McDermott under contract until 2015?

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
Have you not noticed that with the players we have now, we need to be structured. They don't know what to do with them selves out there, they have no athleticism. They need to be told where to be and what to do. We have to run plays becuase no one can take it to the hoop. No one wants the ball, unless there wide open for a three. We cant play any different style right now, we don't have the type of players yet, but I think we are going in that direction. Even Craig has his limitations but he is far ahead of anyone else.
My comments aren't just referring to the fact that we play a slow-em down type of game. For me, there is alot more to it than that. Its an accumulation of things in the way that we play that has me pretty much convinced that the way he has us playing the past few years, we have lost over half of our big 12 games before they started.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
\

You did?:confused:

Haven't seen anybody post anything on how this contract compares with our peers.

As i said, if you can show me more contract extensions being handed out for these reasons, I am all ears. As you have been unable to supply me with anything on this, I'll assume you are unable to find many. I've never heard of it.

CyAg

May 22, 2006
Haven't seen anybody post anything on how this contract compares with our peers.[/quote]

Probably because no one here, on either side of the debate has done any work with the details of comparable contracts.

However, it is certainly something that with a little online research someone could come up with the public copies of 5-6 similar first contracts for college coaches. A lot of this is public information.

Someone should be up for the challenge.

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
If and when Jp's job becomes available, I'd like to see every poster on this board who complains about the job he is doing to apply for that position. After all, you people doing the complaining, seem to have all the answers. MontyBurns should be the first in line for th job.
So with your logic: if my childs first grade teacher is not doing his job, I have no right to complain because I did not go to school to become a teacher, and don't have the skills to be a teacher? C'mon....your better than that.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
McDermott could lead us to the NCAA tournament next year and you all would still call for his head and Pollard's head. Paul Rhodes could lead us to the BCS Title game and people would still call for Pollard's head. How the hell do you people live everyday life not trusting anyone around you?

I only care about winning and losing. If McD wins I'll get off his back and I'd imagine 99% of people would as well. Why wouldn't they?

If and when Jp's job becomes available, I'd like to see every poster on this board who complains about the job he is doing to apply for that position. After all, you people doing the complaining, seem to have all the answers. MontyBurns should be the first in line for th job.

Can we also not be critical of politicians if we don't want to do their job? I'm sorry but the 9 year contract was ridiculous, no bones about it. Should we not be critical of the president, whether it be Bush or Obama? Of course we should.

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
I'm glad we rewarded a coach for cleaning up the program. Maybe next time we can set a contract in place where we give incentives for breaking the rules and then maybe some of you will be happy about it.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I'm glad we rewarded a coach for cleaning up the program. Maybe next time we can set a contract in place where we give incentives for breaking the rules and then maybe some of you will be happy about it.

Absolutely not, but I don't know any reasons why incentives would not be tied to wins and losses. No offense but a lot of coaches could have won this amount of games and done it without cheating.

moforisu

Jun 12, 2006
My comments aren't just referring to the fact that we play a slow-em down type of game. For me, there is alot more to it than that. Its an accumulation of things in the way that we play that has me pretty much convinced that the way he has us playing the past few years, we have lost over half of our big 12 games before they started.

Unless you have Larry Birds shooting the ball from outside, which we dont have, you need athleticism. Theres one or the other! How else are you going to score? I could care less how we win, boring or exciting. You cant do with what you dont have. At least we play defense, something Morgan didn't even know how to define and we all know what he's doing today.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
Absolutely not, but I don't know any reasons why incentives would not be tied to wins and losses. No offense but a lot of coaches could have won this amount of games and done it without cheating.

Do you think Pollard suggested this be put in the contract? Of course not.

McDermott's attorney did as no one knew how hard the NCAA was going to come down on us. I bet Crean has similar provisions in his contract at Indiana.

No one takes tainted jobs without some CYA language in the contract.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Tubby Smith@ Minnesota- 7 year 13 million dollar deal - Tons of other goodys

Mark Turgeon @Texas A & M - 8 year 1.2 million/year

Frank Martin @K State - 5 years deal $760,000 per year

Todd Lickliter @ Iowa 7 year 1.2 million/year contract.

Greg's contract does not look out of line based on just a few other coaches we know.

Last edited:

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Tubby Smith@ Minnesota- 7 year 13 million dollar deal - Tons of other goodys

Mark Turgeon @Texas A & M - 8 year 1.2 million/year

Frank Martin @K State - 5 years deal $760,000 per year

Todd Lickliter @ Iowa 7 year 1.2 million/year contract.

Greg's contract does not look out of line based on just a few other coaches we know.

I tried looking up Pat Knight's, but about all I could find was it's a 5 year deal. There's a guy who was handed a lot fuller deck than Greg McDermott and has way underperformed.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
I am not surprised or am I not unhappy about it. Stability is what this program needs, Mcd leaves then say goodbye to future recruits that he has made nice contacts with and his staff as well. I understand that this program was in the dumps when he took over. I like the recruiting he and his staff have accomplished, but we just lack athletes and some half time adjustments. I like the players that are coming in for this fall ATHLETES who can create their own shot or for others on the floor. 2015 may have been a little much in my opinion so I just really hope Coach Mac will get it done and I think he wants to as well. What coach wants to lose? None of them. So please coach Mac get it done prove to all of us you can do it I believe you can.

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
Unless you have Larry Birds shooting the ball from outside, which we dont have, you need athleticism. Theres one or the other! How else are you going to score? I could care less how we win, boring or exciting. You cant do with what you dont have. At least we play defense, something Morgan didn't even know how to define and we all know what he's doing today.
Again, I'm not talking about just the fact that we play a slow-em down type of game. There's more to it than that. I would take Pitt's style of play if it meant we would win all the time, and frankly they are really not a high-flying exciting team to watch...but they are successful. Anyways, I need to get some work done.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Wait, does Mac get an extra year for Lucca or for all the guys that transfered under his watch?

Oh how people forget that Mac had all the leverage when we hired him. Kansas State had offered him a deal the same day. Mac was looking out for his own *** knowing he was coming into a rock bottom situation. The fact that the years were specifically tied in to things that were going to happen as a result of the crap that went on BEFORE he got here was genius in my opinoin. It's a business folks.

Call me apologist, call me a realist...To me, this just further points out how bad this job was when he took it.

There were better coaches with better resumes interested in the job, Mac didn't have that much leverage...

I wonder what would have happened if Duke fired Coach K after his first 3 years, which were horrible. My god, people don't have any patience today.

I don't think anyone wants to fire him after 3, but it would be nice to have the option after 4,5, or 6 without being taken to the financial woodshed...

People will never know. And unfortunately, a lot of the critics would be supporters if they knew what he's actually been up against since day one.

Whatever, its been three years, if people have to keep turning to this BS excuse then you know things are sad...

Reactions: Drive4cy

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
And I'd consider what McDermott accomplished at UNI more impressive than what Kruger did at UNLV - it's not as if he didn't have a program with a history of basketball aiding him...

What about what Kruger did at Florida? Illinois? Kansas State? How many conference titles does Mac have? How many times out of the first round of the NCAAs?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron