just realized isu will be picked to finish 8th or worse (preseason) 4 of 4 years

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Quit whining. We lost 3 very good starters last year and something like 60% of our scoring. We lost a first round draft pick. There were lots of questions of how the new transfers would do, and the freshmen. I think most fans had bought into FH as a great coach to feel more confident than 'non-Cylcone fans" so I can't get too worked up. As long as we deliver on the floor, that's all I care about.

And while I am not always impressed by Cyclone coverage in the Register, the column today speaks volumes about where our program is going:

http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/...aa-tourney-big-picture/article?nclick_check=1

So quityurbitchin and enjoy the games.

This ******** is good and welcome.

Anyone that has done their homework for this year would not have us 8th. As for next year, I would pick us for 8th.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
People on this board defended KSU, Baylor, OU, and OSU all leap frogging us because of the awesome recruits and transfers they had coming in.

So far I don't see how any of them are better than Niang, Clyburn and KL. Clyburn was the lowest risk newcomer in the entire Big 12 based on his MWC stats. Ejim, Babb and McGee have also shown they're a similar or better returning core than the teams picked to leapfrog us. We returned what turned out to be the conferences top rebounder, a top defender, top 3 point shooter.

Whoa wait a second, who says thaey havn't, we havn't played any of them yet. Time will obviously tell but don't put the cart in front of the horse. We will know a lot about this team after we play KSU the second time. Until then I'll reserve judgement.

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
Quit whining. We lost 3 very good starters last year and something like 60% of our scoring. We lost a first round draft pick. There were lots of questions of how the new transfers would do, and the freshmen. I think most fans had bought into FH as a great coach to feel more confident than 'non-Cylcone fans" so I can't get too worked up. As long as we deliver on the floor, that's all I care about.

And while I am not always impressed by Cyclone coverage in the Register, the column today speaks volumes about where our program is going:

http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/...aa-tourney-big-picture/article?nclick_check=1

i was neither whining nore *******', simply noticing. and i have been enjoying the games.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

What non-KU Big 12 newcomer had less question marks than a player who led the Mountain West in scoring?

There's "bi+ching" and then there's making incredibly obvious observations based on real statistics.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Not sure why a lot of people think next year is going to be so bad. Just because we'll be young and inexperienced, doesn't mean we'll be bad. I expect us to be competing for a NCAA tournament bid again especially if Thomas and Monte are as good as advertised.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
So when we start 13-4 next year and people complain about preseason polls how will you respond?
That this ******** is good and welcome.
Athletic departments need fans, not balanced observers who give everything the benefit of the doubt or agree with largely ignorant outside expectations. You may even call them fanatics.

Oh, and I will beg the basketball gods for forgiveness in the shrine in my basement devoted to Hoiberg.

Last edited:

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Not sure why a lot of people think next year is going to be so bad. Just because we'll be young and inexperienced, doesn't mean we'll be bad. I expect us to be competing for a NCAA tournament bid again especially if Thomas and Monte are as good as advertised.

Ejim's significant improvement and Niang being as advertised has actually greatly improved my outlook for next season. Matt Thomas obviously too.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
The Big 12 loses a lot of good players but so do we so I don't know what to think for next year.

Kansas loses their whole starting lineup. Withey, Johnson, Releford, Young and McLemore (NBA). But they do gain the #25, #26, #31, #37 and #134 in the Rivals 150.

Baylor loses Walton (their defender), Pierre Jackson and I think Austin leaves for the NBA. Gain 3 4 stars and a JUCO PG.

Texas doesn't lose anybody unless Kabongo leaves for the NBA. Gain a unranked 3 star PG.

Texas Tech loses reserve Ty Nurse. Gains nobody as of now.

TCU loses second and third leading Scorers, a guy averaging 28 minutes and one averaging 20 minutes. (Greene, McKinney, Crossland, Butler Lind) They add the #46 player in C Shepherd. A top 130 SF in Parrish. And an unranked 3 star PG

Oklahoma loses Osby, Grooms, Fitzgerald and Pledger. Gain two JUCO posts and #135 PG in Rivals 150.

Kansas State loses McGruder, Irving and Jordan Henriquez. Gain some 3 stars and NR center. Nobody in the 150.

Oklahoma State loses only Jurick to graduation. I'm sure Nash and or Smart will leave for the NBA. Gain two top 100 SG and a couple other guys.

West Virginia loses Rutledge, Kilicli, Humphrey. Gain a top 100 C. 4 star forward Macon and a top 150 C.

Iowa State- Everyone knows what we lose and gain.

Of course this list doesn't include players red shirting. I have no clue where we will be predicted to finish.
-Sorry for the long post.

Last edited:
Reactions: nallen34

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
The Big 12 loses a lot of good players but so do we so I don't know what to think for next year.

Kansas loses their whole starting lineup. Withey, Johnson, Releford, Young and McLemore (NBA). But they do gain the #25, #26, #31, #37 and #134 in the Rivals 150.

