Kind of lost in the moment

down2cyz

Jan 11, 2008
Despite Melvin's tremendous game was the lackadaisical effort from the rest of the team yesterday. I think after the emotionally draining OSU game, you could kind of see it coming against TCU. A few of us in the stands even remarked how they were just going through the motions. Going to need a better effort in Morgantown. I have no doubt they will.

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
Despite Melvin's tremendous game was the lackadaisical effort from the rest of the team yesterday. I think after the emotionally draining OSU game, you could kind of see it coming against TCU. A few of us in the stands even remarked how they were just going through the motions. Going to need a better effort in Morgantown. I have no doubt they will.
It was good enough to win by double digits in a conference game....not sure how you could quantify your issue...

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
It's not like the rest of the team was incapable of scoring. It was pretty clear they started feeding Ejim the ball when they themselves could have gotten the points pretty easily.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
The defense was bad in the second half. I'll get over it.

The first 9 games were hell. This was ripe for a letdown game and while things weren't super smooth, the game really never was in doubt.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area

:rolleyes: Great, another one looking for the pot of sh** at the wrong end of the rainbow.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
The reality is there is no way a team can always "get up" and be jacked for every game. The key is to be able to find a way to win against "lesser" opponents even when you're not at 100% "up for the game."

CynadoAlley

Nov 28, 2010
Siouxland
I wasn't mad by any means, but was reminded of the movie Semi-Pro, when towards the beginning they would make a basket, then celebrate at halfcourt, and you could see the other team behind them getting an easy transition layup. I thought of that towards the end when we were trading buckets.

I was also reminded of that movie when we started throwing up like 50 alley-oops. It was like Melvin's mom came to him in a dream during halftime and taught him the ways of the alley-oop. All that was missing was father Pat.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
They seemed to get that 10-13 point lead, and coast from there. The final margin of score was about what I figured it would be.

The game itself just didn't seem to have much energy--it's like that sometimes.

A solid Pitt team had to get through 2 OT's to beat 8-15 Va Tech at home yesterday, so it could've been worse.

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
The other guys were struggling to hit shots, but they still found other ways to contribute. Kane ended up with 10 assists and Georges filled up the stat sheet with 11 points, 6 boards, and 6 assists

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
One thing you will find with a coach who has been in the pros, they know that different players get hot on different nights. This doesn't mean others are lazy. It means they recognize and assist. And they know if the need changes that somebody else can step up. So back off.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Could have been worse, we could have managed to lose the triple OT, and then drop the next game against the 2nd least talented Big 12 team.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
The only game I would say they really played great was Baylor. They have a knack at playing near the level of the competition. Just above their competition, for the most part. Aside from Baylor, what conference game would you say they played great? Maybe @KU? I did not see the OU game in Hilton so perhaps they played well in that one.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I thought that the team was a little flat, but the big thing is that they shot terrible in the second half, except for ME of course. Matt T was 1 for 7 from 3 points and most of those were good shots. If he makes 4 or 5 of those the game is the laugher we expected. Also, not sure what TCU shots from the outside usually, but it seemed like they made a great percentage of 3 pointers in the second half to keep them in the game. I know the defense is not great for ISU, but they did have someone close on most of those shots.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
I think the OP post is crap. I will give you that our defensive effort yesterday was not up to snuff. However, this team, and I repeat TEAM, had 27 assists on 32 buckets. Last I knew, there is no assist stat when you throw it to yourself. Do you realize our PG tandem had 17 assists yesterday (on only 4 turnovers)? I think it is a pretty cool statement on the tightness of this team that here is Deondre, a candidate for 1st string all Big 12 (maybe a lock as Smart self destructs) and potentially All American, and he only takes 4 shots all day, passing up opportunities to score to feed Mel the ball. I am taking nothing away from Mel, but I don't think you have to diss the effort of the rest of the team to build Mel up. He worked his butt off, as the 18 boards show.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron