McDermott under contract until 2015?

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
What about what Kruger did at Florida? Illinois? Kansas State? How many conference titles does Mac have? How many times out of the first round of the NCAAs?

Q. After Kruger didn't get the ISU job what BCS school quickly hired him?

A. None.

Reactions: Bobber

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
You do realize why people are skeptical of your claim that Kruger wanted to come to ISU?

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
You do realize why people are skeptical of your claim that Kruger wanted to come to ISU?
Why are people skeptical? Since he claims to be from gainesville he would have grown up there when kruger coached at florida, he also claims to have played to have played baseball at isu.....seems to be some pretty good tie-ins there to me.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
What about what Kruger did at Florida? Illinois? Kansas State? How many conference titles does Mac have? How many times out of the first round of the NCAAs?

So why is he still coaching at UNLV then?

That and you've said coachES. So far you've only named one coach - and even with him I've heard of no official indication other than speculation by yourself that he actually wanted to come here.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
People will never know. And unfortunately, a lot of the critics would be supporters if they knew what he's actually been up against since day one.

I'm sure he's been up against quite a bit, but that doesn't excuse the inappropriate-for-the-Big-12 style of basketball he's trying to play at ISU, or his lack of understanding (by his own admission) of the talent level required to play in the Big 12.

If Morgan needed to be fired in order to prevent NCAA sanctions, then fine. However, someone qualified to jump right in at the Big 12 level should have been hired, not someone who needed three years (or maybe more) of on-the-job training.

Here's the bottom line after three years of McDermott: ISU is one of the worst teams in the Big 12, and has maybe 2 or 3 Big 12 caliber players presently on the roster. Maybe there are some talented recruits coming in, but that will not be known until they get here and actually perform. The performance of the program under McDermott is not deserving of a contract extension through 2015.

CyRocket

Jan 31, 2007
I have heard a number of former college coaches and players comment on TV what a fine job of coaching Mac has done with the talent we have. But then I suppose that they don't know what the are talking about and we should believe a guy from Texas and a former baseball player over everyone else.

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
I have heard a number of former college coaches and players comment on TV what a fine job of coaching Mac has done with the talent we have. But then I suppose that they don't know what the are talking about and we should believe a guy from Texas and a former baseball player over everyone else.

I think he's done fine with the talent he has. The problem is, the lack of talent is his fault. Can't have it both ways. There's no doubt that winning 15 games with the current talent level is a fine coaching job. Not a great coaching job, but a solid one. I wouldn't argue that.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Nope. There are tons of coaches out there who would come to Ames for a 9-year contract with a huge buyout. That is the simple truth.

I'm not bagging Mcdermott here, he has to get the best deal and job security he can for himself. This is just an awful contract though. Contract extensions should be based on success, not this stuff. Maybe give him a year for that stuff, but one year for each minor transgression? Ridiculous.

They apparently weren't minor to the NCAA, and our last coaching search proved that most coaches wouldn't come here at all.

Reactions: GoCubsGo

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA

Whose in charge of "the talent we have".

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I don't know if it's been brought up yet or not because I haven't read the entire thread, but how do said posters pissed about this know that a donor didn't step in and say lock him up, and if we need to go a different direction, I'll give you the money to buy out the contract.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I don't know if it's been brought up yet or not because I haven't read the entire thread, but how do said posters pissed about this know that a donor didn't step in and say lock him up, and if we need to go a different direction, I'll give you the money to buy out the contract.

That has not yet come up. It would be interesting, but unproven like so many things today.

Except for Bryan Petersen. He was a proven commodity today:cool::yes::notworthy:

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

Believe what you want. The facts are that for the last three seasons, ISU has been 6-10 (7th), 4-12 (11th), and 4-12 (10th) in the Big 12. And if you have the stomach for it, check out where ISU stands in the various conference statistics this season...

CycloneJoe

Jan 12, 2009
Carson City
If Brackins were to comeback isu would be the best team in the state and a 500 or better big 12 team.

When he leave for the draft we become the 3rd best team in the state and 4-12 in the Big 12 again

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
If Brackins were to comeback isu would be the best team in the state and a 500 or better big 12 team.

When he leave for the draft we become the 3rd best team in the state and 4-12 in the Big 12 again

How about either way being the 3rd best team in the conference. :biggrin:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron