Manziel Gesture

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
I hate when athletes/celebrities say this. You may not want to be a role model, but it comes with the territory. They have a a job that most people can only dream of. If they don't want to be a role model, there are plenty of other jobs for them and plenty of people who would love just an opportunity to be in the position they are in.

This is exactly how I feel as well.

Additionally, most of us here are adults and can differentiate between what is good and bad behavior and can filter accordingly. Unfortunately, children are very impressionable and have a harder time differentiating and picking the right role models. Even with the right upbringing, don't think for a second that they are not attracted to what the media portrays as being idols/role models/athletes, etc. Think of all the things that kids see out there and then we wonder why kids are out there robbing cigars from convenience stores and assaulting clerks.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames

Additionally, most of us here are adults and can differentiate between what is good and bad behavior and can filter accordingly. Unfortunately, children are very impressionable and have a harder time differentiating and picking the right role models. Even with the right upbringing, don't think for a second that they are not attracted to what the media portrays as being idols/role models/athletes, etc. Think of all the things that kids see out there and then we wonder why kids are out there robbing cigars from convenience stores and assaulting clerks.
You heard it here first, Johnny Manziel is responsible for the riots in Ferguson, MO.

cyowan

Feb 7, 2013
Ames, IA
Please, he's bringing more interest to the Browns than they have ever had. What is this "representing my team" stuff? Do you really think there are Browns fans that are going to say "Well, I don't stand for this bird-flipping, so I'm going to become a Packers fan." If anything he's drawing new fans to the Browns and the teammates, coaches and owner love that. Case in point, we are talking about something that happened in a PRESEASON game.

Actually, I bet there are fans that have said something along those lines, or are at least upset that he's on their team. Call me crazy, but I'd rather have a guy like Andrew Luck than the side show this guy is bringing to town. I guarantee his teammates just see it as a distraction they'd rather not deal with.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Sounds like a case is being made to revive Extreme Championship Wrestling. Cuss, fight,flip the bird, nudity, etc.

When I lived in Dallas the coverage of TO almost wrecked the game of football for me. If people want entertainment like that then turn on the Kardashians

I bet he'd be a stud in the XFL, anybody remember that circus??

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I find it hypocritical that most on this board thought it was funny when Melvin did this at the BYU game, but you are all saying Johnny Football is immature and a punk for doing the same thing.
It's just the finger, it is not a big deal.

1. It wasn't mature when Melvin did it, and he apologized. I really don't see this turd apologizing for anything ever. Because "Hey, Johnny Football!"

2. I'm pretty sure that all of the reports were that the BYU fans were dropping the n-bomb on Melvin. That's not exactly the same as telling someone it "ain't college anymore." One of those deserves a little more of a reaction.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Lol, the ********* of all role models"? You realize there are some actual criminals in the NFL right, people that have done things that have actually hurt other people. This guy parties too much and flipped off a bench. Who the **** cares?

Since February 24th, 2013, Desmond Bryant, Quinten Groves, Armonty Bryant, Ausar Walcatt, Josh Gordon and Davone Bess have been arrested while under contract with the Cleveland Browns.

How many of those players would you consider role models to kids? How many kids grow up wanting to be Desmond Bryant? Quinten Groves? Ausar Walcatt? How many kids have even heard of these people?

Now go ahead and name me FAMOUS NFL players that are BAD role models. I'll give you Aaron Hernandez, maybe Ray Rice. Then there's Johnny Manziel.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009

Yeah, that's it. Because Johnny Football is a cocky athlete.

You really swung and missed on that one.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Since February 24th, 2013, Desmond Bryant, Quinten Groves, Armonty Bryant, Ausar Walcatt, Josh Gordon and Davone Bess have been arrested while under contract with the Cleveland Browns.

How many of those players would you consider role models to kids? How many kids grow up wanting to be Desmond Bryant? Quinten Groves? Ausar Walcatt? How many kids have even heard of these people?

Now go ahead and name me FAMOUS NFL players that are BAD role models. I'll give you Aaron Hernandez, maybe Ray Rice. Then there's Johnny Manziel.

Josh Gordon could be a role model to kids in Colorado and Washington. "Hey man, if he can smoke weed and be a pro football player then so can I."

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area

Lawrence Taylor...coke head, slept with an underage prostitute and there's more, but I think that hits the mark.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Yeah, that's it. Because Johnny Football is a cocky athlete.

You really swung and missed on that one.

I meant having criminals and people of low moral standards as role models in general, not specifically Manziel. Idolize a criminal, become a criminal. Not that hard to understand, is it?

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I would argue that I'd prefer to see a higher caliber person in all aspects of life. Politics, sports, business, media, etc.

501Clone

Mar 10, 2010
Ames, IA
LOL to this thread being over 100 posts... He flipped off the opposing team. So what? My 2 year old niece does that all the time. No big deal.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
The Manziel stuff, as SVP put it today, are just "Twitter problems". They aren't real issues, just things that people like to get worked up about on Twitter and message boards because that's what people do on Twitter and message boards. His biggest issue so far has been illegally autographing something, that's it. He's a rich and famous kid who likes to party when he has time off, good for him, live it up.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
I meant having criminals and people of low moral standards as role models in general, not specifically Manziel. Idolize a criminal, become a criminal. Not that hard to understand, is it?

I'm not going to go any further with this because I don't post in the cave anymore and that is the only direction this could go. Lets just say that a kid committing a strong arm robbery for a box of cigars at a convenience store is not doing that because there are a few thugs and criminals in the NFL.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
LOL to this thread being over 100 posts... He flipped off the opposing team. So what? My 2 year old niece does that all the time. No big deal.

...Really? :eek: