McDermott under contract until 2015?

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
That contract is ridiculous. Gmac got an extra year because Jiri got a car? Extensions should be based on performance, not asinine clauses like this.

Our AD effectively gave a 9-year contract with a half million per year buyout to a coach who had never coached at the BCS level before. Giving that contact to anyone is insane! My God what was Pollard thinking giving that contract to anyone?

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I support the way he's hired coaches. It doesn't leave people hanging in the wind publicly, it doesn't leave us hanging publicly. He just works until the job is done.

I'll support Jamie until someone can prove that the coaches he hired didn't inherit struggling programs that weren't going to have the talent to compete.

Maybe quoting Marty isn't the best source to use:wink:
Maybe Marty er Martha is RIGHT & YOUR WRONG!!!:biglaugh:

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I support the way he's hired coaches. It doesn't leave people hanging in the wind publicly, it doesn't leave us hanging publicly. He just works until the job is done.

I'll support Jamie until someone can prove that the coaches he hired didn't inherit struggling programs that weren't going to have the talent to compete.

Maybe quoting Marty isn't the best source to use:wink:

Forget about the success or lack thereof of Gmac. Why in the world would our AD give him a 9 year contract with a half million a year buyout? That is insane. What a terrible contract, what in the world was he thinking?

lomashad

Oct 19, 2006
The reason for all of this player turnover is because of McDermott. That's why everyone has left. It's why West left, it's why Taggart left, it's why Degand left, it's why Carr left, etc.

When Huggins left K-State, Beasley didn't follow him to West Virginia because K-State had a coach that was able to keep Beasley around. Players are leaving because they don't like McDermott because he runs a sluggish offense. I am so sick of everyone saying that this player turnover is not McDermott's fault when it clearly is.

Having said that, if McDermott is around until 2015, this program is in the cellar until 2018...Great!

Amen!

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
McDermott could lead us to the NCAA tournament next year and you all would still call for his head and Pollard's head. Paul Rhodes could lead us to the BCS Title game and people would still call for Pollard's head. How the hell do you people live everyday life not trusting anyone around you?

That post is simply insane. I can't believe you would think that, let alone type it out. That is based off nothing factual, you are simply setting up an asinine straw man argument.

Just look at the facts. People are upset because our programs are in the Big 12 cellar, and our AD apparently thought it was a good idea to base yearly extensions off of Jiri's driving habits instead of the success of our program. Seriously. Why? Why in the world would he give that kind of contract to anyone?

buckskin

Feb 1, 2007
If and when Jp's job becomes available, I'd like to see every poster on this board who complains about the job he is doing to apply for that position. After all, you people doing the complaining, seem to have all the answers. MontyBurns should be the first in line for th job.

Reactions: IcSyU

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Does anybody know how this contract looks relative to others out there? My sense it's not out of line.

It is incredibly out of line. No coaches who have never coached at the BCS level get 9 year contracts with buyouts this size. No coaches get 3 year contract extensions because of their predecessor getting dinged on the APR. Other contracts extensions are based off the success of the program, but ours are given out for completely unrelated reasons.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
It is incredibly out of line. No coaches who have never coached at the BCS level get 9 year contracts with buyouts this size. No coaches get 3 year contract extensions because of their predecessor getting dinged on the APR. Other contracts extensions are based off the success of the program, but ours are given out for completely unrelated reasons.

Let's see some facts instead of some opinions. You've made yours very clear.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
If and when Jp's job becomes available, I'd like to see every poster on this board who complains about the job he is doing to apply for that position. After all, you people doing the complaining, seem to have all the answers. MontyBurns should be the first in line for th job.

That argument is so tired and was never an intelligent argument to begin with. Posters on this board are not paid to run athletic programs effectively. The AD is. There is nothing wrong with expecting our AD to do his job well.

I suppose you also believe nobody should be allowed to criticize the President unless we are qualifed for that job? Its a terrible, transparent argument.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

They are based on successfully bringing us out of the NCAA doghouse, which would have brought on real trouble in building a successful program.

So, it's not based on Yiri's driving habits. It's based on building a clean program.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa

Yeah I wish that little bookeeper was my boss...I could use a pay raise!!!!:biglaugh:

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Let's see some facts instead of some opinions. You've made yours very clear.

I gave you facts. If you don't want to listen to them that is your own choice.

This contract is most definitely not the norm, have you ever heard of a coach getting his contract extended because a player was suspended for a minor NCAA violation under the previous coach? If you can point out other situations like this, I am all ears.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
They are based on successfully bringing us out of the NCAA doghouse, which would have brought on real trouble in building a successful program.

So, it's not based on Yiri's driving habits. It's based on building a clean program.

That is incorrect. The contract extension was not based on Gmac running a clean program. It was based off minor NCAA transgressions under the previous coach.

cy1225

Oct 6, 2007
If there were deficiencies, or problems first remember JP was the AD the in Morgan's first year, so why the he11 does he claim exemption to what allegations were going on when he was manning the ship?

Second, like any other job in America, if an individual has some deficiencies, a performance review should have been drafted, with specific targets to hit and regular evaluations, and the individual should be given a chance to correct.

Instead, Jamie wanted to fire somebody to build his empire and say, "Look at what I did"

You basically nailed it except you forgot to mention (1-2) donors who run the AD were behind it as well.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Lets not forger JPs future as AD at any level rides on the current coaches winning. If he didnt think Mac could get the job done he wouldnt have gave him the extension. JP is out of mistakes when it comes to coaches.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
That is incorrect. The contract extension was not based on Gmac running a clean program. It was based off minor NCAA transgressions under the previous coach.

Those transgression were resulting in lost scholarships, which is the mark of a less-than-clean program, and the article points out that the NCAA had had about enough of this stuff.

So, he's being rewarded for coming to Ames and putting together a clean program that the previous coach was tarnishing. A lot of people aren't willing to take on that kind of challenge, but our guy was.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I gave you facts. If you don't want to listen to them that is your own choice.

This contract is most definitely not the norm, have you ever heard of a coach getting his contract extended because a player was suspended for a minor NCAA violation under the previous coach? If you can point out other situations like this, I am all ears.
\

You did?:confused:

Haven't seen anybody post anything on how this contract compares with our peers.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Those transgression were resulting in lost scholarships, which is the mark of a less-than-clean program, and the article points out that the NCAA had had about enough of this stuff.

So, he's being rewarded for coming to Ames and putting together a clean program that the previous coach was tarnishing. A lot of people aren't willing to take on that kind of challenge, but our guy was.

Nope. There are tons of coaches out there who would come to Ames for a 9-year contract with a huge buyout. That is the simple truth.

I'm not bagging Mcdermott here, he has to get the best deal and job security he can for himself. This is just an awful contract though. Contract extensions should be based on success, not this stuff. Maybe give him a year for that stuff, but one year for each minor transgression? Ridiculous.

Help Support Us

Become a patron