Niang transformation

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I don't know if he'll get drafted this year but it seems he's doing what he needs to. A 6' 7" player with Niang's rare offensive skill set gets a look if he's in great condition.
This may sound crazy but he now reminds some of Doug Mcd - same height, same weight, shoots the three pretty good, old man game, maneuvers around people underneath, does not rebound a ton, capable of making assists. It is just that Doug had to provide more offense for his team.

GeorgesFan

Jul 18, 2011
EDIT: I should clarify that while some of what acgclone is saying is accurate (in my opinion), I don't think George would have a hard time, AT ALL, in the paint against the NBA. Also, just noticed George's mom (I believe) posting in the thread and want to shout out that your son is such a wonderful ambassador for the program. He is so kind and generous around town. He is already a Cyclone legend, but regardless what happens the rest of his playing career, he is also a wonderful person.

We are very, VERY lucky to have him at ISU.[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU! We (Georges included) feel like he is lucky to be THERE too!

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
You can't say that until you see how he looks slimmed down and strengthened up against quality competition. You're underestimating how rare some of his skills are for a 6'7" COLLEGE player. Had he arrived in this condition and produced similarly there would have been talk.

FIFY.

There are 6'10-7' guys in the NBA with Niang's skill set. That's the problem. He's a great college player.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Ohh.....I like the twocoach/Georgesfan battle. :) I find it so amusing that twocoach has to offer so many damn opinions on an Iowa State player's offseason work. I love sports and I hate Kansas with the fire of a thousand suns and yet I still don't have any desire to go post on a Kansas board 30 times per day. And I also highly doubt that twocoach is some sort of workout god who has anything to offer in the way of valuable opinions on what Georges has done.

As far as the actual topic, that's quite the transformation. Kudos to him for all of the hard work.....really impressive. I got a kick out of the interviews Georges has given saying that the injury really made him realize that basketball could easily be taken away from him and made him work harder. I've always gotten the impression that he has always worked hard and the fact that he is even working harder is impressive. Even though we've (hopefully) still got 2 years left with him, we should really pay attention because at some point we are going to turn around and wonder where the years went. I think he could be a 2000 point scorer at Iowa State and maybe even be a top 2 career scorer at Iowa State. And I don't think we've ever had a player make 4 straight NCAA appearances. I think he could do that here.

As far as the NBA goes, who the hell knows. The NBA is a crap shoot of things I don't really understand. Most of us don't really understand it. I do suspect though that Georges might benefit from 'getting out while the getting is good' and it wouldn't completely shock me if he had a good year and then went to the NBA after next year. He'll always be a guy that the NBA will have doubts about (not that I agree with it) and he might not be the type to benefit from sticking around for a 4th year. Or he might. What we do know is that he'll have rock solid advice and he has a great head on his shoulders, so he'll make the right decision. Last year, the idea of Hoiberg leaving for the NBA was always at the back of my mind. I think this year's worry will be Georges :)

And I'll also say this, it is so much fun to think about basketball now.....I don't forget how fortunate we are to have this sort of excitement about the team. If the end of the Eustachy era and most of the Morgan era and the McDermott era taught us anything, it is you should enjoy the hell out of the good times.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
FIFY.

There are 6'10-7' guys in the NBA with Niang's skill set. That's the problem. He's a great college player.

I certainly hope that Georges sticks around as long as possible because he has been a burr in Bill Self's side quite often. I suspect that will only increase over the next couple of years.

What Kansas board do you post on?

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
Agreed. This clown "weighs in" on every single thread here and eventually hijacks them and turns them into Twocoach threads.

I posted a facetious post about renaming this board Twocoachfanatic.com and a mod locked it.

So I can get censored but his posts hijacking threads into the KU realm filled with digs at our players, teams and fans are not

Feel free to point out where it is that I dug at your player, your team or your fans? I mentioned my own personal experiences with various workout programs merely because it has led to me not being surprised that that type of fantastic body change can be done in such a short amount of time. I am simply saying that I was impressed with the work that Niang has done and would love to have access to the types of trainers and facilities these guys have. To take anything else from that is being a bit oversensitive.

