McDermott under contract until 2015?

rhillary

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 31, 2007
Plainfield, IL
The reason for all of this player turnover is because of McDermott. That's why everyone has left. It's why West left, it's why Taggart left, it's why Degand left, it's why Carr left, etc.

When Huggins left K-State, Beasley didn't follow him to West Virginia because K-State had a coach that was able to keep Beasley around. Players are leaving because they don't like McDermott because he runs a sluggish offense. I am so sick of everyone saying that this player turnover is not McDermott's fault when it clearly is.

Having said that, if McDermott is around until 2015, this program is in the cellar until 2018...Great!

This is absolutely NOT TRUE. The only person you could really point to and say "He left solely because of McD" is Johnson, and he was a head case about it.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
Then you have to wonder what moron would fire Wayne Morgan after three years.

WM should have been given another year or two in my eyes just like McD should be given another year or two.

Just because JP made one mistake doesn't mean he needs to repeat it.

cyco2000

Nov 5, 2007
That's one version of paying attention.

I don't think he made a 100% comparison. He only pointed out that Coach K got off to a rough start.

Good job on the reading comprehension there. Or did you just read what you wanted to read there?

I think that was my point. He obviously didn't make a 100% comparison. Then, he'd make the point that McD will be bringing ISU a National Championship or 2.

I'm not advocating firing. But comparing it to Coach K? Come on.

How about we mention Wayne Morgan's first three years? Jim Woolridge's first 3 years? Dana Altman's first three years at K-State?

I'm just asking why we pull Coach K as the example we're comparing to. If you can't handle the comparison, maybe we should pick a different coach to compare wins and losses with.

I have a feeling that Coach K is one of the few successful major conference D1 coaches in the past 25 years that didn't get to the tourney in his first 3 years, and that's why it works for comparison. Let's hope McD is another one.

Reactions: yCy and CycloneErik

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
The fact that that clause was in the contract seems to indicate that we were expecting penalties, and possibly even more.

People will never know. And unfortunately, a lot of the critics would be supporters if they knew what he's actually been up against since day one.

j4state

May 21, 2006
Visit site
Thats fine, I expect the NCAA's next year, especially if Brackins comes back. I realize he has a lot of work to do to turn this thing around but unlike other people, I am not calling for his head after only 3 years.

Not trying to single you out but I really hope that the people in this category follow through with what they are saying for next year. For some people it feels like they have an unlimited tolerance for losing and defending GMac and that is depressing to me.

I've never said "Fire Gmac" but I'm to the point where I am pretty sure he isn't going to get it done. Obviously, I'd love to be proven wrong but at the same time I'm not going to sit here and put faith in things that look fuzzy at best.

I hope that you optimists have a clearer outlook than I, but you would have a tough time convincing me you do at the present time.

Reactions: yCy

cyco2000

Nov 5, 2007
People will never know. And unfortunately, a lot of the critics would be supporters if they knew what he's actually been up against since day one.

And, if I knew the lottery numbers, I would win.

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts...

Unfortunately, all we as fans know is what we see on the court.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I think that was my point. He obviously didn't make a 100% comparison. Then, he'd make the point that McD will be bringing ISU a National Championship or 2.

I'm not advocating firing. But comparing it to Coach K? Come on.

How about we mention Wayne Morgan's first three years? Jim Woolridge's first 3 years? Dana Altman's first three years at K-State?

I'm just asking why we pull Coach K as the example we're comparing to. If you can't handle the comparison, maybe we should pick a different coach to compare wins and losses with.

I have a feeling that Coach K is one of the few successful major conference D1 coaches in the past 25 years that didn't get to the tourney in his first 3 years, and that's why it works for comparison. Let's hope McD is another one.

He likely is one of the few. Good post:smile:

cloneaholic

Apr 20, 2006
I wonder what would have happened if Duke fired Coach K after his first 3 years, which were horrible. My god, people don't have any patience today.

I try to let it run off my shoulders, but I'm getting so sick of fans who are calling for McDermott's head. Never mind the fact that this program has lost its best returning player(s) for three years in a row (Stinson, Blaylock, Taylor, W. Johnson) through no fault of the coach. Never mind the fact that the program was in shambles when the coach arrived, and it was too late for him to effectively recruit during his first year. None of that matters because these fans demand immediate gratification!

This analogy might be a stretch, but these kind of fans remind me of some of the people who are facing home foreclosures because they moved into a much bigger house than they can afford. They're not mature enough to sacrifice for a few years until they can save enough money to afford the home of their dreams - no, they want it now! This kind of mentality has a lot to do with why this country is in a horrible mess.

My opinion is that if we're going to invest long-term in a coach, then we selected the perfect coach for the job, as evidenced by by his past performance at smaller schools with less resources than ours, by his players' never quit attitude (even after the chance for postseason play has long since evaporated), and by the quality recruits who've committed to this program for the future.

If ISU had dumped McCarney after his first three lousy years, we would have never gone to all of those bowl games or owned the hawkeyes for several straight years.

No, the biggest challenge to our future success on the basketball court is not McDermott. It's the "I want the W's now or I want him gone" attitude of so many of today's fans.

Reactions: cyismydog and zach

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
WM should have been given another year or two in my eyes just like McD should be given another year or two.

Just because JP made one mistake doesn't mean he needs to repeat it.

This really makes sense and I agree with what you said.

A lot of 'Clone fans keep alluding to allegations of Morgan's firing that have never been brought to light, not even by Pollard. We don't fire people at ISU for unproven allegations. IMO Pollard pulled the trigger too soon because he was too eager to build his empire.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
This doesn't bother me. Like it or not folks McDermott is going to be here for at least 2 more seasons in my opinion unless something really drastic happens. We all know the mess he took over and the loss of 2 key players that would have had a big impact in the win collumn with Taylor and Wesley. Taylor's departure had to happen, we all know that and we can't blame Mac for that. Mike's life and career was going in the wrong direction and as a result of that decision he turned it around and is playing in the NBA now. I'm not sure he would be had he stayed at ISU 1 more season and possible gotten into more trouble in the process. The Wesley thing we all know something smelled fishy about that one. I really do believe next year is the telling year of how Mac's tenure is going to be as long as Brackins returns. Gilstrap and Colvin along with an improved young core we currently have in place has a lot of potential and a little winning could go a long ways to silencing the critics here.

I really hope Mac has success here because I am proud of the clean program he is building and the work ethic we are seeing from the kids. The talent is not where we want it to be yet but once it is there we could have something special on our hands I think.

Reactions: Balrog

rhillary

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 31, 2007
Plainfield, IL

Are you saying that the average internet posting fan doesn't know absolute everything and we should trust people that do know to do their jobs!?!:wideeyed:

I like you man, but your crazy!:jimlad:

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
Based on what? The style of play he has us playing right now gives us virtually no chance of winning in the big 12.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Based on what? The style of play he has us playing right now gives us virtually no chance of winning in the big 12.

How do you know that? Its not the style of play that has been McDermotts downfall, its been the quality of players. That is one of the major things Mac has to work on in the upcoming years and I can already see that he is trying to change that.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I'll be as frank as I can.... We were on our last string with the NCAA and we had some ugly things brewing, simple as that.

Let the people that get paid to make these kind of decisions do their jobs and let them get out of the deep crater we were in before making judgements.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron