Mason Chambers Commits!!! (The original thread)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Stop with the Chizik’s Guys stupidity. Lots of Rhoads guys on our roster yet. Good Jones, Meeker, Spears, Croney, Kene (Rhoads Commit that CMC signed), etc. And we had a lot of Rhoda’s players that were critical to the success that we have had the last couple years. Brian Peavey and Lanning and Harvey for example. Rhoads was our best choice for that time. But his moment and opportunity passed. But the enthusiasm generated in those early years led to improvements in facilities that Campbell now enjoys. And continues to capitalize on while improving things more.

Campbell is a much better recruiter. Love the strategy of Big 12 option in the Midwest. Why take a player from Texas just because he is from Texas. Our S & C seems to be better. Coaching Staff Continuity and Consistency is much better. Plus Campbell is an excellent speaker who communicates well. Rhoads stammered and stuttered a lot. Not a good speaker.

Campbell is a great coach. Love him. But we don’t need to bash Rhoads. He did good things. He also didn’t capitalize on opportunities. It was time to part ways. We improved ourselves with the coaching change.

Rhoads was a cheerleader that brought some good publicity to the program. For the first 2 or so seasons, guys played hard for him. His downfall was that he wasn't a very good recruiter, chose his staff poorly (over all) and he couldn't develop kids.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
This is a thread about a specific recruit, right?!?
giphy.gif

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Rhoads' recruiting was on the "upswing", relatively speaking. That's why we had/have guys like Butler, Peavy, Spears, etc. making big contributions. He might've been able to dig out of that hole to get back to his 6-6 years, but I'll never get over the KSU debacle and the ISU hardhat at WVU. Cringy.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I'm just looking at the 247 rankings of our classes. Good lord Rhoads last few classes averaged in the low 80s. Side note... we have the best long snapper in the country commited per 247, but his rating is 79. I wonder how they come to that conclusion.

Bottle cap challenge

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
Rhoads' recruiting was on the "upswing", relatively speaking. That's why we had/have guys like Butler, Peavy, Spears, etc. making big contributions. He might've been able to dig out of that hole to get back to his 6-6 years, but I'll never get over the KSU debacle and the ISU hardhat at WVU. Cringy.

but god damn was i proud (to be ur coach)

• Useful
Reactions: harimad and RedDog

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Love seeing the offers from the service academies and ivy league schools along with offers from places like TTech and Houston. You have to think you've got a "culture" guy here that has the makings of someone that doesn't create much buzz at signing day but eventually has a big impact on the program.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Rhoads was a step for ISU football that got us Campbell and staff at the right time. He didn't win enough here, but he loved ISU and coached us through the darkest days of realignment so I won't bash him now.
The fact that this post has over 60 other posters (and counting) giving it a positive rating should tell some people that they need to let the CPR thing go.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
The fact that this post has over 60 other posters (and counting) giving it a positive rating should tell some people that they need to let the CPR thing go.

But making stupid old tired worn-out jokes is so much more fun!

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Rhoads was a cheerleader that brought some good publicity to the program. For the first 2 or so seasons, guys played hard for him. His downfall was that he wasn't a very good recruiter, chose his staff poorly (over all) and he couldn't develop kids.

You are overlooking the effects of Big 12 uncertainty might have had on recruiting.

Campbell is a better coach and recruiter and there is no doubt in my mind. Keep in mind that Rhoads inherited a team that had lost 10 games in a row. And in his first year took that 10 game losing streak team to a bowl game Win in the very first year. Rhoads recruited some decent players. Probably the 2 greatest Cyclone Receivers Ever. Hakeem Butler and Lazard. But Campbell recruits have depth and quality in their classes. And Rhoads was never able to do that. Plus Coaching Staff continuity is key. Rhoads was average game coach but was able to pull some tricks in the earlier years. Chizik sucked as a game coach.

Campbell is great. But Rhoads was not the abysmal failure that some think. Everyone fades in comparison to Campbell. But Chizik was a terrible football coach. Rhoads team blew leads against Okie State and K-State that sealed his fate. Both losses attributed to poor coaching decisions IMO. Rhoads was deservedly fired. Campbell utilized many of Rhoads players who were instrumental in our success. Could last years team have won without Willie Harvey, Brian Peavey, Hakeem Butler, Julian Good Jones, Brice Meeker, Knee Nwangwu, Braxton Lewis, Marcel Spears, etc.? Some pretty key pieces were Rhoads recruits. Rhoads was not a complete failure. Campbell is just so much better at everything.

cyfan21

Aug 24, 2010
Davenport
You are overlooking the effects of Big 12 uncertainty might have had on recruiting.

Campbell is a better coach and recruiter and there is no doubt in my mind. Keep in mind that Rhoads inherited a team that had lost 10 games in a row. And in his first year took that 10 game losing streak team to a bowl game Win in the very first year. Rhoads recruited some decent players. Probably the 2 greatest Cyclone Receivers Ever. Hakeem Butler and Lazard. But Campbell recruits have depth and quality in their classes. And Rhoads was never able to do that. Plus Coaching Staff continuity is key. Rhoads was average game coach but was able to pull some tricks in the earlier years. Chizik sucked as a game coach.

Campbell is great. But Rhoads was not the abysmal failure that some think. Everyone fades in comparison to Campbell. But Chizik was a terrible football coach. Rhoads team blew leads against Okie State and K-State that sealed his fate. Both losses attributed to poor coaching decisions IMO. Rhoads was deservedly fired. Campbell utilized many of Rhoads players who were instrumental in our success. Could last years team have won without Willie Harvey, Brian Peavey, Hakeem Butler, Julian Good Jones, Brice Meeker, Knee Nwangwu, Braxton Lewis, Marcel Spears, etc.? Some pretty key pieces were Rhoads recruits. Rhoads was not a complete failure. Campbell is just so much better at everything.
He beat North Dakota State in his first year too. Which I believe was the last time North Dakota State was beaten by a FBS school if I'm not mistaken.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
He beat North Dakota State in his first year too. Which I believe was the last time North Dakota State was beaten by a FBS school if I'm not mistaken.
Them beating Iowa like they did was amazing. Iowa fans bashed ISU so much for losing to them the year before and then followed that up with the same....then came the stupidity again

• Agree
Reactions: The_Architect