just realized isu will be picked to finish 8th or worse (preseason) 4 of 4 years

Cyclonic1

Aug 7, 2012
Sun City, AZ
i'm thinking that too, but the transfer experiment has worked in cfh's favor so far. perhaps next season will be no different. there will be a better mix of transfers, proven players, and highly touted underclassmen next season. hope they keep the energy rolling.
With another years experience for Ejim, Niang, and Gibson we will not suck next year - and the new kids Thomas and Morris appear to know what they are doing. Preseason rankings mean nothing except that you should be able to get good beer bets with your buddies and drink on them most of the season.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Gibson can be effective around the rim, but his defense and rebounding are not very good. Not to mention, he isn't a guy that steps out and fires a jumper from 10-12 feet. At 6'9", he needs to develop a more all around game.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I can't believe the coaches picked us 8th. You think they would have learned last year. 8th as in above only TCU and TTU. Think about that,let it sink and, and please explain how that makes any sense.

Think about it, let it sink in, and please explain how it even matters? I guess its a topic of discussion, but what does anyone really care so long as the team over-performs to expectations?

And as I posted somewhere before, my guess is the conference coaches have a much better appreciation for the B12 talent they have to plan for than anyone on this board.

Respect is earned by what you do on the court consistently. We WERE just 1 and done last year...

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Think about it, let it sink in, and please explain how it even matters? I guess its a topic of discussion, but what does anyone really care so long as the team over-performs to expectations?

And as I posted somewhere before, my guess is the conference coaches have a much better appreciation for the B12 talent they have to plan for than anyone on this board.

Respect is earned by what you do on the court consistently. We WERE just 1 and done last year...
I doubt they give it much thought actually, and they prove that almost yearly. You are right, after being picked to finish 8th, we JUST finished 3rd and were JUST one of the top-32 JUST last year. Does not exactly support your point. At all.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I doubt they give it much thought actually, and they prove that almost yearly. You are right, after being picked to finish 8th, we JUST finished 3rd and were JUST one of the top-32 JUST last year. Does not exactly support your point. At all.

If you're not top 16 in the nation out of 300 some teams, you have to be 8th or worse in the Big 12 I guess. It's the Ricky Bobby, 'if you're not first, you're last" logic.

Last edited:

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012

it really doesn't. this is a message board where people discuss useless crap all day. that's kind of what ya do on a message board. i mean, you're here right? discussing the same useless topic as the rest of us.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
i keep going through scenarios for next year's team.

Me too.

Remember, we know now that Fred runs a 8 man rotation by conference season. Maybe 7, but usually not 9. Maybe a couple others get <5 minutes a game, but they aren't in the rotation.

I think Morris, Thomas, Ejim, Niang and Gibson are givens to be 5 of the 8. Not saying that's the starters, but they are guaranteed to be in the rotation.

The other 3 spots are a backup point, a wing and a post. I think Jones is certainly in the rotation come conference season, but I could see him being a McGee-role, providing scoring and energy off the bench. Bubu and Naz will play a lot early and have a chance to play their way into the rotation, but I think it's Morris and Jones in the end.

The wing position will probably be Hogue, but SDW could win the spot, especially if Hogue struggles.

The backup post will come down to Amardi or Edozie, and who knows who wins that. Personally I don't have high hopes for either of them. They need to just play defense and rebound. If I had to guess, I'll go with Amardi being in the rotation.

So my 8-man rotation ends up being Morris, Jones, Thomas, Hogue, Ejim, Niang, Gibson and Amardi. The quality of the team will depend entirely on how good the backcourt rotation of Morris-Jones-Thomas-Hogue is.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Me too.

Remember, we know now that Fred runs a 8 man rotation by conference season. Maybe 7, but usually not 9. Maybe a couple others get <5 minutes a game, but they aren't in the rotation.

I think Morris, Thomas, Ejim, Niang and Gibson are givens to be 5 of the 8. Not saying that's the starters, but they are guaranteed to be in the rotation.

The wing position will probably be Hogue, but SDW could win the spot, especially if Hogue struggles.

The backup post will come down to Amardi or Edozie, and who knows who wins that. Personally I don't have high hopes for either of them. They need to just play defense and rebound. If I had to guess, I'll go with Amardi being in the rotation.

So my 8-man rotation ends up being Morris, Jones, Thomas, Hogue, Ejim, Niang, Gibson and Amardi. The quality of the team will depend entirely on how good the backcourt rotation of Morris-Jones-Thomas-Hogue is.

I can never get too much of this discussion.

Not that I am disagreeing, as on average I would think an 8 man rotation is the most common, but can we say we know Fred is running an 8-man rotation by preference or due to roster limitations? Year 1 we not only lacked talent, but simply scholarship numbers. Last year, we were 9 deep before Bubu got hurt, and the only other options after that was Sledge and Railey. I have to imagine if players 10 and 11 (9 and 10 with Bubu hurt) were on par with subs like McGee and Gibson, we would see them too. Imo we would be at 9 this year too if Bubu was available.

In that regard, I think we may see a larger rotation next year when we seemingly will have many more players closer in talent and filling different needs. I think Naz, Bubu, and SDW all could push for starting jobs at the beginning next year, and two of them being in the conference rotation.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Me too.

