guess the coaching staff has their reasons and based off of not one but two seasons of blowing expectations out of the water including managing things like this past week to get such a win today, I'm leaning to trust them.

FWIW I wouldn't say you're someone who keeps at it with the hints of not wanting TJ at the helm; there are those that can't wait for any signs of trouble and it's weird.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
If you watch Odin, he plays hard, gets tired, and asks for a blow. They also work hard to manage his fouls.

This has been covered numerous times. Again the three points I will make is a) he wasn't tired at that particular juncture b) he was dominating c) mentally conditioning a player to expect being taken out isn't beneficial and hurts the ability to stretch his minutes over time. Basically Osun has been placated all season, often being put on a scripted break schedule. While fouls were an issue earlier they haven't been lately. So why take a player out who's been effective after 3 and a half ******* minutes of basketball?

At some point we need to show we can make decisions based on the flow of the game rather than some preconceived script.

• Dumb
Reactions: Ozclone

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Team is so deep. Five players who can carry load on given night and hard to guess which. Another 2-3 who can make surprise impact like king today.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
And no court-storm! That says something in itself.

I’d love for TJ to be the coach who puts Self out to pasture and they flip with a hire down the road.
This is a much better team when everyone is available. We've all known its a "greater than the sum of its parts" situation but having Grill and Jaz back, even if not both 100%, makes a huge difference. So much complimentary play that guys being out or injured gets magnified.

And Lipsey kicked ass today.

First game at full strength all year and even the with a player missing full season.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
We played well but man, if KU didn't make that one easy. Some curious choices by Self not to at least try to attack things that were problematic in the previous few games in addition to woeful shooting allowed us not to sweat this one.

Only complaints are the scripted substitutions, free throw shooting, and stupid 2nd half fouls. KU didn't really take advantage of the double bonus situation but our ability to have good offensive possessions (converse to the Tech debacle) allowed us to get back into our half court defense.
Going to call ******** here.

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
That was a really easy game. Kansas didnt put up much resistance. Wilson is probably POY but the rest of that group is nothing special. They really lack a big. Osun completely dominated. Even BRE had his moments.

Reactions: Cyclones8824

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
Great comeback game for Tamin and the Cyclones. Solid all around effort and I only said “No, no, no” about three times on Rob’s post up shots.

Reactions: twincyties

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
This has been covered numerous times. Again the three points I will make is a) he wasn't tired at that particular juncture b) he was dominating c) mentally conditioning a player to expect being taken out isn't beneficial and hurts the ability to stretch his minutes over time. Basically Osun has been placated all season, often being put on a scripted break schedule. While fouls were an issue earlier they haven't been lately. So why take a player out who's been effective after 3 and a half ******* minutes of basketball?

At some point we need to show we can make decisions based on the flow of the game rather than some preconceived script.
Can you post a real time tracker so TJ, the coaches and fans can better track how we are managing flow? I am very simple minded and I'll I could see was we were up by 5, then by 10, then by 15, then by 18. It was rather advance analysis but I think it was a good thing - maybe even a good flow thing? when the closed to 5 and we immediately pushed back out to 10. But obviously I am missing something.

I am really excited to learn how this works though because if we can get your keen understanding of this flow thing transferred to the team, we should be winning games like this by 30 I am guessing.?

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Happy to see Tamin get settled back in. Had that really bad cross-court TO early but proceeded to go 10 assists to only 1 TO after that.

Jaz was expectedly a little rusty shooting but good to see him back out there doing what he does. Just felt like TJ could keep fresher line ups out there being deeper by +1 man.

Another really efficient game from Shoon. He’s been getting what he wants in the post lately. Would like to see us play through him more often.

Big first half from King and then Holmes just incredible in the second. Continue to be impressed with how unselfish the team is.

Not great games from Gabe or Grill. Most impressed with this margin of victory without big nights from at least one of those two.

Reactions: fnclone and nrg4isu