Niang transformation

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
I still put him in a "tweener" category. He won't be able to defend NBA 3's and he'll have a very hard time in the paint against the length the NBA has. He'll have himself in the mix for an NBA career, and I think he can play himself into a late first rounder. If he gets to that status, it probably would be in his best interest to make the jump after next year. You never want to miss an opportunity to jump once you've maximized your draft status, IMO.
And I don't think Niang's draft status will be maximized after just this next year. He is obviously still working on improving his body and his game. He should use every ounce of eligibility he has in continuing to do so to maximize his draft status.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Great job by Georges, the only questions are why did it take this long to get in shape? Will he still be in this shape this winter?

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
Hard to believe how quickly he did this given the broken foot.
What's the one thing you can do with a broken foot? Ride a bike until you burn off a zillion calories. And you can lay on a bench and crank out bench press reps just fine as well. The foot just limited his basketball activities. You can get plenty of working out done with a bad foot.

GeorgesFan

Jul 18, 2011
So when was the 'before' picture taken? Curious if it was last year or freshman year.

Niang would have to have a pretty dominant season to go NBA after this year. Not only dominant, but showcase skills/attributes that he would need to have to play in the league at 6'7".

If he'll be a 1st rd pick then I'll be fine with it. Just don't be one of those 'leave early for 2nd rd or undrafted' guys.

I asked him that question: APRIL 2014

cytown

Aug 8, 2012
Naperville, IL
Great job by Georges, the only questions are why did it take this long to get in shape? Will he still be in this shape this winter?

Yes, he will be. He definitely won't put on any weight during the season. I bet he hits the weight room like a mofo between now and then.

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009
Mine was a statement, not a question. I never questioned your stance on Georges at all, so who wants to argue?

It is clear that I wanted to argue about Niang leaving early. It's a silly idea. I love that he is taking his body seriously and he is a great college player.

What was the point of quoting me after I had addressed my point 30 minutes earlier after 2 other posters quoted me?

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Hogue and Nader are not 5's. Edozie started against Uconn because Hogue isn't a 5 defender.

McKay and Niang will get most of the minutes, but either Edozie or the Greek (whoever is better) will have to get some time occasionally.

We don't have a true 5 on our roster, admittedly I don't know much about the greek though.Edozie's minutes will be more about matching up with the other team, I can see him playing double digit minutes against bigger teams and not sniffing the floor against smaller quicker teams. The lineup combo's we'll see this year are going to be fun to watch.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
What's the one thing you can do with a broken foot? Ride a bike until you burn off a zillion calories. And you can lay on a bench and crank out bench press reps just fine as well. The foot just limited his basketball activities. You can get plenty of working out done with a bad foot.

good point, I also think when a kid who puts as much time into basketball then has it taken away, its easy for him to focus on something else. Especially with the motivation of missing the NCAA's last year. I think ppl equate GN being out of shape to being lazy, as skilled as he is, he obviously spends time improving his game, he just focused on other things than his body.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006

You are what you eat. He started eating well. That alone makes a world of difference.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
It is clear that I wanted to argue about Niang leaving early. It's a silly idea. I love that he is taking his body seriously and he is a great college player.

What was the point of quoting me after I had addressed my point 30 minutes earlier after 2 other posters quoted me?

I quoted you after I read your post and hadn't read further along.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
In an interview somewhere a month or two ago (can't remember who had it), Hoiberg indicated that they asked Niang to put weight on last year when they determined he was going to have to guard the other teams "5".

This makes sense. I know Georges losing the weight is best for his future in hoops (NBA or otherwise), I just hope that Edozie and Tsalmonpuss can hold down the fort (guarding posts) until McKay is ready to go.

Also, I usually don't spend much time looking at pictures of dudes with their shirts off, but today I'm making an exception.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron