McDermott under contract until 2015?

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
How do you know that? Its not the style of play that has been McDermotts downfall, its been the quality of players. That is one of the major things Mac has to work on in the upcoming years and I can already see that he is trying to change that.
I know that by watching us play.

My hope is that better talent will ultimately change our style of play. If our strategy does not change.....oh boy. That's all I have to say.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
One thing I respect about JP is that he's not airing all the dirty laundry out in public. I don't really want people to know all of my own, much less airing out someone elses.

I keep thinking that JP is trying to move on and build the department, instead of dwelling in the past about it. Not a bad idea, really.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
I have no problem with it. Maybe now the complainers will shut up and or leave. at least he doesnt get a raise with it, he is still somewhat underpaid compared to other coaches. But i think he does get a 50k raise each year.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Not trying to single you out but I really hope that the people in this category follow through with what they are saying for next year. For some people it feels like they have an unlimited tolerance for losing and defending GMac and that is depressing to me.

I've been saying since December next year is the year. I like McD as a guy but eventually he has to produce, and with Gilstrap likely getting one year as well as anybody being foolish to think Brackins will be back for a fourth year next year is when it needs to happen, because after that we lose our best players again.

It's NCAA or bust for me next year. I'll dump my season tickets if we don't.

cyco2000

Nov 5, 2007
I have no problem with it. Maybe now the complainers will shut up and or leave. at least he doesnt get a raise with it, he is still somewhat underpaid compared to other coaches. But i think he does get a 50k raise each year.

That's a good one. Anyone that questions anything should go away or be quiet. Nothing to see here. It's all going great, right? Why is someone who questions 6-10, 4-12, 3-12 a bad fan? No one should be fired, but people should be questioning methodology and results with a record like that.

What coach is he underpaid compared to?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
People will never know. And unfortunately, a lot of the critics would be supporters if they knew what he's actually been up against since day one.

I have no idea what he's been up against, but since people with the closest connections to the program keep saying the same thing - that the program was in horrible shape and as a result was about to face penalties from the NCAA leads me to believe that the program was in worse shape than the common fan wants to admit or realize.

People always want to base everything on wins and losses - which in the grand scheme of things IS what is the determinant of the success or failure of a coach. And people look to year three of Morgan's tenure and say "he was successful - why the hell did we fire him?" Problem is, if the program was heading for as deep of trouble by the NCAA as those closest to the program say they were, and considering that Morgan coached a very undisciplined kind of basketball which only "worked" if he had some kind of talent to work with (and there's nobody that won't deny this), then who knows how bad years 4 or 5 of Morgan's tenure could have been? I think they could have been 2 of Iowa State's worst basketball years - and then we'd be ripping JP because we didn't hire McD when he came knocking on our door and instead settled into a nice spot at either K-State or Iowa.

Reactions: Balrog

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
But i think he does get a 50k raise each year.

It's actually $75 K.....

Man, will anybody stand up and say America has it's value priorities screwed up. An underperforming / underachieving coach gets a raise that 95% of Americans don't even get as a base salary.

The next industry that needs a correction / recession is sports.

Reactions: yCy

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
honestly, i'm not surprised or upset at all about this. Indiana had to do something pretty similar with Crean due to the uncertainty about penalties at the time. Crean got a 10 year deal w/o ever coaching a game at IU.

I say irrational things about the program on here sometimes in the heat of the moment (or loss...), but i really do believe that Greg will be successful here. Has he made mistakes? I think all of us would say yes (i.e recruiting misses). The question inevitably will be whether he has learned from those mistakes. The future at least looks brighter next year - we trade Petersen, Haluska, and Thompson with Colvin, Gilstrap, Christopherson, and Pomlee. Plus our young guys will be more seasoned.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
It's actually $75 K.....

Man, will anybody stand up and say America has it's value priorities screwed up. An underperforming / underachieving coach gets a raise that 95% of Americans don't even get as a base salary.

The next industry that needs a correction / recession is sports.

I agree that this much of a raise is stunning. For me, it's extra-stunning since my employer announced Tuesday night that we won't be doing raises for the rest of 2009 (at least).

I love the extension, but the raise is a little touchy.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
People always want to base everything on wins and losses - which in the grand scheme of things IS what is the determinant of the success or failure of a coach. And people look to year three of Morgan's tenure and say "he was successful - why the hell did we fire him?" .

If there were deficiencies, or problems first remember JP was the AD the in Morgan's first year, so why the he11 does he claim exemption to what allegations were going on when he was manning the ship?

Second, like any other job in America, if an individual has some deficiencies, a performance review should have been drafted, with specific targets to hit and regular evaluations, and the individual should be given a chance to correct.