Meanwhile a number of people go completely off topic on rants about me. News flash, it's those posts that take the thread off topic, not me. I commented only on the topic at hand.

ILikeCy

Dec 16, 2008
Omaha
This may sound crazy but he now reminds some of Doug Mcd - same height, same weight, shoots the three pretty good, old man game, maneuvers around people underneath, does not rebound a ton, capable of making assists. It is just that Doug had to provide more offense for his team.

Doug posted a 36.5" vertical at the NBA combine. If Georges can get even close to that vertical, then the naysayers would probably be more quiet. I'm sure his vertical has improved, but he probably has a long way to go to reach 36.5".

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Feel free to point out where it is that I dug at your player, your team or your fans? I mentioned my own personal experiences with various workout programs merely because it has led to me not being surprised that that type of fantastic body change can be done in such a short amount of time. I am simply saying that I was impressed with the work that Niang has done and would love to have access to the types of trainers and facilities these guys have. To take anything else from that is being a bit oversensitive.

Meanwhile a number of people go completely off topic on rants about me. News flash, it's those posts that take the thread off topic, not me. I commented only on the topic at hand.

Your 'surprise' is insinuating that he did somethign wrong. Second, I highly doubt that you are some sort of workout king---you spend far too much time on a rivals message board to be much of anything impressive. Third, you got attacked because you irritated a valued member of this board.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
FIFY.

I was responding to someone who said there was no place for him in the nba, that's ridiculous to say at this time. I wasn't saying it's likely or a lock so calm your troll +i+s.

I'm a much bigger nba fan than collage ball. I'm an nba fan and cyclone fan. If you think there are lots of players 6'9" and above who can handle, post, shoot and especially pass like Niang you're not an nba fan. They're called all stars. I wish my team had a 7 footer who could do all that the past few years.

troll on trollcoach who isn't a troll because we have some pseudo-intellectual contrarians here.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
OMG, It's not about you!

I am sure it is not just me, but almost everything you post tends to irritate me.

My apologies if this came off as some type of knock on Georges. Far from it. I just happen to have seen a zillion before/after shots of people thanks to the workout programs I have been doing the last few years so I wasn't at all surprised that such an impressive change could be done in such a short amount of time. That's all.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Doug posted a 36.5" vertical at the NBA combine. If Georges can get even close to that vertical, then the naysayers would probably be more quiet. I'm sure his vertical has improved, but he probably has a long way to go to reach 36.5".
There's also a wide space between #13 draft pick and zero chance to play in the nba.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

Also the main reason McDermott got drafted is because he's an elite shooter, Niang isn't close to his level as a shooter. They both have great footwork and post moves though, and Niang is a much better passer than McDermott.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
Your 'surprise' is insinuating that he did somethign wrong. Second, I highly doubt that you are some sort of workout king---you spend far too much time on a rivals message board to be much of anything impressive. Third, you got attacked because you irritated a valued member of this board.

1) That who did something wrong?

2) I post during business hours only, during breaks in my work. I rarely if ever post on here when I am away from work. And I don't work out while I am working, so the number of times I post here has no impact on my workout schedule. I only find time to work out once the wife and kids are all in bed. I can probably count on one hand the total number of times I have ever posted on this site between the hours of 9-11pm.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
If Georges can knock down jumpshots, he'll have a spot on offense in the NBA.

Who he defends will be the biggest issue, and I'd imagine he would have to be really good this year on that side of the ball to think about leaving, but it's certainly possible.

Nobody thought Royce was going to leave either. He couldn't shoot, was a tweener, only had one year experience, ect ect and he came out and went in the mid first. That's all that really matters.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
1) That who did something wrong?

2) I post during business hours only, during breaks in my work. I rarely if ever post on here when I am away from work. And I don't work out while I am working, so the number of times I post here has no impact on my workout schedule. I only find time to work out once the wife and kids are all in bed. I can probably count on one hand the total number of times I have ever posted on this site between the hours of 9-11pm.

You must take a lot of breaks...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron