*** Official #6 IOWA STATE vs #2 Houston Game(Day) Thread ***

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
It's more annoying when people act as if NO GAME EVER has bad one sided officiating. Our other five losses were way more about the way ISU played and I don't think there was any real officiating disadvantage. Both teams played a tough similar style tonight and they were very clearly not officiated in a similar way at all.

If we can't discuss clear reality, there's no sense having a sports discussion board.

Every year we have 5-8 games with atrocious officiating, once in a while it's the key factor in deciding a game but usually not. None of us can typically see when we're on the other side of it, had we gotten the Baylor win it would have been a rare time most of us knew we got gifted one (but we didn't win it). I really don't think the Baylor thread was full of 90% ISU fans complaining about officials the way some contrarians are claiming, more likely we all knew we got massive breaks and still couldn't win it.
I thought tonight was one of the wurst officiated gajes I've seen. I'm not a person to comment in refs either. Game like that you just can't make up calls and call two halves totally different. Black mark for the j league in reality.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
You have a historical analytical beast in Houston and we didn't blink.

Yes we lost by 8 but it was a nip and tuck game the whole way.

Yes we could have executed better and make less mistakes but In the spotlight and pressure we didn't wilt and mail it in.

Look at other equivalent teams like Marquette in the same spot and how they performed.

I'm highly encouraged for the future prospects of this team.

Ranked teams have been losing @unranked left and right the past three weeks while we were taking care of business against a conference where the whole thing is practically top 35.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Not a big deal. Pretty tame chant lol. Houston has a great team. I really like Shead. I will definitely be pulling for them in the tourney unless they run into the Cyclones.

I don't say this lightly about Big 12 teams, but I can see pulling for Houston.

Trying to figure out how to pull for Baylor to get a win without pulling for Baylor, though.

Reactions: CloniesForLife

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Yeah, I thought it was pretty slanted toward them in the first half, and mostly balanced out in the second. Kind of had to laugh when Rob got called for a foul for reaching over to tap out a rebound though. Probably the least contact on a possession all game.
But that's the problem, you can't call it one way for 20 minutes then totally reverse it the second half. You have to choose.

danvillecyclone

Dec 8, 2011
Idk where you are getting your data. But the aggregate of major sports books is settling back towards Houston at 8.5

The aggregate majority of bets have been on ISU all day, and there is a slight sharp lean to UH at a 4% differential that is starting to form a consensus line at 8.5
View attachment 124251
View attachment 124250
From the 6 betting apps I follow with an algorithm my CTO created.

Like I said, went from 10 down to 8.

Yea it did settle back at 8.5 but the information was already in the books.

Cover.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
In fairness officiating a Houston -ISU game is a pretty tough task. I think you’re going to see this kind of strangeness. Letting a bunch of stuff go because you don’t want to call a foul every 30 seconds, then deciding you’ve got to get it under control and call some anticipation fouls.

When you get it under control...you have to call some both ways if it was both teams being physical. End of the first half was just absolutely terrible officiating and ISU was actually outplaying Houston significantly to overcome it and get the lead down to 5. It should have been a 3 point game at half with even a D+ officiating job.

It's not bad officiating to make that adjustment, it's really bad officiating to adjust it on just one team the way they did tonight. Not the worst like I've seen in some KU games and probably not main factor in game, but definitely the worst for us this season in terms of not getting a fair shake. A few of the moving screens they rewarded Houston for were borderline flagrant fouls.

• Agree
Reactions: Acer88

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I'm not sure how shed fits on an nba team. He should stay as long as possible. Skill wise he's not close yet to the nba. Great college player, but nowhere near an nba guard.
It’s a weak draft coming up though.

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
Disagree - Shead was the better team tonight.

I'm looking forward to a rematch in KC. That would be truly great.
I don’t have a problem with that take. It looks like close to a push on a neutral court. I was surprised how well they handled our pressure this game. I can’t believe any other team has had single digit turnovers against us.

We were tough though. Tre King has a great game…thought C Jones did too. Momcilovic and Lipsey both had off nights.

Excited for the rest of the season though. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to think we could win the rest of our regular season games. Pretty awesome.

Reactions: CYDJ

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
It’s a weak draft coming up though.

I'd gladly take him 2nd round. He is a clutch shooter, plays tough D, hits fts, total killer instincts.

He's not long but he's physical enough to defend taller shooting guards and keep them from driving.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I know coaches dont think this way, but West Virginia is bad and we should handle them easily on Saturday. It might be wise to sit Lipsey that game to get some rest.
Is he hurt or injured, if injured than he needs to sit out the game, if just hurt, then take it easy in practice, hit the training room and let's hope that ISU can get up early on WV and we can give Lipsey fewer minutes and let him rest up.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Kelvin Sampson is a cheater, has always been a cheater and should not be in the hall of fame. That is just really low standards.
Not that we would forget his transgressions, or anything.