KU defense

bfross

Apr 10, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Kansas is ranked 3rd nationally in rush defense and 98th in pass defense. Their opponents average out as the 81st best rushing offenses and 51st best passing offenses. KU's rush D looks to be a little inflated by the level of competition and by the same comparison, their pass D looks to be vulnerable.

Would you assume KU will load up on stopping the run and take their chances with the pass seeing film on us, or do they try and take away any passing game and give up the run?

Their D is #6 nationally in sacks, but our line has only given up 1 sack all year and we lead the nation in that category (that number is a little skewed by what we do on offense, but it is still a great statistic to have). I am pretty confident that our O line will be able to control the line of scrimmage, but protection hasn't been our problem in the passing game.

This KU pass D is by far and away the worst competition we have had thus far in the season. Who's going to come out on top of this battle? Even if our D can't stop KU's potent attack (my goal is simply to slow them down a little), I will be happy if the O really clicks this week.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
The offense all comes down to the QB, and so far AA has not been good, especially on the routine throws. Also, the exchanges between AA and Swartz(sp) were not good at all and probably cost us some yards even though there were no fumbles. They were just very slow and awkward.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
How did I know the first post would be about how awful our QB supposedly is.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
yeah I agree that AA hasnt been the best. AA can throw to the right but it seems like most throws to the left, take a one bounce to the receiver.

I know that TH sez that AA's mechanics and footwork are faulty and I tend to agree with that assessment by the OC.

Ken Miller kxno...Things at Iowa State arent gonna get any better until that dark cloud goes back to Wisconsin..

I Agree Agree Agreee..............

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
How did I know the first post would be about how awful our QB supposedly is.

Who called him awful here? The blind defense of AA is getting old. He's a QB with all the physical tools and one I believe in, but has not played well thus far in '09. Fact.

Some of you guys stew over other people being accurately critical of our team way too much. Anyway...

Regarding the KU defense - I think we should put some points up on them as long as our defense can get off the field now and then. This is a chance, should ARob be healthy, for our offense to show something. I still think it's unlikely we win, unless we do a near 180 on offense from previous games and our defense is very opportunistic.

The match-ups on defense just are not good for us and our offense hasn't shown ability to be consistent yet.

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
KU's numbers are this way because they have had big leads and their opponents abandon the run and do nothing but pass. Which also why their sack numbers are up when you know the other team is going to do nothing but pass it is easier to tee off on the QB. KU's defensive numbers are a little miss leading.

swammi

May 10, 2009
Apollo Beach, Florida
I think Mangino will deploy his D in a pretty straight up fashion. Covering the whole field figuring his overall quality of players is better than ours and we have no real threats at WR that warrant extra attention. What's going to kill us is his O. Reising is good and will be very, very hard to stop. Austen was sharp in this game last year and we got a big lead but could not hold it. If we had coach Burnham last year, we may have won this one. Our passing offense at this time makes me think we will lose by 2 TD's.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Who called him awful here? The blind defense of AA is getting old. He's a QB with all the physical tools and one I believe in, but has not played well thus far in '09. Fact.

Some of you guys stew over other people being accurately critical of our team way too much. Anyway...

Regarding the KU defense - I think we should put some points up on them as long as our defense can get off the field now and then. This is a chance, should ARob be healthy, for our offense to show something. I still think it's unlikely we win, unless we do a near 180 on offense from previous games and our defense is very opportunistic.

The match-ups on defense just are not good for us and our offense hasn't shown ability to be consistent yet.

Blind defense? I have a lot of accurate defense for AA. The two late drives he led us on to give us the opportunity for overtime. The fact he only threw four terrible balls saturday when most of you guys act like every other throw was terrible. How about the fact that he runs the ball hard and creates a lot of problems for the defense when he has the ability to take off and get first downs. Has he thrown it perfect this year? No, but he leads this team and makes a lot of plays. Every time he has gotten the ball in his hand late in a game with a game on the line, he has done his part. He single handedly kept us in the TA&M game. It's the same guy. He just needs to get a rhythm. It doesn't look like any of our offense has a rhythm. Once they hit that things should improve.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
The thing is that AA is at about 50% completions. Out of those 50% incomplete passes, about 60% are bad throws and the other 40% are drops. AA is throwing a catchable ball about 70% of the time. This probaby isn't enough, but it's not god awful either.

AA needs to be more effective, but some people on this board act like he can't get out of bed w/out ******** his pants. As usual, a loss brings out irrationality on all sides: the people who act like he's blameless and the people who act like he's worthless.

It's clear the guy has the physical tools to make it work in this offense, but something isn't fully clicking in his understanding/execution of it. I don't know what that is, but I hope the coaches (and him) get it figured out soon.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Blind defense? I have a lot of accurate defense for AA. The two late drives he led us on to give us the opportunity for overtime. The fact he only threw four terrible balls saturday when most of you guys act like every other throw was terrible. How about the fact that he runs the ball hard and creates a lot of problems for the defense when he has the ability to take off and get first downs. Has he thrown it perfect this year? No, but he leads this team and makes a lot of plays. Every time he has gotten the ball in his hand late in a game with a game on the line, he has done his part. He single handedly kept us in the TA&M game. It's the same guy. He just needs to get a rhythm. It doesn't look like any of our offense has a rhythm. Once they hit that things should improve.

On some of your items, you are preaching to the choir, read my posts on AA - I'm with you on most of it. But it's a fact he could and should be playing a lot better and the person you went off on regarding his comment was not wrong at all.

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
KU's defense has been a disappointment. But I guess it shouldn't have been because it was the same bad defense last year. A lot of us KU fans thought it would be better because almost everybody returned and we have some young talent that should help. But the first 3.5 games looked just like last year. The second half of the Mississippi State game was the best half of defense I've seen from a KU team in a long, long time. But the offense was as bad as I've seen it during that same time so who knows what's going to happen this Saturday. I'm looking for KU to have a break-out game because they seem due, but so does ISU's offense. Could be an interesting game.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
KU's defense has been a disappointment. But I guess it shouldn't have been because it was the same bad defense last year. A lot of us KU fans thought it would be better because almost everybody returned and we have some young talent that should help. But the first 3.5 games looked just like last year. The second half of the Mississippi State game was the best half of defense I've seen from a KU team in a long, long time. But the offense was as bad as I've seen it during that same time so who knows what's going to happen this Saturday. I'm looking for KU to have a break-out game because they seem due, but so does ISU's offense. Could be an interesting game.

You mean Southern Miss? Didn't they score 14 points in the third quarter?

I don't think you'll have to worry much about ISU's offense. Without A-Rob our running game will be much less dynamic, and we haven't seen a complete game from the passing unit yet this year, so I'm afraid of what might result if we are forced to throw all day.

My guess is KU by 3 TDs.

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny

Nice Point...Certainly a lot of intangles to think about.
- How does this ISU team mentally battle back from KSU? Other's ISU teams would get down 21-0 in the 1st quarter. How does CPR version of the clones react? Probably the biggest story line of the week for me.
- How does the week off effect KU? Not always a plus to take a week off, especially when winning.
- Outside of Southern Miss, who took KU deep into the 4th quarter in Lawrence, this will be best team KU has faced...to this date mind you.
- Will AA find his stride in the new offense?
- Will Arob be anything this week?

nice story lines to follow at least

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Look for Tiller to maybe get some PT at WR

Based on?

At any rate, let the mayhem commence!

- We still want to see Tiller play QB because AA is not getting it done
- We already had a QB play WR and then quit the team
- But, what about Flynn? He converted and was great for us
- When is Bo going to start at running back?

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I like the idea of putting Tiller at WR for a few snaps to see how he does. He seems to have the wheels to be a big playmaker and we need something to spark our offense. Can't sit anyone who has the chance of breaking one for us, even if it is our back-up QB.

mizouse87

Aug 3, 2006
Des Moines
Based on?

At any rate, let the mayhem commence!

- We still want to see Tiller play QB because AA is not getting it done
- We already had a QB play WR and then quit the team
- But, what about Flynn? He converted and was great for us
- When is Bo going to start at running back?

TOO MUCH MAYHEM!!! Stop the madness.

Are we wearing black or white cleats for this game?

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
When KU faced Southern Miss they were on an 8 game win streak and played like a very confident team. Since then they have lost their two best players and went on the road after the KU loss and lost to a team they beat by 56 the year before. Plus KU played at UTEP and won 38-12, the next time UTEP played at home they beat Houston 58-41. Although Duke had a bad loss in their opening game, they bounced back and beat Army 35-19 @ Army and Lost to Virginia Tech by only 8. KU hasn't looked like world beaters but they have taken care of business so far. Now it's Big 12 play and it will be interesting to see how they respond. The Defense has the athletes but they have been out of position quite a bit. Because ISU has a qb that can run the cyclones have a chance to make some plays.

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
When KU faced Southern Miss they were on an 8 game win streak and played like a very confident team. Since then they have lost their two best players and went on the road after the KU loss and lost to a team they beat by 56 the year before. Plus KU played at UTEP and won 38-12, the next time UTEP played at home they beat Houston 58-41. Although Duke had a bad loss in their opening game, they bounced back and beat Army 35-19 @ Army and Lost to Virginia Tech by only 8. KU hasn't looked like world beaters but they have taken care of business so far. Now it's Big 12 play and it will be interesting to see how they respond. The Defense has the athletes but they have been out of position quite a bit. Because ISU has a qb that can run the cyclones have a chance to make some plays.

With all the talk about KU's pass D being a bit suspect...ISU should still pound the ball. In a game like this....ISU needs to shorten it.

Give Reesing and Co multiple possesions, at home, then the outcome is obvious. We just don't have the D to withstand that.

With or without Arob....run the ball. AA, Schwartz and Oline...chew the clock, pick your spots in the pass game, stay in the game late.