Baylor loses Walton (their defender), Pierre Jackson and I think Austin leaves for the NBA. Gain 3 4 stars and a JUCO PG.

Texas doesn't lose anybody unless Kabongo leaves for the NBA. Gain a unranked 3 star PG.

Texas Tech- Who cares.
TCU- Who cares

Oklahoma loses Osby, Grooms, Fitzgerald and Pledger. Gain two JUCO posts and #135 PG in Rivals 150.

Kansas State loses McGruder, Irving and Jordan Henriquez. Gain some 3 stars and NR center. Nobody in the 150.

Oklahoma State loses only Jurick to graduation. I'm sure Nash and or Smart will leave for the NBA. Gain two top 100 SG and a couple other guys.

West Virginia loses Rutledge, Kilicli, Humphrey. Gain a top 100 C. 4 star forward Macon and a top 150 C.

Of course this list doesn't include players red shirting. I have no clue where we will be predicted to finish.
TCU has a 4 star and 2 three stars so they will be better I would think

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
We only have one proven guard, that's a scary thought in the big 12. The frontline should be fine but guard play is a huge question mark.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
We only have one proven guard, that's a scary thought in the big 12. The frontline should be fine but guard play is a huge question mark.
Completely agree. We will have no idea what we have till tip off next season. Another bad part is our scout team will be much worse than years in the past which may effect our progression through the season also

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
TCU has a 4 star and 2 three stars so they will be better I would think
Karviar Shepherd(46) and Brandon Parrish are their top 150 players. But they do lose their second and third leading Scorers. And two other guys averaging 28 and 20 minutes.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there

Texas Tech- Who cares.
TCU- Who cares

Good stuff Thompson. I think the conference will be similar to this year, but rated higher because TT and TCU will not be as incredibly low as they are now.

-KU is KU. I long ago lost hope they would come back to the pack. Honestly, we need them to be good.

-TT will be better. Their three best players imo will be back, plus potentially another starter in recruiting

-TCU may be better. They have at least a couple good recruits coming in, and would be in Year 2 of a new coach. They do lose McKinney and Green (combined 18 and 12 yesterday). Can they be worse?

-Ok State will be better. They only lose one senior and I do not see both Nash and Smart leaving. As usual they have some talented guards coming in

-Texas will be better if no one unexpectedly leaves. They are just young this year. Heck, when we play them in Austin they will look a lot different with Myck and Sheldon McClellan.

-OU I am not sure on. Osby and Pledger are big losses, but Kruger did a good job getting their replacements in THIS year with M'Baye and Hield. They also have Clark and two other good freshmen guards returning. Fitzgerald is a loss, but he is now a role player only playing 16 minutes a game. Kruger is a bit like Floyd in recruiting- he will find someone that will be good next year.

-Baylor I think slips, but not much. Baylor is Baylor, they will have undeveloped talent. That said Jackson is a big loss, and hopefully Austin leaves. Jefferson too.

-KSU McGruder is a big loss obviously, but I do not think they drop off. They will be an experienced, deep, physical, well coached team. Not many holes in the line-up either.

-WVU I have no idea. Most of their talent is young though, and I would not bet on Huggins missing the tournament two years in a row.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I can't believe the coaches picked us 8th. You think they would have learned last year. 8th as in above only TCU and TTU. Think about that,let it sink and, and please explain how that makes any sense.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I don't have much of a problem getting picked 8th. RW did everything for ISU. Led the team in just about every category and also brought the ball up the court. They also lost a great shooter and leader in Scotty and an athletic scoring guard in Allen. They had some major holes to fill.

For next year, obviously the front court will be solid. I think that Hogue is being brought in to help replace Clyburn. IMO Thomas will start from Day 1. That leaves the PG spot. I think that they have a three man competition with Morris, Bubu and Naz Long. But, the USC transfer may end up being the answer. I think that they schedule light in the noncon and then get the new PG in ready for the conference season. Amardi and Edozi are rotation players inside. The big question marks are whether Okoro and SDW can help in the rotation.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
I look at who KSU loses, and who they bring in - only Angel Rodriguez scares me. I predict a step back. Of course, as others have noted - transfers both last years and this coming year are not accounted for. Same can be said for coaching changes. (Ford?) It's a wild card.

i keep going through scenarios for next year's team. I'm not sure what to expect for our Juco's. Gibson needs to have a consistent rebounding effort, and show some semblance of defensive ability. Niang is solid in most all aspects of the game, but will need to improve rebounding. Ejim is rock solid. He's got bad hands and bad feet, but is a Max-effort beast under the basket. I think Thomas will be just fine. Morris - I don't know if he'll physically be ready to play (he's pretty light). SDW - Coach is high on his scoring ability. Bubu?..

we have a tough non-conf schedule next season, with a lot of new parts. At the end of the season, I could see us playing decent ball as the new guys figure out what Hoiball wants. Until then, I will assume inconsistency.