Melvin freaking Ejim

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
No problem. I think I could explain it better:
1. Fred's accomplishments make it empirically impossible to leave him out.
2. Fred's growing up in Ames makes it emotionally impossible to leave him out.

I don't know if Melvin makes the mountain or not, but his jersey needs to be hanging in the rafters immediately.

Not sure about this either. Agree with the emotional part.

aute19

Sep 30, 2011
We've had the pleasure of watching Melvin Ejim the basketball player for the past several years on the court. What seals the deal for me, though, is Melvin Ejim the citizen. He's a humble, down-to-earth, respectful guy who works his tail off in the classroom.

It's trite, but he's truly a guy who "does it the right way".

ISUCyclone06

Oct 31, 2010
Greensboro, NC
Melvin Ejim will have his number hanging in the rafters, you want a player to key the turnaround of a program....it's him. Dedication, Hard work, and confidence!

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
1000 rebounds (maybe) in a career for a 6'6" guy is almost unheard of at this level.

ty4cy90

Apr 27, 2010
Ames/Spirit Lake
No way Tinsley is in there IMO. He was great for us, but only for 2 years.

Two of our most successful years though. No way the Fizer team sniffs the Elite 8 that year w/o Tinsley. I think a lot of today's younger fans (myself included) wouldn't be huge ISU fans without Tinsley.

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
Yeah MontanaClone, your late to the party. I posted something similar last year.

I'm pretty new to the party here in cyclone land, but I've got to think that he's getting close to the proverbial "Mount Rushmore" in ISU's hoop history isn't he? Especially if our Rushmore had 5 heads?

Hoiberg
Tinsley
Grayer
Hornacek
Ejim?
Is that horribly out of line? I'm talking players only here. Just my opinion, but I love the effort he has consistently played with for 4 years, creating his ability to rebound against bigger players. From his freshman year, when his game was I think similar to Hogue's, to now, he's become a very skilled offensive player through that same work ethic. Please set me straight here if I'm way off, but I think he's getting close.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
Not sure how Orr gets on to the top 5 player list, so he's out. If this is a top 5 players list, Thompson's out too. Sorry to pi$$ off the old fanatics.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Melvin Ejim will have his number hanging in the rafters, you want a player to key the turnaround of a program....it's him. Dedication, Hard work, and confidence!

Bill Cain averaged 19 and 12 for his career. And he was picked first team all-conference twice. His jersey isn't hanging. Big Vic averaged 17 and 7 and was first team all-conference twice. His jersey isn't hanging.

Love Melvin. Great Cyclone. But no.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Not sure how Orr gets on to the top 5 player list, so he's out. If this is a top 5 players list, Thompson's out too. Sorry to pi$$ off the old fanatics.

I said Orr before he put in stipulation about it being players. Thompson was second-team All American, two time first team all-conference and was chosen conference player of the year (over Wilt Chamberlain). He averaged over 18 points per game. And he's out??

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
I said Orr before he put in stipulation about it being players. Thompson was second-team All American, two time first team all-conference and was chosen conference player of the year (over Wilt Chamberlain). He averaged over 18 points per game. And he's out??

It's not a knock on him, it's just that there are 5 better players. Yep, on my list he's out.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
If we make a final four this year, I think we can talk about banners and future number retiring for Melvin. If we win it all, a bronze statue of him flipping off BYU fans would be good. If we get a typical ISU seeding and 3rd round or earlier exit.....Melvin's body of work and career still need to be honored with something permanent. Maybe a special portrait display in the concourse or a special Hardrock Cafe-type souvenier display at Johnny Orr's or something. I am glad he is getting as much out of his Ames experience as I did......after he plays in Europe or wherever I may invite him to Wall Street with me.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
It's not a knock on him, it's just that there are 5 better players. Yep, on my list he's out.

Curious as to your list. Can't wait to see 5 better players. The list of Cyclones picked first-team all conference is short. All-Americans is even shorter. (And keep in mind, he averaged 18/game without a 3 point line.)

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Not sure about everyone else, but he's not in my 5.

You obviously do not know your Cyclone Basketball History. Gary Thompson was a Basketball All American (and Baseball All American) that led a successful ISU basketball team to an epic upset win over Wilt Chamberlain and the Kansas Jayhawks. Gary Thompson beat out Wilt Chamberlain for Big Seven Conference Player of the Year. The first Cyclone to score 1,000 points and the first to score 40 points in a game.

When talking of the Cyclone Greats, Gary Thompson is one of the best ever. It is not a list without Gary Thompson.

I also noticed that Marcus Fizer was left off. Another Cyclone great.

And getting back to Melvin Ejim. Great Cyclone. Love him. Ejim chose to be a Cyclone while some other guy from Ames rejected us and went somewhere else.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron