Kind of lost in the moment

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
It's the bipolar nature of any message board. Mainstream, common sense views do not generally draw attention and further posts, making oddball posts look more prevalent than they are. Consider post like this the yang to the "ISU=Kentucky" thread's ying.

Are you new here or something?

the internet/message board excuse - that never gets old

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Despite Melvin's tremendous game was the lackadaisical effort from the rest of the team yesterday. I think after the emotionally draining OSU game, you could kind of see it coming against TCU. A few of us in the stands even remarked how they were just going through the motions. Going to need a better effort in Morgantown. I have no doubt they will.

John and Eric were saying it was because we were running so many isos that the motion offense seemed to be not in motion.

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
Even though we were usually up 7-13 points, I felt that the game was never in reach for TCU and if they somehow took the lead our guys would of turned it on and taken care of business. It was also pretty obvious that every other guy on the court was only really looking for Ejim to score and fed him the ball. I remember one play when Niang got the ball in perfect post position but gave it up to Ejim

Gnomeborg

Dec 24, 2008
I wasn't mad by any means, but was reminded of the movie Semi-Pro, when towards the beginning they would make a basket, then celebrate at halfcourt, and you could see the other team behind them getting an easy transition layup. I thought of that towards the end when we were trading buckets.

I was also reminded of that movie when we started throwing up like 50 alley-oops. It was like Melvin's mom came to him in a dream during halftime and taught him the ways of the alley-oop. All that was missing was father Pat.

.... except that instead of us celebrating at half court to let them get easy buckets, we were playing defense and getting called for 10 ticky tacky fouls fouls on 11 trips to defense....

They don't get 21 free throws in the last 9 minutes of that game, TCU isn't even close to 15 in this one.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Despite Melvin's tremendous game was the lackadaisical effort from the rest of the team yesterday. I think after the emotionally draining OSU game, you could kind of see it coming against TCU. A few of us in the stands even remarked how they were just going through the motions. Going to need a better effort in Morgantown. I have no doubt they will.

At the end it just became a game of how many points can we get Melvin. Although it was never a blow out it was also never at the point were TCU was within striking distance either. If Ejim wasn't going on a scoring rampage we probably would have beaten them by a lot more then we did. Instead we had most our team reading the score board and watching replays of Ejim's dunks. I'm not saying I'm upset about this, it looked like the guys were having as much fun as I have seen out of them this season, what I'm saying is that we wont be doing that against teams better then TCU and it definitely will not happen at any time in the post season.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Guarantee TCU hasn't put up more than 40 in a half at all this season.

Well since TCU has a game where they scored 98 I'm going to go out on a limb and say you are wrong.

Yes, the second half defense left something to be desired. However I find it incredibly short sighted to say that 27 assists on 32 buckets and outrebounding a team by 8 is lackadaisical.

EDIT: One more thing. TCU scored 69 in the game. They have scored 69 in 40% of their Big 12 games.

Last edited:

westlbcyclone

Jun 28, 2010
North Liberty
This. Guarantee TCU hasn't put up more than 40 in a half at all this season.

They put up 39 against SMU, 52 against Longwood, 41 against Tulsa, 41 against Tulsa again, 39 at WVU. Also, after rewatching the game twice, it wasn't like they were uncontested shots. A lot of them were with a hand in their face.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I have to change my position after looking at the game stats again. TCU shot a blistering 44.8% from the field in the second half. ISU was clearly playing Ole! defense and just letting them get totally uncontested shots.

All 8 Cyclones who played in this one should be benched against WVU just to send the team a message.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
In the 2nd half, I just felt it was sort of a practice for ISU. I had the feeling they could turn it on at any time and get the lead up to 20 or 25 points if they wanted.

The focus turned to Melvin once he got past 30 I thought. At that point, the guys were just having fun getting him as many points as possible, and still winning the game. I would have liked to seen more minutes for some of the bench so they would be better rested for tonight, but this was about something else. Plus, it is not like they were really getting taxed out there. After the 2nd or 3rd lob/dunk you would have thought TCU would have adjusted somehow, but they sure didn't change much of anything.

It would be nice if the rest of the games on the regular season schedule could be as easy as this one, but they won't be. Hell, I'm pretty sure even TCU figures they can beat ISU in Fort Worth, since they only got beat by 15 at Hilton.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
In the 2nd half, I just felt it was sort of a practice for ISU. I had the feeling they could turn it on at any time and get the lead up to 20 or 25 points if they wanted.
It did feel like a practice. Not in the sense that they were willingly struggling in order to work on something, but that they knew they could get through the game in mid-gear.

Backing off on the focus is not a huge deal and almost expected. We have survived it at home, but it has been an issue at times and I am surprised we did not see more of the bench.

Last edited:

wamfam

Dec 13, 2013

You ALWAYS keep feeding the HOT hand!!!!
What about Kanes 10 assists?????
What about the Cones scoring 32 baskets on 27 assists. That's pretty impressive too!!!

Last edited:

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
This game was a glorified scrimmage at home and our guys knew it. No way they were going to blow it and they took care of business. No need to be alarmed.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
No kidding. Georges gets a foul for being on the same side of the court as the other team. Guy just doesn't get any breaks at all from the refs.

It's because he doesn't give the refs a fist bump like Ejim during the starting line-ups :jimlad:

DiehardClone

Jan 29, 2014
True, it was not one of the team's better games. But they did win and it really wasn't close. These kinds of games always remind me of this from the 2000 NCAA tourney:

MINNEAPOLIS (Ticker) -- Second-seeded Iowa State woke up just in time to shake off stubborn No. 15 Central Connecticut.
Jamaal Tinsley started and finished a 12-0 run after the Cyclones fell into a late tie and collected 26 points in an 88-78 victory over Central Connecticut in a surprisingly close Midwest Region first-round game.
Iowa State advances to meet No. 7 Auburn on Saturday in the second round.

CNNSI.com - 2000 NCAA Men's Tourney - NCAA Basketball Scoreboard: Recap: Central Connecticut at Iowa St. - Thursday March 16, 2000 07:38 PM

Of course the 2001 team also played with fire in the first round and lost to a hotel chain.