JP knew all along... we always think we know more then he does..

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
we wanted jp to fire and pay off greg... now we dont have greg in the same year and someone else paid for it... Genius! love that guy.

Last edited:

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
So JP knew for the past month-plus, that Dana Altman would leave Creighton for Oregon the last week of April, Creighton would be interested in GMac and pay off his buyout?

I love JP too, but....

Where was this crystal ball 4 years ago when we hired Mac?

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen...

emperorpalpatine.jpg

Alswelk

Slightly Radioactive
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 5, 2006
Albuquerque, NM
I think that this played out best for (almost) everyone involved....McD gets to leave on (somewhat) his own terms rather than get fired, Creighton pays our buyout so we don't bleed money on getting rid of him. Seems like the best way out of a potentially ugly situation.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
So JP knew for the past month-plus, that Dana Altman would leave Creighton for Oregon the last week of April, Creighton would be interested in GMac and pay off his buyout?

I love JP too, but....

No crystal ball...JP knows gmac wants to stay in coaching. Why not tell him it's over, start looking for another job because I can't afford to fire you this year. Save you're career and start looking. I believe it was reported gmac contacted CU...not the other way around. I'm not saying it's fact but I think it is possible.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Just ridiculous. Pollard knew none of this. Not hating on Pollard at all but how does he get praise for this? In Greg's contract the buyout was 800K. Creighton has to pay that. What is so great about what Pollard did?

Now yes we did get lucky and saved 2.8 mil by them taking him. I can rejoice that for sure!

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I think that this played out best for (almost) everyone involved....McD gets to leave on (somewhat) his own terms rather than get fired, Creighton pays our buyout so we don't bleed money on getting rid of him. Seems like the best way out of a potentially ugly situation.

The "almost" part being the players that have stuck with and signed with McD.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
So with that line of thinking.....then the Nick Nurse/Jeff Grayer hires were to get ahead of the game....and we already have our head coach and lead assistant hired, right?

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA

I love JP too, but....

But it could be that there is a constant stream of schools (at some level) gauging interest in a coach which are usually turned down, but since the season ended Pollard let it be known that McDermott would listen and JP and Greg may have agreed to have Greg move on if an appropriate situation arose.

The truth is probably somewhere in between "he knew everything" and "he got lucky".

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
No crystal ball...JP knows gmac wants to stay in coaching. Why not tell him it's over, start looking for another job because I can't afford to fire you this year. Save you're career and start looking. I believe it was reported gmac contacted CU...not the other way around. I'm not saying it's fact but I think it is possible.

I'd like our prospects going forward a whole lot more if there was, in fact, a crystal ball involved..... :biggrin:

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines

I love JP too, but....

;) duh.. no, but maybe he knew something like this would happen... either he is just plain lucky, or smart... or maybe smart and patient...

cytheguy

May 23, 2006
Some people are just brainwashed into believing JP is a genius and can do no wrong. But as another poster said, it's more luck in this situation than anything else.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008

It seems to be his MO. He contacted ISU about the job. If he knew his days here were numbered then he had to have been actively looking for an opening somewhere he could actually get hired. I don't think it is a stretch at all to think that GMAC pursued the Creighton job. If he did then I would personally like to thank him. Now like a locust he can move on to Creighton and destroy their program while being paid a crazy amount of money to do it. :biggrin:

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
It seems to be his MO. He contacted ISU about the job. If he knew his days here were numbered then he had to have been actively looking for an opening somewhere he could actually get hired. I don't think it is a stretch at all to think that GMAC pursued the Creighton job. If he did then I would personally like to thank him. Now like a locust he can move on to Creighton and destroy their program while being paid a crazy amount of money to do it. :biggrin:

20 bucks that Creighton is in the NCAAs within 4 years.