Manziel Gesture

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
1. You don't know how football works if you think Manziel will have a successful career. The only reason Manziel will ever start a football game is to make money from the fans, not to win.

2. I'm so glad Manziel is in Cleveland and nowhere else. If there was one place where I had to send the ********* of all role models, it would be Cleveland, because those kids already have horrible lives.

3. I wish nothing but failure for him. He thinks he's all that. You think he really cares that he was late to a meeting? You think he really cares that people are calling him out for flipping the bird? Seriously, in the NFL, I would take Steele Jantz or any former Hawk QB over Johnny Manziel. They may not be as talented as Manziel, but at least they won't bring embarrassment to the organization.

Manziel may be the anti-Tebow, but he's taking the same course as Tebow. Media acts like he's all they got for one, maybe two years, then realize he's a pile of crap on the field, he gets cut.

Unlike Tebow, he will announce at the age of 25 that he's bankrupt because he spent all his moneys on strippers and blow.

This will never happen. His family is oil money rich. And it's Texas oil money, not North Dakota. His parents are worth $50 million.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Unlike Tebow, he will announce at the age of 25 that he's bankrupt because he spent all his moneys on strippers and blow.

This will never happen. His family is oil money rich. And it's Texas oil money, not North Dakota. His parents are worth $50 million.

With the Texas oil money in his pedigree, the issue won't be keeping JM out of debt, it will be keeping him alive...

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
1. You don't know how football works if you think Manziel will have a successful career. The only reason Manziel will ever start a football game is to make money from the fans, not to win.

2. I'm so glad Manziel is in Cleveland and nowhere else. If there was one place where I had to send the ********* of all role models, it would be Cleveland, because those kids already have horrible lives.

3. I wish nothing but failure for him. He thinks he's all that. You think he really cares that he was late to a meeting? You think he really cares that people are calling him out for flipping the bird? Seriously, in the NFL, I would take Steele Jantz or any former Hawk QB over Johnny Manziel. They may not be as talented as Manziel, but at least they won't bring embarrassment to the organization.

Manziel may be the anti-Tebow, but he's taking the same course as Tebow. Media acts like he's all they got for one, maybe two years, then realize he's a pile of crap on the field, he gets cut.

Lol, the ********* of all role models"? You realize there are some actual criminals in the NFL right, people that have done things that have actually hurt other people. This guy parties too much and flipped off a bench. Who the **** cares?

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
He flipped someone off, get over it. In a league where you don't have to look to far to find a violent criminal, let's not get too carried away in demonizing Manziel. He parties and flipped someone off during a game and he's the "biggest jerk possible?" How about Ray Rice, he knocked out his wife. Dante Stallworth and Josh Brent got drunk, drove and killed someone. Aaron Hernandez apparently murdered several people. But let's go after the dude he flipped off a bench.

He's an immature punk jerk. He's not a criminal. As for Ray Rice - couldn't be more disgusted.

It's not just a finger - it's his whole body of "work" over the years that shows he perhaps has in inherent character flaw.

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
Lol, the ********* of all role models"? You realize there are some actual criminals in the NFL right, people that have done things that have actually hurt other people. This guy parties too much and flipped off a bench. Who the **** cares?

Apparently everybody.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I find it hypocritical that most on this board thought it was funny when Melvin did this at the BYU game, but you are all saying Johnny Football is immature and a punk for doing the same thing.
It's just the finger, it is not a big deal.

Not really. Of course, in and of itself it is not a big deal. But Manizel knows that he is going to be watched like a hawk. He knows the reputation he brings to the NFL, whether it is deserved or undeserved. He should be smart enough to avoid stuff like that.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I'm sure a seasoned vet is going to gladly write a check for a late hit on him.

ThurgoodMarshal

Jul 18, 2011
Ankeny, IA
That's why I wish he wasn't on the browns. I want to watch him fail, but I'm also a brown's fan so that would hurt my favorite team

You and me are both in the same boat, man. Although, I can't remember a year that I've seen more Browns coverage than this in the mainstream media. Hoyer is my dude though and I fully expect him to start all year unless he gets injured again or starts the season off as a catastrophic failure.

Clone1138

Apr 18, 2013
Central Iowa
I wish there was more of it, sportsmanship is about the least fun aspect of sports. Drop the act and give me more late 80's Miami shenanigans and I'd be the happiest sports fan alive.

^This. Charles Barkley once said that "he isn't a role model." I'm not looking toward professional athletes for life lessons, I look to them to be entertained. Is Manziel a ******-canoe? Probably. But I find him entertaining. Likewise with someone like Marshall Henderson. I could care less about sportsmanship. Save that for little league baseball games.

When Richard Sherman had that rant at the end of the Seattle/SF game last season I thought that was one of the best moments of the year. It was real, it was unexpected and it was entertaining. We need more of this, not less.

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE
^This. Charles Barkley once said that "he isn't a role model." I'm not looking toward professional athletes for life lessons, I look to them to be entertained. Is Manziel a ******-canoe? Probably. But I find him entertaining. Likewise with someone like Marshall Henderson. I could care less about sportsmanship. Save that for little league baseball games.

When Richard Sherman had that rant at the end of the Seattle/SF game last season I thought that was one of the best moments of the year. It was real, it was unexpected and it was entertaining. We need more of this, not less.
I hate when athletes/celebrities say this. You may not want to be a role model, but it comes with the territory. They have a a job that most people can only dream of. If they don't want to be a role model, there are plenty of other jobs for them and plenty of people who would love just an opportunity to be in the position they are in.

cyowan

Feb 7, 2013
Ames, IA
I love Johnny Football in all of his bird-flipping, model-banging, giant-inflatable-goose-riding glory. The guy can be a blast to watch and what's wrong with a little personality on and off the field? It's good for football.

I'd bet his teammates, coaches, owner, and family would disagree, even if they won't say it publicly. If I'm any of those, or a fan of Cleveland, he's not the guy I want representing me or my team.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

What was so great about Sherman's rant? Pretty much anybody can go off on a rant or flip the bird in public. When I used to take customer service calls, I'd get one rant an hour that put Sherman's rant to shame.

To me, the NFL is entertaining because the players can do athletic things that I can't. Ranting, cussing, flipping the bird, acting like an arsehole, etc. are things I can see anywhere. It seems that something I can see during the mundane course of life doesn't really qualify as entertainment.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
His ego will bring down his football career just like it did a lot of the other big ego athletes

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'd bet his teammates, coaches, owner, and family would disagree, even if they won't say it publicly. If I'm any of those, or a fan of Cleveland, he's not the guy I want representing me or my team.

Please, he's bringing more interest to the Browns than they have ever had. What is this "representing my team" stuff? Do you really think there are Browns fans that are going to say "Well, I don't stand for this bird-flipping, so I'm going to become a Packers fan." If anything he's drawing new fans to the Browns and the teammates, coaches and owner love that. Case in point, we are talking about something that happened in a PRESEASON game.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006

When Richard Sherman had that rant at the end of the Seattle/SF game last season I thought that was one of the best moments of the year. It was real, it was unexpected and it was entertaining. We need more of this, not less.[/QUOTE]

You honestly want more athletes acting like arrogant jerks? Wow...

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
His ego will bring down his football career just like it did a lot of the other big ego athletes
Yeah, if there's one profession where there's just no room for people with big egos it's professional sports.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Please, he's bringing more interest to the Browns than they have ever had. What is this "representing my team" stuff? Do you really think there are Browns fans that are going to say "Well, I don't stand for this bird-flipping, so I'm going to become a Packers fan." If anything he's drawing new fans to the Browns and the teammates, coaches and owner love that. Case in point, we are talking about something that happened in a PRESEASON game.

But this preseason game was being talked about before he flipped the bird.

I think he's athletic and enough of a story already without the antics. The antics distract from the real story, which is whether or not he's ready to start for the Browns. If anything I think all this stuff hurts his chances if he and Hoyer are more or less even to this point.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
What was so great about Sherman's rant? Pretty much anybody can go off on a rant or flip the bird in public. When I used to take customer service calls, I'd get one rant an hour that put Sherman's rant to shame.

To me, the NFL is entertaining because the players can do athletic things that I can't. Ranting, cussing, flipping the bird, acting like an arsehole, etc. are things I can see anywhere. It seems that something I can see during the mundane course of life doesn't really qualify as entertainment.

Sounds like a case is being made to revive Extreme Championship Wrestling. Cuss, fight,flip the bird, nudity, etc.

When I lived in Dallas the coverage of TO almost wrecked the game of football for me. If people want entertainment like that then turn on the Kardashians

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
When I lived in Dallas the coverage of TO almost wrecked the game of football for me. If people want entertainment like that then turn on the Kardashians

Yeah, I hear that. Exit TO and enter Dez Bryant. At least things seem low key with him so far this year...

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
But this preseason game was being talked about before he flipped the bird.

I think he's athletic and enough of a story already without the antics. The antics distract from the real story, which is whether or not he's ready to start for the Browns. If anything I think all this stuff hurts his chances if he and Hoyer are more or less even to this point.
I'm not sure anyone cares about who the Browns starting quarterback is going to be.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron