KU defense

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
The thing is that AA is at about 50% completions. Out of those 50% incomplete passes, about 60% are bad throws and the other 40% are drops. AA is throwing a catchable ball about 70% of the time. This probaby isn't enough, but it's not god awful either.

AA needs to be more effective, but some people on this board act like he can't get out of bed w/out ******** his pants. As usual, a loss brings out irrationality on all sides: the people who act like he's blameless and the people who act like he's worthless.

It's clear the guy has the physical tools to make it work in this offense, but something isn't fully clicking in his understanding/execution of it. I don't know what that is, but I hope the coaches (and him) get it figured out soon.

Unfortunately, the fans have been fairly irrational on both sides about Arnaud after wins as well...

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Supposedly? The stats don't lie.

You're right. 53% 6-4 ratio, all Ints in one game. 4.6 yards a carry, 64 yard/game rushing, 5 Tds for 11 tds total. On pace for 30 Tds. Also led late 4th quarter TD drive against KSU to put us in a position to force overtime. I'll take it.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Based on?

At any rate, let the mayhem commence!

- We still want to see Tiller play QB because AA is not getting it done
- We already had a QB play WR and then quit the team
- But, what about Flynn? He converted and was great for us
- When is Bo going to start at running back?

The fact that he is currently taking snaps in practice as a WR and staying after practice running routes.

I know this to be 100% fact! :wink:

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
The fact that he is currently taking snaps in practice as a WR and staying after practice running routes.

I know this to be 100% fact! :wink:

I was more ribbing ya, as I know you have some sources.

This will be interesting, as I noted above. I'm totally fine with it as it gets another athlete on the field in place of guys that are not doing their jobs to date.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
I was more ribbing ya, as I know you have some sources.

This will be interesting, as I noted above. I'm totally fine with it as it gets another athlete on the field in place of guys that are not doing their jobs to date.

Yeah I was unsure how I felt at first but we are banged up at WR and our horses are not performing to date. Tiller has good size and IMO will be the fastest WR we have. I hope he gets some PT

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
You're right. 53% 6-4 ratio, all Ints in one game. 4.6 yards a carry, 64 yard/game rushing, 5 Tds for 11 tds total. On pace for 30 Tds. Also led late 4th quarter TD drive against KSU to put us in a position to force overtime. I'll take it.

I like what Austen does for us in the running department. It is the passing I'm picking on and it is the passing that is making up one-dimensional and costing us games.

Attached are the latest Big XII QB stats. Everyone on this board seems to be in agreement that Cody Hawkins is terrible. Cody is putting up my yards per game that Austen and their completion percentage in nearly identical.

Again, Austen's running ability is currently second to none in the conference. Passing is the worst in the conference.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Tiller at WR?

How many WRs do we already have on this team? Williams, Darks, Johnson, Hamilton are all supposed to be studs and have proven to be pretty good, so why can't we just throw it to them?

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
there is a beer called fat bastard.the coach at ku is a fat bastard!!!!!!it is time for us to kick the fat bastard's arse.
remember that that sob stole 2 of our recruits last year in green form san antonio madison and breshears from denton,texas. it is payback time-get behind our team and austen arnaud and we can whip ol fat arse at ku jaysquawk
game this weekend.

temperflare

Jul 9, 2007
Bondurant
Ahh...

You know, in my first season as an ISU fan Terry Allen was the head coach and we throttled KU to the tune of 42-3 or something like that.

It was a cold, cold day.

I miss those days.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Tiller at WR?

How many WRs do we already have on this team? Williams, Darks, Johnson, Hamilton are all supposed to be studs and have proven to be pretty good, so why can't we just throw it to them?

The only people who think those guys are studs are Iowa State fans. Our WR's are well below average in college football

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
there is a beer called fat bastard.the coach at ku is a fat bastard!!!!!!it is time for us to kick the fat bastard's arse.
remember that that sob stole 2 of our recruits last year in green form san antonio madison and breshears from denton,texas. it is payback time-get behind our team and austen arnaud and we can whip ol fat arse at ku jaysquawk
game this weekend.

Please tell me you are not older than nine.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
The only people who think those guys are studs are Iowa State fans. Our WR's are well below average in college football

This. Even my favorite guy Hamilton has not been consistent, as he virtually disappeared last season. The 2 sophomores have not proven to be studs. Darks had a great freshman season but hasn't done a thing in '09.

We have 2 reliable guys at receiver right now (Hamilton, J.Williams)...that's it.

Jammin’

Jul 18, 2009
Ames-Mia-Atx
I like the idea of Jerome Tiller playing wide receiver sometime. I'd think him and Austen could get on the same page for pre reading the defense. Something the receivers and Austen are still learning.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Blind defense? I have a lot of accurate defense for AA. The two late drives he led us on to give us the opportunity for overtime. The fact he only threw four terrible balls saturday when most of you guys act like every other throw was terrible. How about the fact that he runs the ball hard and creates a lot of problems for the defense when he has the ability to take off and get first downs. Has he thrown it perfect this year? No, but he leads this team and makes a lot of plays. Every time he has gotten the ball in his hand late in a game with a game on the line, he has done his part. He single handedly kept us in the TA&M game. It's the same guy. He just needs to get a rhythm. It doesn't look like any of our offense has a rhythm. Once they hit that things should improve.

IMO he only threw four bad balls because he didn't throw very many total. It's obvious that the OC is avoiding throwing the ball due to poor QB play (and WR as well). I guarantee this is not the offense that he'd like to run. I've seen AA make the thows that he is routinely missing right now, so my blame is mostly for the OC in screwing with his delivery and mechanics. But, it's pretty obvious that unless AA has the light bulb come on and really improves, ISU is going to end up 3-9 after starting 3-1.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
IMO he only threw four bad balls because he didn't throw very many total. It's obvious that the OC is avoiding throwing the ball due to poor QB play (and WR as well).
Hilarious. A game or two ago people were ragging on Herman because he was passing the ball so much when we were running so well...:yes:

swammi

May 10, 2009
Apollo Beach, Florida
The thing is that AA is at about 50% completions. Out of those 50% incomplete passes, about 60% are bad throws and the other 40% are drops. AA is throwing a catchable ball about 70% of the time. This probaby isn't enough, but it's not god awful either.

AA needs to be more effective, but some people on this board act like he can't get out of bed w/out ******** his pants. As usual, a loss brings out irrationality on all sides: the people who act like he's blameless and the people who act like he's worthless.

It's clear the guy has the physical tools to make it work in this offense, but something isn't fully clicking in his understanding/execution of it. I don't know what that is, but I hope the coaches (and him) get it figured out soon.

Throwing the ball into the ground 2-3 times per game and behind receivers 2-3 times per game is pretty bad. A catchable ball 70% of the time is not good. Austen has all the tools and a great attitude plus he is a terrific rusher and runs the run option VERY well. But his execution in the passing game is poor. Facts are facts. I still think he gives us the best chance to win. What that translates to is less than an optimum chance for us to win given our talent level. Which is what we are seeing thusfar. and we haven't even metioned the 40% of our receiveing corps that is not effective. So we have 60% of our receivers getting a catchable ball 70% of the time. P - U. I don't know why all this is happening, but that it is happening and it is pretty bad is just not debatable.