Niang transformation

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
I asked him that question: APRIL 2014
That seems reasonable. From beginning of April until now is almost 4 months which is ample time for such a transformation considering the resources available in the athletic department. Heck, I did P90X in my basement several years ago, dropped 30 pounds in 90 days and added a good amount of bulk and definition and that was on my own with a few sets of dumbbells and a chin up bar. If you dedicate yourself to eating the right foods and have a fleet of trainers, nutritionists and physical therapists at your disposal this should be the expected results given his starting point.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Georges lost quite a bit of weight after his freshmen season as well. You could tell in the cap city last year. The difference this year is Hoiberg wants him to keep it off. They asked Niang to put weight back on after last summer because he was our biggest post.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I already answered what I was getting at. Niang doesn't have a position in the NBA.

You can't say that until you see how he looks slimmed down and strengthened up against quality competition. You're underestimating how rare some of his skills are for a 6'7" player. Had he arrived in this condition and produced similarly there would have been talk.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
You can't say that until you see how he looks slimmed down and strengthened up against quality competition. You're underestimating how rare some of his skills are for a 6'7" player. Had he arrived in this condition and produced similarly there would have been talk.

Where do you think he would fit in the NBA, a small ball four on some team's second unit? I don't think he has any chance at being a wing player in the NBA.

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009

He definitely has a nice set of skills. I just don't see him being quick enough to guard the 3 and isn't big enough to guard the 4 in the NBA.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
He definitely has a nice set of skills. I just don't see him being quick enough to guard the 3 and isn't big enough to guard the 4 in the NBA.

There are lots of 3s and 4s who can't guard 3s and 4s well, they're all floor stretchers or offensive creators. I haven't talked about Georges and the NBA until now because it didn't make sense with his conditioning. It's silly to already say there's no place for him in the league without even seeing him play with a transformed body. Nobody's saying he'll be a lottery pick, first rounder or star, just refuting narrow mindedness of people who have watched less NBA than me.

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009
There are lots of 3s and 4s who can't guard 3s and 4s well, they're all floor stretchers or offensive creators. I haven't talked about Georges and the NBA until now because it didn't make sense with his conditioning. It's silly to already say there's no place for him in the league without even seeing him play with a transformed body. Nobody's saying he'll be a lottery pick, first rounder or star, just refuting narrow mindedness of people who have watched less NBA than me.

Would the floor stretcher you described leave school early? Would that be considered a role player? Somebody said that this would be Georges last year and a couple others said he would be getting paid to play in 2015. That's what I was responding to.

Georges could play in the NBA, I'll never say never, but he currently doesn't have a position in the NBA. Georges has more offensive skills than Ejim, but not as good defensively. After seeing Melvin have the year he had, go undrafted, and then head overseas, I would hope people would understand how hard it is for undersized players to make it in the NBA.

GeorgesFan

Jul 18, 2011
That seems reasonable. From beginning of April until now is almost 4 months which is ample time for such a transformation considering the resources available in the athletic department. Heck, I did P90X in my basement several years ago, dropped 30 pounds in 90 days and added a good amount of bulk and definition and that was on my own with a few sets of dumbbells and a chin up bar. If you dedicate yourself to eating the right foods and have a fleet of trainers, nutritionists and physical therapists at your disposal this should be the expected results given his starting point.

OMG, It's not about you!

I am sure it is not just me, but almost everything you post tends to irritate me.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
I still put him in a "tweener" category. He won't be able to defend NBA 3's and he'll have a very hard time in the paint against the length the NBA has.

He'll have himself in the mix for an NBA career, and I think he can play himself into a late first rounder. If he gets to that status, it probably would be in his best interest to make the jump after next year.

You never want to miss an opportunity to jump once you've maximized your draft status, IMO.

This is pretty accurate, in my opinion. George has unbelievable skills. His little hook shot is nearly unstoppable. Even though he's only 6'7", he can get that off against anyone. Even the best and biggest NBA defenders would not be able to stop it.

The thing I worry about is that the management in the NBA is so focused on the "measurables" regarding players and seem to think they need to fit into nice little boxes. In this case, George, like Ejim, is "too small" in some NBA GMs mind to play PF. He isn't 6'9" or 6'10". Now, we all know how nearly unstoppable he is on offense (he scored on all the Bigs he played against this year), but I think they'd worry that he doesn't fit their preconceived notion of a PF. It's ridiculous because if given the chance, I think he could be very productive in the NBA, but I don't know if he'll ever be given that chance. Because of that, I think he's got two more years at ISU.

It is funny how those photos are like a "before and after" infomercial though. Haha.

EDIT: I should clarify that while some of what acgclone is saying is accurate (in my opinion), I don't think George would have a hard time, AT ALL, in the paint against the NBA. Also, just noticed George's mom (I believe) posting in the thread and want to shout out that your son is such a wonderful ambassador for the program. He is so kind and generous around town. He is already a Cyclone legend, but regardless what happens the rest of his playing career, he is also a wonderful person.

We are very, VERY lucky to have him at ISU.

Last edited:

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Would the floor stretcher you described leave school early? Would that be considered a role player? Somebody said that this would be Georges last year and a couple others said he would be getting paid to play in 2015. That's what I was responding to.

Georges could play in the NBA, I'll never say never, but he currently doesn't have a position in the NBA. Georges has more offensive skills than Ejim, but not as good defensively. After seeing Melvin have the year he had, go undrafted, and then head overseas, I would hope people would understand how hard it is for undersized players to make it in the NBA.

Someone else said he was leaving early, I'm arguing against the idea that there's no place in the nba for him (which is ridiculous, 'no' place meaning zero chance) maybe especially because he has two years to develop still with the new frame. Two years ago at the same age people may have said Doug McDermott didn't have a place in the nba too. My nba team is probably the most consistent defensive team and we've had several heavy minute 3s and 4s who don't guard the 3 and 4 well, one starter who defended it horribly. Let's see how Georges plays d this year with more quickness and hops, that's what I'm excited about, we know he can score on anyone in the NCAA.

Last edited:

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009
OMG, It's not about you!

I am sure it is not just me, but almost everything you post tends to irritate me.

Unfortunately, the mods don't see it this way. His posts are "knowledgeable and offer a different point of view".

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Unfortunately, the mods don't see it this way. His posts are "knowledgeable and offer a different point of view".

He's never ****** off GeorgesFan before. GeorgesFan > mods.

Also GeorgesFan looks like you made a slight adjustment to your cookie recipe. Well done. :)

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009

Also GeorgesFan looks like you made a slight adjustment to your cookie recipe. Well done. :)

Hopefully she can get something done. As much as people complain about him, myself included, I'm surprised they haven't done something. Perhaps tuco has some dirt on the mods.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Actually he's talked trash to her before, guy would have been banned 500 times if he was an Iowa fan, he's 10 fold more obnoxious than any of our hawkeye regulars (many of whom I do appreciate).

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007

Agreed. This clown "weighs in" on every single thread here and eventually hijacks them and turns them into Twocoach threads.

I posted a facetious post about renaming this board Twocoachfanatic.com and a mod locked it.

So I can get censored but his posts hijacking threads into the KU realm filled with digs at our players, teams and fans are not