Instead, Jamie wanted to fire somebody to build his empire and say, "Look at what I did"

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Nice article and it does a good job pointing out some of the reasons why. Loss of scholarships is a big deal and that's one thing you really can't hang on McDermott.

The buy out terms aren't that bad.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
The article mentions three scholarships that were lost along the way. I'm not good at how long these were lost or any of that.

I'm assuming that we have them back now, and that's helping our recruiting just a little. Am I right, or is there something I'm missing?

Is this part of how we ended up with the walk-on type of player, since we had to recruit guys that would be OK with walking on?

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
When Huggins left K-State, Beasley didn't follow him to West Virginia because K-State had a coach that was able to keep Beasley around. Players are leaving because they don't like McDermott because he runs a sluggish offense. I am so sick of everyone saying that this player turnover is not McDermott's fault when it clearly is.

Beasley was never going to K-State because of Huggins. An assistant coach,that happened to be Beasley's coach was on K-States staff. Beasley said he was going to follow that coach no matter what. Before Beasley went to K-State he was committed to some mid-major school that his aau coach was at, once he made the move to K-State Beasley did as well. When Huggins left, the assistant stayed with K-State, so Beasley stayed as well.

moforisu

Jun 12, 2006
Based on what? The style of play he has us playing right now gives us virtually no chance of winning in the big 12.

Have you not noticed that with the players we have now, we need to be structured. They don't know what to do with them selves out there, they have no athleticism. They need to be told where to be and what to do. We have to run plays becuase no one can take it to the hoop. No one wants the ball, unless there wide open for a three. We cant play any different style right now, we don't have the type of players yet, but I think we are going in that direction. Even Craig has his limitations but he is far ahead of anyone else.

URBCLONE

Mar 26, 2006
Urbandale

• Coach has the first consecutive 3 year stretch of losing seasons in over 20 years.
  • Coach admits that the team HE put on the court is not athletic enough.
  • Coach's player attrition stats are abysmal.
  • Coach's offensive system routinely produces 50-60 pts and rarely Big 12 victories.
And so the answer is:

• Tell critical people to shut up because they don't know what is going on 'behind the scenes'.
  • Tell critics to stay away from the games and support another team.
  • Tell critics to hang tough apparently for another 6 years, because dang it 4 years simply isn't enough time to turn around a BB program even if it is enough time to judge the President of the United States.
I have not called for his job this year. No NCAA next year and I will. No coach should ever be given a 9 year contract before he even coaches a game at the university.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I don't want Jamie Pollard responsible for hiring another coach at ISU
DING....DING...DING ...and the winner is: Go2Guy!!! You said it all as far as Im concerned...The way that Jamie picks coaches I for one am Done with Jamie ever picking another coach...I dont care if Greg Mac gets another 50 years at Ames and never wins another game ..I just dont want another coaching hire by THAT LITTLE BOOKEEPER!!!! Not now Not ever...zip nada!!!!

"Why that little bookeeper fired me"...quote by Dan McCarney

Dan McCarney the last football coach to get us to a bowl game...

"Maybe Pollard shouldnt have fired McCarney"...quoting Marty er Martha Tyrrell:biglaugh:

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
DING....DING...DING ...and the winner is: Go2Guy!!! You said it all as far as Im concerned...The way that Jamie picks coaches I for one am Done with Jamie ever picking another coach...I dont care if Greg Mac gets another 50 years at Ames and never wins another game ..I just dont want another coaching hire by THAT LITTLE BOOKEEPER!!!! Not now Not ever...zip nada!!!!

"Maybe Pollard shouldnt have fired McCarney"...quoting Marty er Martha Tyrrell:biglaugh:
McDermott could lead us to the NCAA tournament next year and you all would still call for his head and Pollard's head. Paul Rhodes could lead us to the BCS Title game and people would still call for Pollard's head. How the hell do you people live everyday life not trusting anyone around you?

Reactions: Balrog

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica

I support the way he's hired coaches. It doesn't leave people hanging in the wind publicly, it doesn't leave us hanging publicly. He just works until the job is done.

I'll support Jamie until someone can prove that the coaches he hired didn't inherit struggling programs that weren't going to have the talent to compete.

Maybe quoting Marty isn't the best source to use:wink:

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
McDermott could lead us to the NCAA tournament next year and you all would still call for his head and Pollard's head. Paul Rhodes could lead us to the BCS Title game and people would still call for Pollard's head. How the hell do you people live everyday life not trusting anyone around you?

I work with a lot of folks like that. I think the complaining takes the place of food.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron