Melvin freaking Ejim

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
I'm pretty new to the party here in cyclone land, but I've got to think that he's getting close to the proverbial "Mount Rushmore" in ISU's hoop history isn't he? Especially if our Rushmore had 5 heads?

Hoiberg
Tinsley
Grayer
Hornacek
Ejim?

Is that horribly out of line?

The Mount Rushmore of ISU hoops consists of two faces - Johnny Orr and Gary Thompson. That's it. After those two, it gets too hard to decide who should/shouldn't be there. No one can argue against these two.

MontanaClone

Mar 17, 2013
Inverness, MT
The Mount Rushmore of ISU hoops consists of two faces - Johnny Orr and Gary Thompson. That's it. After those two, it gets too hard to decide who should/shouldn't be there. No one can argue against these two.

Ok, sorry about that, I went back and put the "players only" caveat in after my original post.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA

Um, Hoiberg is inarguable.

Id say Grayer as well.

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
I see your point there, the reasons I put him on were the quality of the team while he was here, and the fact that he had such a long and I'd say good NBA career as an ISU alum.

I think you almost have to be at a school for 4 years to be considered an "all-time" great player there. With the way the college game is today with so many one and dones, it's rare to have a very good player around that long before bolting to the NBA, which is why what Melvin has done for us is so special. Do you think Wiggins or Embiid will be considered all time greats when they leave KU after this year? Even if they won a national title, I would say probably not.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
One of the best Cyclones of all time. I would say Mcdoormat's best recruit but glad only Fred was able to coach him.

McDermott's best recruit was Brackins by far. Imagine if he played under Hoiberg.

As far as the Mt.Rushmore, it has to be Orr and Thompson and Hoiberg to go along with what some have said. That last spot is trickier.

MontanaClone

Mar 17, 2013
Inverness, MT
I think you almost have to be at a school for 4 years to be considered an "all-time" great player there. With the way the college game is today with so many one and dones, it's rare to have a very good player around that long before bolting to the NBA, which is why what Melvin has done for us is so special. Do you think Wiggins or Embiid will be considered all time greats when they leave KU after this year? Even if they won a national title, I would say probably not.

Agree with you on all of that, thanks for the conversation. I'll chisel Tinsley out of my Rushmore...:notworthy:

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
No Hoiberg even? After his playing career and the way he's bringing the program back now? I don't think you'd find many on this board who wouldn't have Fred on there.

Totally going to derail the thread...

I won't argue Fred. He is performing a Johnny Orr-like revival job for our program. He is a great coach and he was a very good player. But Fred goes on because he IS Iowa State - not necessarily because of his coaching or his play. If he wasn't from Ames, do you think he would be a gimmie? Not sure. (Don't misunderstand me, love Fred and respect everything he has done for ISU. Not knocking him)

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Melvin has improved more than I have expected him to every year. Stud.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Totally going to derail the thread...

I won't argue Fred. He is performing a Johnny Orr-like revival job for our program. He is a great coach and he was a very good player. But Fred goes on because he IS Iowa State - not necessarily because of his coaching or his play. If he wasn't from Ames, do you think he would be a gimmie? Not sure. (Don't misunderstand me, love Fred and respect everything he has done for ISU. Not knocking him)

Yes. Being from Ames is icing on the cake.
If no Fred, no point in having this Mt. Rushmore.

MontanaClone

Mar 17, 2013
Inverness, MT
Yes. Being from Ames is icing on the cake.
If no Fred, no point in having this Mt. Rushmore.

Agree, and sorry for taking the thread a little off topic, my intent was to learn a little about people's perceptions of some of ISU's greats, and to compliment Melvin on not only a great game today and what I think, if all things were equal, could be a Big XII POY kind of senior season.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Agree, and sorry for taking the thread a little off topic, my intent was to learn a little about people's perceptions of some of ISU's greats, and to compliment Melvin on not only a great game today and what I think, if all things were equal, could be a Big XII POY kind of senior season.

No problem. I think I could explain it better:
1. Fred's accomplishments make it empirically impossible to leave him out.
2. Fred's growing up in Ames makes it emotionally impossible to leave him out.

I don't know if Melvin makes the mountain or not, but his jersey needs to be hanging in the rafters immediately.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
No problem. I think I could explain it better:
1. Fred's accomplishments make it empirically impossible to leave him out.
2. Fred's growing up in Ames makes it emotionally impossible to leave him out.

I don't know if Melvin makes the mountain or not, but his jersey needs to be hanging in the rafters immediately.

Are we going to start that again?

Help Support Us

Become a patron