Men/Women Cheating on Significant Others

Cycloin

Feb 5, 2009
Johnston
I agree, but even more annoying is the insinuation that 99% of men have absolutely no ability or desire to control themselves, or that getting some strange is more important to almost everyone than a committed relationship. Not only is it offensive it's depressing.

You've nailed it, Bryce. The rediculous assertion that men cannot control themselves is a convenient excuse for:

men to rationalize terrible behavior
women to tacitly approve said behavior.

It also pisses me off to be defined as such. Just like it pisses me off to be defined by media, society, etc., as a Christian by those that always are in front of a TV camera.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I will use my family for an example so we can see where it may happen more often. I know very few of my buddies that have ever done it once married, but remember, most have my friends have been married for less than 5 years.

My grandparents had 4 daughters, live in iowa, etc... My mother and father made it 11 years, aunt and her first husband lasted 15 years, and other 2 aunts are still married. My youngest aunt has only been married for 6 years and nothing yet. Of the other 3, 2 husbands cheated and 1 wife cheated.

So 75% of marriages someone cheats.

66% of the cheaters are men, 33% women.

This is what I know to be true.

My Grandparents had 6 kids. All got married, and one divorced very quickly, and it wasn't because of adultery. Out of the other 5 marriages, there have been 3 affairs, all by the wife.

So applying what you just did there, it means:

50% of marriages someone cheats.

100% are women.

I know that these stats aren't realistic against the whole population.

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
Had a huge debate today at work over who cheats more often on their significant other. All of the women I work with said that between 60-80% of men cheat on their wives, girlfriends, etc. I thought that number was ridiculous to begin with and felt that women were just as likely if not more likely to cheat than men. I realize this is a message board with all dudes but what do you think about this???

Article in the new Maxim issue written by women on how men can cheat and get away with it.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Please define cheating? Does the thought of sex with someone who isn't your significant other qualify as cheating? Every guy who is married is a ******* liar if he hasn't thought about sex with somebody else at least once. :wink:

That is a BS argument women use to make their men feel guilty. Thinking about it is NOT cheating.

BCforISU

Feb 17, 2008
Madison, WI
My Grandparents had 6 kids. All got married, and one divorced very quickly, and it wasn't because of adultery. Out of the other 5 marriages, there have been 3 affairs, all by the wife.

100% are women.

So what we should do is get a poll set up where we can put how many cheaters we know, and if they were men or women. We could then get a figure on the % of men/women who cheat. We can't really get anything on the % overall.

BCforISU

Feb 17, 2008
Madison, WI

100% are women.

so far that is 6 cheaters, 4 women, 2 men. 66% women 33% men

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008

100% are women.

I tried to give you some reputation for this post, but I guess I have to 'spread it around' before I give you any more.

Anyway, nicely done.

Cystate22

Apr 11, 2006
Reinbeck, Iowa
My ex-wife would add to the cheating number as she cheated on me. My brother's ex-wife cheated on him so add another one to the woman that cheat. In my life I have seen more woman cheat on men then men cheating on women. My thoughts on the whole thing is if you get married and then decide you are not happy get divorced and spare the other person the feelings of shame and pain of knowing you cheated on them too. People that don't know what commitment means should never get married. Its ok for people to be like that, but don't bring down someone else with your bad choices.

BCforISU

Feb 17, 2008
Madison, WI
My ex-wife would add to the cheating number as she cheated on me. My brother's ex-wife cheated on him so add another one to the woman that cheat. In my life I have seen more woman cheat on men then men cheating on women. My thoughts on the whole thing is if you get married and then decide you are not happy get divorced and spare the other person the feelings of shame and pain of knowing you cheated on them too. People that don't know what commitment means should never get married. Its ok for people to be like that, but don't bring down someone else with your bad choices.

Agree 100%, my wife and I were both cheated on prior to us meeting. We have made that agreement if we are thinking about it, to talk first, if we can't fix it we will get out. No reason to hurt the other person because you can't handle the committment!

Cystate22

Apr 11, 2006
Reinbeck, Iowa
Agree 100%, my wife and I were both cheated on prior to us meeting. We have made that agreement if we are thinking about it, to talk first, if we can't fix it we will get out. No reason to hurt the other person because you can't handle the committment!

Good for you two! That is the adult thing to do, and it saves people so much pain in the long run. I can't see myself ever getting married again, as I just don't think I could trust someone enough again to make that commitment. I am glad you and your wife found each other after what you both had to go through.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
All of the numbers quoted here are just the minimum - just because you don't know someone has cheated doesn't mean they haven't cheated. Even if someone told you they didn't cheat, or their spouse was the one that cheated, they could be lying to save face.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I know this, having a wife that is willing to admire a nice rack with you makes life a lot easier! :yes:

I would be interested in the actual numbers (if you could ever get them) of how many of each sex cheated period, vs. how many did so only when provided an unsought opportunity.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I know this, having a wife that is willing to admire a nice rack with you makes life a lot easier! :yes:

I would be interested in the actual numbers (if you could ever get them) of how many of each sex cheated period, vs. how many did so only when provided an unsought opportunity.

Amen to this...I actually tell my wife she is a "boob gal" cause she looks as much as I.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I think that men tend to "play" more but I think women "cheat" more. I think it takes more for a guy to think they are in a serious relationship. I think after a couple dates sometimes women all of a sudden think they are in a serious relationship so when the guy does something with another girl thinking he is not in a relationship he does not think he is cheating but she does therefor giving us a bad reputation. Once the relationship gets to a point where the guy now thinks of this a serious relationship, he is less likely to cheat than the woman. I suppose what I am saying is there is a difference in our definitions of a "relationship" and therefor a difference on whether it is technically "cheating." I have never cheated on a girl that was even close to what I would call something serious but I have been cheated on twice. That is embarrassing, but on the other hand, I have been the other guy in those scenarios too which feels almost is bad (In both scenerios I did not know until the act had taken place)

clonz

Aug 7, 2008
Who in your office is currently cheating or wants to cheat on their spouse with someone there that they would bring this up at work and say the percentages must be this high? :biggrin:

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Had a huge debate today at work over who cheats more often on their significant other. All of the women I work with said that between 60-80% of men cheat on their wives, girlfriends, etc. I thought that number was ridiculous to begin with and felt that women were just as likely if not more likely to cheat than men. I realize this is a message board with all dudes but what do you think about this???

Okay, that right there tells me you aren't really good at math.

Also, why is "they" used so often in posts here, rather than "we" when talking about those of our own gender? If no one on here cheats, then how does anyone on here know what they're talking about?

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
IMO cheating can only take place if you're married, until you are legally married.....you are technically legally single. I'm not saying that anything is open game until you're married, but why act like you're married if you're not married? If you can't not sleep with someone else while you're dating someone then you are light years from being ready to me married. Of course this is just my opinion, and probably one of the many reasons I am not married.