Kempt is great...but....

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
When was the last time we have had a fulltime starting NFL QB?

I'm a Lanning fan, in spite of the lack of arm talent. Collin Klein was a Heisman finalist.

Downfield passing doesn't work at ISU and I have 10 years of film from Mcfarland, Herman, Messingham, Mangino to prove it. But I'm glad we ditched the shades of Mangino-era deepball, 48 passes (mostly downfield) + 5 sacks as opposed to only 10 RB handoffs we did vs Texas for the short stuff we did vs OU & KU. Hopefully Park can stick to that gameplan and not pick pass on every RPO and not chuck every pass deep and never check down...ISU will lose a lot of games that way.

Wait a second... Which NFL team is Klein playing for?

• Agree
Reactions: SerenityNow

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
Kempt is our QB, to date he is 2-0. Do not expect to rule the Worlds with our overall team. Be grateful for how the season is going and support the hell out of them. Kempt busting his a$$ since the day he got here. You couch coaches can blow it.

Last edited:

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
With Park, the ceiling is higher and the floor is lower. Campbell may have a tough choice to make soon.

Cyrok

Oct 14, 2009
DSM
Statistically in what? Net passing yards? Juxtaposing 3 non-con games vs UNI, Iowa, Akron over a 12 game season?...

...You think Park, the guy who is 66th in the country in passer rating, is a legend? Ok, how many seasons does he spend as an NFL starter?
"Extrapolating" is the word you're looking for.

When was the last time we have had a fulltime starting NFL QB?

I'm a Lanning fan, in spite of the lack of arm talent. Collin Klein was a Heisman finalist.

Downfield passing doesn't work at ISU and I have 10 years of film from Mcfarland, Herman, Messingham, Mangino to prove it. But I'm glad we ditched the shades of Mangino-era deepball, 48 passes (mostly downfield) + 5 sacks as opposed to only 10 RB handoffs we did vs Texas for the short stuff we did vs OU & KU. Hopefully Park can stick to that gameplan and not pick pass on every RPO and not chuck every pass deep and never check down...ISU will lose a lot of games that way.

This year's offense was 22nd in the country in efficiency prior to today's game. Im not sure that will change much after today's game where we punted 9 times vs what I believe was a bottom 100 defense in KU. 22nd is amazing for ISU being that we were never top 50 with a downfield passing attack for the last decade. Kstate was 10th, 16th, 18th, 19th in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, respectively. I think Campbell is learning this lesson about ISU football and what it takes to win in the Big 12 at a disadvantaged program. Now I'm going to go do what I do - actually watch college football. Lots and lots of college football.

I probably don't watch as much college football as you do, but the way I understand it, "arm talent" usually refers to being able to throw deep. Lanning has a cannon for an arm.

DrT

Nov 17, 2012
Mammoth Lakes, CA
United States Little League World Series Champion, Matt Cassel, from Northridge, CA (2004) was recruited by USC to be their Quarterback. Because he was stuck behind other (supposedly) better QB/athletes, he never started a game in college. He was, however, a superb back-up, whose role prepared him for backing up Tom Brady, which catapulted him into his own decent NFL career!

Sound at all familiar?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
With Park, the ceiling is higher and the floor is lower. Campbell may have a tough choice to make soon.

Depends. At some point, Kempt is going to have to make some tough throws. So far, he's been in a position to take what's been given and he's gotten help on the outside, but he's going to have to do more at some point to have a shot at 8 wins or so. I'm not saying he can't do it. I'm just saying there isn't much evidence outside of the one throw to Lazard last week.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Depends. At some point, Kempt is going to have to make some tough throws. So far, he's been in a position to take what's been given and he's gotten help on the outside, but he's going to have to do more at some point to have a shot at 8 wins or so. I'm not saying he can't do it. I'm just saying there isn't much evidence outside of the one throw to Lazard last week.

Sure. All I can go on is what I've seen so far.

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
I agree Kempt is great.
I don't believe you think he's great otherwise you wouldn't of started this dumbass thread.
Stop talking about six wins. Winning in Norman elevates this team above that threshold.

I'd still be happy with six wins. We'll probably be the underdog in five of our last six games.

• Agree
Reactions: 52342cyclone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I agree Kempt is great.
I don't believe you think he's great otherwise you wouldn't of started this dumbass thread.
Stop talking about six wins. Winning in Norman elevates this team above that threshold.

No it doesn't.

If they get some breaks ISU may be at 6 wins by B lor game. The next few weeks are

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
We were 48th prior to Kempt completing 75% of his passes for an average of 18.5 per completion vs OU. 48th with Jacob Park. And I asked you to tell me how many seasons you think Jacob Park starts in the NFL?

Your obsession with judging how good a college QB is by his NFL potential is odd

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I didn't think Park was an option right now. Honestly we don't know when or if he will be an option. Pretty silly to debate if he should be our starter. It is pretty disrespectful to Kempt and the team and the job they have done

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron