just realized isu will be picked to finish 8th or worse (preseason) 4 of 4 years

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Yeah Hoiberg played 9 last year when Bubu wasn't hurt. He will play 9 this year too when Bubu starts dressing. I see us having a 9 man rotation next year also with the minutes distribution looking like this:

PG: Jones-27 mpg, Bubu-13 mpg

SG: Thomas-25 mpg, Dorsey-Walker-8 mpg, Naz-7 mpg

SF: Hogue-20 mpg, Ejim-10 mpg, Dorsey-Walker-10 mpg

PF: Niang-22 mpg, Ejim-18 mpg

C: Percy-22 mpg, Amardi-12 mpg, Niang-6 mpg

I know this isn't going to be a popular opinion, but I could see us red-shirting Morris and Edozie next season. I just don't see how Bubu isn't the back up PG next season. It's very unlikely that a player that has been playing 14 mpg for 3 years is going to get benched by the 88th best freshman in the class of 2013. Morris' red shirt wouldn't be because he isn't talented enough to play right away, but because his 5th year he could be more useful than his 1st year. Also because he has older more experienced players in front of him(not necessarily more talented). Similar to Dorsey Walker's situation this year having Babb and McGee in front of him. I could also see Edozie red shirting for developmental purposes, and also because Amardi has to play next year considering he will be a red shirt senior and doesn't have the option of red-shirting. The only way Edozie would red-shirt though is if Amardi is able to play Booker type minutes. If Amardi is not good enough to do that then obviously Edozie wont red shirt.

You do realize above all else, this makes you lose all credibility right?

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
You do realize above all else, this makes you lose all credibility right?
Yeah, I do not see Ejim playing 10 minutes a game with 2 other posts on the floor, but he has him playing 28 minutes. Although still a tad too low imo, for reference, Ejim is averaging 25.5 minutes per game this year.

Last edited:

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Jeezz Louise, if Morris isn't better than Bubu right out of the gate, I'd say we were wasting our time.

(Please save the 5th year/experience replies as they are silly)

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I feel that we will struggle in the pre-season with the better teams but by conference time the team will play pretty well, as usual. I'm afraid that the lumps taken in the pre-season will be too much to overcome. It will be fun watching the team grow and they may surprise but by initial thought is NIT.

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
Jeezz Louise, if Morris isn't better than Bubu right out of the gate, I'd say we were wasting our time.

(Please save the 5th year/experience replies as they are silly)

somebody out there should provide a side by side statistical comparison of bubu to lucious with projected bubu stats IF he were to play the same amount of minutes. points, rebounds, assist:turnovers.

i may be totally off base but i think bubu would compare reasonably well. when bubu has gotten minutes over the past two years, i generally come away impressed. seems a lot of people share the sentiment that any incoming freshman should be better than bubu. imo, bubu is hardly a liability out there. won't be as flashy as KL, but plays solid.

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
What difference does it make? I've never seen NCAA bids issued on pre-season predictions.

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
it doesn't make much of a difference. but it does make a difference when it comes to rankings during the season. and ranking do matter (as much as we say they don't). getting your score posted on espn as a top 25 team is a lot better than not getting it posted. it matters for recruiting and national perception.

if you start as a top 3 big 12 team preseason, it is a short climb into the top 25. when you start at the bottom, the hill is a lot steeper.

will it win you a big 12 title or national title? no. but being the preseason pick to win the big 12 sure looks a lot better to recruits than being picked as a basement dweller every season. it just gives you a 1% advantage before you even play a game. a 1% advantage i'll take any day of the week. you still have to go out and win games and that is of course more important than any preseason ranking. but it IS better to be at the top of a useless poll than at the bottom.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
somebody out there should provide a side by side statistical comparison of bubu to lucious with projected bubu stats IF he were to play the same amount of minutes. points, rebounds, assist:turnovers.

i may be totally off base but i think bubu would compare reasonably well. when bubu has gotten minutes over the past two years, i generally come away impressed. seems a lot of people share the sentiment that any incoming freshman should be better than bubu. imo, bubu is hardly a liability out there. won't be as flashy as KL, but plays solid.

Key words, that are there for a reason.
No doubt that he's contributed but come on.

nallen34

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2010
Ankeny, IA
Yeah, I do not see Ejim playing 10 minutes a game with 2 other posts on the floor, but he has him playing 28 minutes. Although still a tad too low imo, for reference, Ejim is averaging 25.5 minutes per game this year.

Most post players don't play as many minutes as guards do because it's a more physical game in the post and also because foul trouble is more of a factor which limits minutes.

nallen34

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2010
Ankeny, IA

Alright I'll do it. ha. I compared Lucious' stats this year so far compared to Bubu's stats last year:

Lucious' stats this year so far:

30.9 mpg
10.1 ppg
5.5 apg
3.8 topg
1.8 rpg
1.1 spg
3.9 2 pt field goal attempts per game
1.6 2 pt makes per game
5.1 3 pt field goal attempts per game
1.8 3 pt makes per game
1.8 free throw attempts per game
1.5 free throw makes per game

Bubu's stats if he were to play 30.9 mpg:

30.9 mpg
9.0 ppg
3.4 apg
2.5 topg
3.4 rpg
.9 spg
3.5 2 pt field goal attempts per game
1.6 2 pt makes per game
1.2 3 pt field goal attempts per game
.5 3 pt makes per game
6.3 free throw attempts per game
4.2 free throw makes per game

So yeah I would say Bubu would compare decently well to Lucious if he were to play the same amount of minutes as him. Bubu doesn't pass it as well, but he also takes care of the ball better. Bubu's points don't come from 3 pt range like Lucious' do. Bubu gets to the line much more than Lucious does though. Last year he shot more free throws per minute than anyone on the team, including Royce. He also rebounds better than Lucious. I hope this paints a better picture for people of how Bubu might perform if he played more minutes. Also consider the fact that these were numbers from last season. With another year of experience this season his numbers might get even better by the time the 2013-14 season rolls around.

Last edited: