Manziel Gesture

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I love Johnny Football in all of his bird-flipping, model-banging, giant-inflatable-goose-riding glory. The guy can be a blast to watch and what's wrong with a little personality on and off the field? It's good for football.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I love Johnny Football in all of his bird-flipping, model-banging, giant-inflatable-goose-riding glory. The guy can be a blast to watch and what's wrong with a little personality on and off the field? It's good for football.

I'm okay with a little personality, as long as it isn't that of an obnoxious d@ouchebag.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

It has to be good football before it can be good FOR football.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

Ok, I will more narrowly tailor my statement: it's good for my own personal enjoyment of football because I enjoy him in a league where "personality" is often punished.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Anyone else catch Jonny M's gesture to the Redskins bench at 2:28 in the 3rd. I wonder if a fine is headed his way....

Another in the long line of reasons I wouldn't have drafted him. You can take the punk off the farm, but you can't take the punk out of punk. Ryan Leaf would be a GREAT mentor - or at least give him some tips on how to be the biggest jerk possible.

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
I can't believe the animal rights people haven't picked up on the fact that the "Manziel Rooster" was bird his granddaddy specifically bred for cockfighting.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Another in the long line of reasons I wouldn't have drafted him. You can take the punk off the farm, but you can't take the punk out of punk. Ryan Leaf would be a GREAT mentor - or at least give him some tips on how to be the biggest jerk possible.

He flipped someone off, get over it. In a league where you don't have to look to far to find a violent criminal, let's not get too carried away in demonizing Manziel. He parties and flipped someone off during a game and he's the "biggest jerk possible?" How about Ray Rice, he knocked out his wife. Dante Stallworth and Josh Brent got drunk, drove and killed someone. Aaron Hernandez apparently murdered several people. But let's go after the dude he flipped off a bench.

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
He flipped someone off, get over it. In a league where you don't have to look to far to find a violent criminal, let's not get too carried away in demonizing Manziel. He parties and flipped someone off during a game and he's the "biggest jerk possible?" How about Ray Rice, he knocked out his wife. Dante Stallworth and Josh Brent got drunk, drove and killed someone. Aaron Hernandez apparently murdered several people. But let's go after the dude he flipped off a bench.
I didn't see anyone here say those guys you mentioned were good guys.

My problem with him is that he's being selfish by creating distractions for the team and putting a target on his back for opposing players. If he really thinks he's their best chance to win then he shouldn't be flipping the opposing team the bird which is essentially asking to get knocked the **** out.

CycloneGB

Jul 20, 2010

This is the biggest issue for me. It's not that he's doing all this crap on and off the field. That is the fault of the media for covering his every move. But he hasn't proven a single thing yet in the NFL. There is literally nothing to warrant the coverage that he's getting at this point. If he was a MVP candidate on a team headed into the playoffs and he's flipping people off and talking to hookers on his money phone THAT would be awesome for football as far as I'm concerned. People love him or hate him type of thing.. But the fact that he's an absolute ZERO at this point as far as the NFL is concerned means the media just has to grasp at straws to keep him relevant.

I agree with this totally too. But the media, namely ESPN, is squarely to blame. It's a lot easier for the heads to talk about how childish Manziel is for flipping the bird and how that will translate into him never being a Hall of Famer, than it is to talk about those other guys.

IASTATE4LIFE

Apr 22, 2010
I find it hypocritical that most on this board thought it was funny when Melvin did this at the BYU game, but you are all saying Johnny Football is immature and a punk for doing the same thing.
It's just the finger, it is not a big deal.

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
I find it hypocritical that most on this board thought it was funny when Melvin did this at the BYU game, but you are all saying Johnny Football is immature and a punk for doing the same thing.

Stupid kid being a stupid kid....in both cases

One stupid kid knows everything he does will be front page news across the globe, does it anyway.

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
Difference is we all know Melvin is a great citizen off the court while Manziel is still a punk.

I don't think this is about the finger... I think it's about his personality as a whole.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

It's not a big deal, but the little incidents are certainly starting to pile up. The Browns management has to be sweating bullets now. If he's going to get rattled to the point of dishing out obscene gestures in a meaningless preseason game, how is he going to handle it when the pressure ratchets up in the regular season?

I get that it's early in his career but a pattern of immaturity is emerging. How many "no big deals" will there be before a "very big deal" comes along?