Friday OT - Weird Interests

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I am super sorry I have been MIA so much for Friday OT lately. If anyone wants to take the reins, shoot me a PM.

Anyway! I am looking for your (or ones you have encountered) interests that are unique or not super standard.

This isn’t super unique, but I love architecture as a concept of art. I subscribe to Architecture Digest to look at beautiful or ugly cantilevers and alcoves. It is fascinating.

What are your interests?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Not really a specific interest, but when there is something major happening in the world, I tend to read voraciously about that topic until I understand it as well as I possibly can. An example would be 9/11. Probably read 25-30 books about the event, the background to the event, the history of related conflict, watched every documentary and news report that I could get my hands on, everything.

I think gaining as full of an understanding as I can helps me process things and lowers my stress level.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Not really a specific interest, but when there is something major happening in the world, I tend to read voraciously about that topic until I understand it as well as I possibly can. An example would be 9/11. Probably read 25-30 books about the event, the background to the event, the history of related conflict, watched every documentary and news report that I could get my hands on, everything.

I think gaining as full of an understanding as I can helps me process things and lowers my stress level.
That is a super useful habit!

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I love to do geography and city population quizzes on hugequiz.com

Enjoy perusing google maps and looking at things like city airport layouts, interstate exchanges, reliving old vacations, looking for new biking/running routes, and any other quirky things.

Any time I watch a movie or show I do a deep dive online about the actors, background, behind the scenes ect.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
People are sometimes surprised I frequent and contribute a significant portion of my charity budget to Botanical Gardens.

Dallas had an insanely good one. Chicago has a few small ones and a large one but they haven’t impressed me as much but I do plan to do more this “season”.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Any time I watch a movie or show I do a deep dive online about the actors, background, behind the scenes ect.

The game at my house is to identify actors and actresses we have seen elsewhere.

For example, the nurse from "Fargo, Season 4" is now starring in "Wicked Little Letters".

Now that I think of it, I like inventing games.

When I was in college, we used to throw darts at the menu on the hall bulletin board to see who could hit the worst food in the dining hall. Cooked Cauliflower was always a winner.

Newest game is "Rate the House" which involves ranking houses we drive by from 1 to 5, with 5 being "I'd live there" and 1 being "Bring a torch".

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I am super sorry I have been MIA so much for Friday OT lately. If anyone wants to take the reins, shoot me a PM.

Anyway! I am looking for your (or ones you have encountered) interests that are unique or not super standard.

This isn’t super unique, but I love architecture as a concept of art. I subscribe to Architecture Digest to look at beautiful or ugly cantilevers and alcoves. It is fascinating.

What are your interests?
When I moved to Omaha I thought this was a dilapidated building being torn down. It turns out they were building this monstrosity.

1714137172438.png

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

Enjoy perusing google maps and looking at things like city airport layouts, interstate exchanges, reliving old vacations, looking for new biking/running routes, and any other quirky things.

Love maps. Google maps to investigate where things are - customers (B2B, not stalking lol), things in the news, etc. But old maps too, like JRRT's Middle Earth maps, probably because I looked at them so much while reading the books as a kid. I have a globe my uncle gave me in Jr High on my desk at work - complete with the USSR, EAST Germany, Rhodesia, etc.

I can't really indulge my "that guy" hobby anymore, at least not out loud. Ever since I said "I think I went to college with that guy!" (Nate Mooney, aka McPoyle) there's nothing but hate if I bring someone up. But I do enjoy recognizing minor actors and knowing/looking up where I have seen them before. IDK why.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I like collecting t-shirts that have been worn in movies. So far I have Spicoli's Colt 45 shirt from the last scene of Fast Times, a Camp Northstar CIT shirt from Meatballs, the light blue "Win Rocky Win" shirt from Rocky II, the Surf Nicaragua shirt Val Kilmer wears in Real Genius, the I Ate a 96er shirt John Candy won in The Great Outdoors, an Ampipe Football shirt from All The Right Moves, the Fear and Loathing shirt Judd Nelson wears in St. Elmo's Fire, plus a few others. Always fun wearing one and having someone recognize it. Next one up is the Stovington Eagles shirt that Jack Nicholson wears in The Shining...

eaglecolazione1.jpg

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I got into collecting bourbon around Covid. It started as looking for Buffalo Trace when I'd go to Wal Mart and now I'm probably somewhere around 75-80 bottles at any given time. Just an absurdly dumb way to spend your money, and honestly I don't drink it more than maybe a glass or two a week. But I love trying to find rare bottles or to find new distillers that are making a good product.

Reactions: Angie and bozclone

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL

Oh I am in the same camp and do a lot of GeoGuessr which is like Google Maps StreetView but they plop you down on a random spot and you gotta guess where you’re at.

There’s another one from VirtualVacation called City Guesser and it’s like people strapping a go pro to their chest and just walking around cities and you gotta guess. I like this one maybe even more because you can’t pause or zoom or pan around, just experience the walk.

Did a lot of those two in 2020/21 for sure.

Reactions: mj4cy

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I got into collecting bourbon around Covid. It started as looking for Buffalo Trace when I'd go to Wal Mart and now I'm probably somewhere around 75-80 bottles at any given time. Just an absurdly dumb way to spend your money, and honestly I don't drink it more than maybe a glass or two a week. But I love trying to find rare bottles or to find new distillers that are making a good product.
Ever had Driftless Glen from up in Wisco? Good stuff.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Lichens. Took a class on them in college with my favorite professor and went to the BWCA twice with a class to study them. I'm always looking out for them and trying to identify them.

Reactions: Angie and 2122

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I like reading books about Holocaust survivors and their stories of what they went through.

Also like reading autobiographies of rock stars.

Reactions: Angie and MeanDean

Helser 83

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 7, 2022
This probably isn't that weird per say, but my wife would say otherwise. I find anything about outer space and all of the physics, science and technology around it so fascinating and most of it mind blowing. The huge scale of things is almost unthinkable and hard to wrap your head around if you think about it. Shows like "How the Universe Works" and documentaries and discoveries from Hubble and now the JWST just leave me in amazement.

Help Support Us

Become a patron