Negativity is embarrassing

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
If you truly believe this, you should start going to post on the T-ball Baseball boards or maybe little league but that might get a little competitive for you. THIS IS D1 BASKETBALL!!!!

Why Coach Hawkins, aren't you a little busy to be responding to people on a message board?

Go play intermurals brother!

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
Remember..."CN"? That was around and yes..........it was a trainwreck. And yes we went on the streak...and yes SOME went crazy. BUT.......many still could not give the coach credit. In fact....there were quite of few who said the players did it IN SPITE of their coach! Anyone remember that? Do you think that they thought their negativity was embarrasing? Do you think they thought of themselves as less of a fan for being negative? Do you think they considered themselves rats jumping ship or "fair-weather" fans for being critical? Heck no...they thought of themselves as being ISU patriots for being critical of the zone defense, the seeming lack of stucture and discipline with the free wheeling type of ball, and being able to look in their crystal ball and see that WM was not going to take us in the direction we need to be. As a matter of fact.....the "it doesn't take as long to build a winning BB program as it does football" was their battle call.....when we were winning!!!!

And your last paragraph sums up perfectly what many of us asked......almost BEGGED other fans four years ago. You cannot judge a book by reading only the first 3 chapters. Give the guy his contract! Just sit and wait and cheer like hell! And what good did that do? And here we are. What's even more frustating......all things being equal....it's a heck of a lot more fun to sit and wait and cheer like hell for a run and gun outfit than what we are doing now. And the most ironic thing......GMAC has assembled a group that would fit right in with that type of offense and probably be 8-1, maybe 9-0.

I am not....and I believe most here who are being critical are not calling for his head at this moment. BUT.......we do know where to draw the line, question is...do the people here who say "relax" know where to draw theirs?

I hate resurrecting this thread...but this poster, has posted a thoughtful response that makes sense and I understand what he is saying. This may be considered a negative post, but I think it's more of a constructive post. It's not some wannabe witty person making a "mcdud" comment or constantly jabbing at the program every chance he/she gets in every thread to try and be funny. It's someone stating that they are upset at what they see and why they see it.

I think the whole purpose of this thread was to try and get people to step back and just stop spouting hate for the program/coach/ad. It's not constructive IMO and not fun to read. It reminds me of all the fat Mangino jokes. Does anyone still find those funny?

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
I hate resurrecting this thread...but this poster, has posted a thoughtful response that makes sense and I understand what he is saying. This may be considered a negative post, but I think it's more of a constructive post. It's not some wannabe witty person making a "mcdud" comment or constantly jabbing at the program every chance he/she gets in every thread to try and be funny. It's someone stating that they are upset at what they see and why they see it.

I think the whole purpose of this thread was to try and get people to step back and just stop spouting hate for the program/coach/ad. It's not constructive IMO and not fun to read. It reminds me of all the fat Mangino jokes. Does anyone still find those funny?

How can you say people voicing their opinions is not constructive, no matter what way they go about it - be it positive, negative or in a joking matter? If people were to sit back, not say a word and continue to act like everything is fine - do you think changes will ever happen? Change comes from action, not from sitting around and being sunshine and rainbows day in and day out.
What you see as spouting hate, some people see as honesty. Honesty doesn't always make you sound like the world's biggest supporter. Following blindly never got anyone anywhere.

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
How can you say people voicing their opinions is not constructive, no matter what way they go about it - be it positive, negative or in a joking matter? If people were to sit back, not say a word and continue to act like everything is fine - do you think changes will ever happen? Change comes from action, not from sitting around and being sunshine and rainbows day in and day out.
What you see as spouting hate, some people see as honesty. Honesty doesn't always make you sound like the world's biggest supporter. Following blindly never got anyone anywhere.

Do you even read other peoples posts or do you like just hearing your own voice? I do have to hand it to you that I do like this post of yours. It's you voicing your opinion which I like reading, instead of someone trying to be funny and falling flat on their face 99% of the time. But the whole point of this thread and most people arguing in it is how people go about it, whether it be negative positive or a joking matter. I'm not saying people shouldn't be upset, critical or negative it's how they respond to it. 20 threads about "Fire Now" and "McDud" and "Pollard you suck" is pointless and not fun to read. FWIW, I hate sunshine and rainbows as well. I'm just looking for some constructive debate not just hate and rainbows.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
Do you even read other peoples posts or do you like just hearing your own voice? I do have to hand it to you that I do like this post of yours. It's you voicing your opinion which I like reading, instead of someone trying to be funny and falling flat on their face 99% of the time. But the whole point of this thread and most people arguing in it is how people go about it, whether it be negative positive or a joking matter. I'm not saying people shouldn't be upset, critical or negative it's how they respond to it. 20 threads about "Fire Now" and "McDud" and "Pollard you suck" is pointless and not fun to read. FWIW, I hate sunshine and rainbows as well. I'm just looking for some constructive debate not just hate and rainbows.
why start off with hate if you don't like it?

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
20 threads about "Fire Now" and "McDud" and "Pollard you suck" is pointless and not fun to read. FWIW, I hate sunshine and rainbows as well. I'm just looking for some constructive debate not just hate and rainbows.

Exaggeration. People are allowing the few that are making molehills to turn them into mountains by fighting with 'em...and creating threads like this one.

What do the "negativity is embarrassing", "post your rants here only" and other threads like these solve? Certainly not stopping those that are on the warpath for Greg.

Most are level headed. And there are some on both extremes (blame Greg for everything, defend Greg and state he is blameless).

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
20 threads about "Fire Now" and "McDud" and "Pollard you suck" is pointless and not fun to read. FWIW, I hate sunshine and rainbows as well. I'm just looking for some constructive debate not just hate and rainbows.

Spot on.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

Come on... "McDud" is COMIC GOLD!

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Exaggeration. People are allowing the few that are making molehills to turn them into mountains by fighting with 'em...and creating threads like this one.

What do the "negativity is embarrassing", "post your rants here only" and other threads like these solve? Certainly not stopping those that are on the warpath for Greg.

Most are level headed. And there are some on both extremes (blame Greg for everything, defend Greg and state he is blameless).

I wasn't trying to solve anything. Just pointing out how childish people are being about it. Not my fault people are getting so defensive. Nothing wrong with expressing frustration, just do it with some maturity and thought behind it.