The other 3 spots are a backup point, a wing and a post. I think Jones is certainly in the rotation come conference season, but I could see him being a McGee-role, providing scoring and energy off the bench. Bubu and Naz will play a lot early and have a chance to play their way into the rotation, but I think it's Morris and Jones in the end.

I think it starts like this.
PG: Bubu/Jones/Morris
SG: Thomas/Naz
SF: Hogue/SDW/Okoro
PF: Ejim/Armadi
PF: Niang/Gibson/Edozie
No doubt, Fred is going to give a bunch of minutes to others before conference play. But the bold ones will probably be the main rotation. It so hard to say though as there are so many unprovens. I honestly think Naz will see the floor a lot in the early season and may taper off a bit during conference play. Same for Morris but who knows, maybe he is already better than Bubu. I also think Armadi is too athletic to keep off the floor. He will be earning a lot of time due to his ability to run the floor like Fred likes.

nallen34

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2010
Ankeny, IA
I can never get too much of this discussion.

Not that I am disagreeing, as on average I would think an 8 man rotation is the most common, but can we say we know Fred is running an 8-man rotation by preference or due to roster limitations? Year 1 we not only lacked talent, but simply scholarship numbers. Last year, we were 9 deep before Bubu got hurt, and the only other options after that was Sledge and Railey. I have to imagine if players 10 and 11 (9 and 10 with Bubu hurt) were on par with subs like McGee and Gibson, we would see them too. Imo we would be at 9 this year too if Bubu was available.

In that regard, I think we may see a larger rotation next year when we seemingly will have many more players closer in talent and filling different needs. I think Naz, Bubu, and SDW all could push for starting jobs at the beginning next year, and two of them being in the conference rotation.

Yeah Hoiberg played 9 last year when Bubu wasn't hurt. He will play 9 this year too when Bubu starts dressing. I see us having a 9 man rotation next year also with the minutes distribution looking like this:

PG: Jones-27 mpg, Bubu-13 mpg

SG: Thomas-25 mpg, Dorsey-Walker-8 mpg, Naz-7 mpg

SF: Hogue-20 mpg, Ejim-10 mpg, Dorsey-Walker-10 mpg

PF: Niang-22 mpg, Ejim-18 mpg

C: Percy-22 mpg, Amardi-12 mpg, Niang-6 mpg

I know this isn't going to be a popular opinion, but I could see us red-shirting Morris and Edozie next season. I just don't see how Bubu isn't the back up PG next season. It's very unlikely that a player that has been playing 14 mpg for 3 years is going to get benched by the 88th best freshman in the class of 2013. Morris' red shirt wouldn't be because he isn't talented enough to play right away, but because his 5th year he could be more useful than his 1st year. Also because he has older more experienced players in front of him(not necessarily more talented). Similar to Dorsey Walker's situation this year having Babb and McGee in front of him. I could also see Edozie red shirting for developmental purposes, and also because Amardi has to play next year considering he will be a red shirt senior and doesn't have the option of red-shirting. The only way Edozie would red-shirt though is if Amardi is able to play Booker type minutes. If Amardi is not good enough to do that then obviously Edozie wont red shirt.

Last edited:

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
No Nallen, just no, no, no, no, no, no.

[video=youtube;31g0YE61PLQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31g0YE61PLQ[/video]

nallen34

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2010
Ankeny, IA
No Nallen, just no, no, no, no, no, no.

Ha. I think it's clear by now that you support talented top 100 freshmen players, and i support less talented 5th year seniors. I'll take a player that has played 14 mpg for 3 straight years at PG against great division 1 competition any day of the week over the 82nd/94th best freshman in the country. If Monte was top 25 it might be a different story, but he is on average the 88th best player in the country. Also if it wasn't PG(the hardest position in college to learn) i might change my mind too. That's just me though. I'll agree to disagree.

Last edited:

veryphil

Feb 24, 2012
Siracusa, ITA/Ames, IA
We need to simply clone Melvin Ejim for next year. We'll be alright if we do that. Seriously though, our recruits look solid and we should be good. . .

That said, we'll never, likely ever, get the respect we deserve. "Sports journalists" that cover the Big 12 are mostly the __itty journalists who couldn't make it as real reporters. With that in mind, we shouldn't be surprised that they don't dig too deep or think too hard about their picks for preseason. They don't lose anything if they're wrong. . . just credibility, which isn't a requirement necessarily to work at some of the ____wad publications that cover our conference.

Bottom line: who gives a **** what the press says. The Mayor will have every team ready to go.

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
We need to simply clone Melvin Ejim for next year. We'll be alright if we do that. Seriously though, our recruits look solid and we should be good. . .

That said, we'll never, likely ever, get the respect we deserve. "Sports journalists" that cover the Big 12 are mostly the __itty journalists who couldn't make it as real reporters. With that in mind, we shouldn't be surprised that they don't dig too deep or think too hard about their picks for preseason. They don't lose anything if they're wrong. . . just credibility, which isn't a requirement necessarily to work at some of the ____wad publications that cover our conference.

Bottom line: who gives a **** what the press says. The Mayor will have every team ready to go.
Ejim is only a junior.