*** Official #6 IOWA STATE vs #2 Houston Game(Day) Thread ***

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
I'm gonna call this a win in my head. We played pretty well outside of the "slow start"*. Yes we could have hit a couple more free throws but that wasn't the game.

* Anyone who thinks that game was adequately officiated needs their head examined. The first half was probably the worst-officiated game I've seen all year and heavily slanted in favor of Houston.

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
I know we get a favorable whistle at home too but it's no wonder Houston is undefeated at home if that's how they are allowed to play. Never seen a team with such a long leash on pushing, shoving, bodying, and hand-checking.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I know we get a favorable whistle at home too but it's no wonder Houston is undefeated at home if that's how they are allowed to play. Never seen a team with such a long leash on pushing, shoving, bodying, and hand-checking.
Fran said something to the effect that the new Houston football coach should be taking notes (possibly referring to the amount of moving screens). Rebounds were an absolute melee. So impressed with what we did there, but getting it was only half the battle. Had to keep it through all the shoves and hacks.

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
In any case, losing always sucks, but this is kind of a nothingburger. A win would have been huge of course but:
  • Metrics are up.
  • We may drop in the AP Poll because we don't get the Blueblood Discount on losing road games to good teams, but that poll is dumb anyway.
  • At least a tie for the Big 12 championship is still in play if we win out. Houston has a much tougher schedule than us in the last five games here.
  • Even if we stumble at the finish line here and go 2-3, that's still 11-7 in the Big 12 which is pretty good for a team picked to finish 7th or whatever it was.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

It was basically a mirror image of playing us at home. Build an early lead based on being exceedingly physical figuring the refs aren’t going to run up a foul total early. The game, and officiating, even out during the course of the game, but not enough to overcome the early lead.

Looked a lot like several home games of ours.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Too many careless turnovers, atrocious officiating, terrible free throw shooting is not a winning formula.

Oh well, 4 days rest now, hopefully Baylor helps us out, we take care of business then it's a 4 game sprint to the finish.

jcf817

Mar 2, 2023
North Carolina
The "correct things" would be making free throws and layups, and not turning the ball over twice as much. Winning on the road is hard and hope we get a rematch in Kansas City.
That's right. That's on the PLAYERS to concern themselves over, which was my entire point, which you apparently missed.

jcf817

Mar 2, 2023
North Carolina
Yeah, I thought it was pretty slanted toward them in the first half, and mostly balanced out in the second. Kind of had to laugh when Rob got called for a foul for reaching over to tap out a rebound though. Probably the least contact on a possession all game.
I would say the second half was even, but it didn't even out the first half, which was atrocious.

jcf817

Mar 2, 2023
North Carolina
In fairness officiating a Houston -ISU game is a pretty tough task. I think you’re going to see this kind of strangeness. Letting a bunch of stuff go because you don’t want to call a foul every 30 seconds, then deciding you’ve got to get it under control and call some anticipation fouls.
In short, **** officiating.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles

Non ISU fans say the same thing about ISU, they hand check, they push, they shove.

Read any board of a team that plays ISU, ISU fouls on every possesion.

Fans seem to never see the fouls that are missed, by their team, but have laser vision when they see a missed call against their team. It's uncanny..

Last edited:

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Stat I’ll be watching tonight: points off turnovers. I like ISU chances if they have 20+ points off turnovers
Points off turnovers: ISU 9, Houston 20

Needed to flip that script, but with that said, I love the team's physicality. ISU outrebounded one of the best rebounding teams 39-30. I didn't see anything from this game that would concern me for the rest of the season. Tip your hat to Houston and move on to the next game

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
I thought the fatigue showed. It is a lot to ask a team to play a huge game on Saturday and then go on the road and play a team of Houston caliber on short turn around. Have a little more rest, then maybe we don’t get quite as many fouls and can cause a few more turnovers. The guys gave it their all.