It's official: Tool is in the studio

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
Look for a release in early 2011. I had reported a few months back that they were looking to release in Sept-Oct of 2010. Ain't gonna happen. Looks to be like Feb-March of 2011.

I for one can't wait to acquire my first piece of purchased music since 10,000 days.

Bewilderme

Apr 11, 2006
Minneapolis
Love it. These boys never fail to impress. I have grown out of my hard rock stage but will still be buying this when it is released. My guess is first week of May, 2011. They love the May releases.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
I love Tool and will be excited to see what they can put out this time.

However my fandom for them slipped a little when I actually saw them in concert (i think it was in 2002) and Maynard Keenan sang the whole time in womens underwear crouched behind a speaker and kept saying "don't look at me it's about the music". Kind of creeped me out and killed the image I had of them.

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields

However my fandom for them slipped a little when I actually saw them in concert (i think it was in 2002) and Maynard Keenan sang the whole time in womens underwear crouched behind a speaker and kept saying "don't look at me it's about the music". Kind of creeped me out and killed the image I had of them.

pretty sure that's just how he rolls.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
pretty sure that's just how he rolls.

Yeah. I've seen them live twice and he usually stands in the very back of the stage, behind his bandmates. At times he even looked disinterested when he wasn't singing.

Blew the damn roof off with Stinkfist and Vicarious, though. :yes:

I also agree that we'll see something in May. That meshes with what they've done with Lateralus and 10,000 Days.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
The first time I saw Tool was second stage Lolla in Des Moines. Maynard took a **** on some people. It was sick & hilarious at the same time. Of course, those who got nailed didn't find it nearly as amusing.

Tarbox

Jan 3, 2008
Boulder, CO
www.kccq.com

Ehmm.....Did you ever really listen to the lyrics?

TOOL - PRISON SEX LYRICS

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008

It had to have been long before 2002. 2002 would have been the Lateralus tour, he was in all leather with black face paint occasionally. That would obviously get hot, so he would take the leather off and rock a speedo.

95575489_840c177949.jpg

images

Once and awhile he would come out all blue with "Lateralus eyes" glowing all over.

You would have to go back around 96-97 to find him dressed as a woman. This would have been the Ænima Tour. Ænima is a very "feminine" album in nature. The term Anima comes from Carl Jung, it is the "female inner personality".

images

Tool+MaynardJamesKeenan1.jpg

Maynard often used to dress up/paint up to "put a mask on" so that he would be comfortable about singing about things he didnt necessarily want to sing about (a lot of the songs are about abuse he endured as a child and abusive relationships he endured). By putting on his "clown mask" he could go out and sing about anything. Now, he sits in the shadows to not draw attention to himself and so that he is more comfortable.

Even in A Perfect Circle he threw on a wig to almost take on a different persona. APC and TOOl were two total different styles, musically, lyrically...so he needed to be two different people:

aperfectcircle_DV_20090724172333.jpg

If it takes Maynard's outfits to make you think that TOOL is a "different" band, or a weird band...I'm not sure if you've really taken a good listen to their music.

Yeah. I've seen them live twice and he usually stands in the very back of the stage, behind his bandmates. At times he even looked disinterested when he wasn't singing.

Blew the damn roof off with Stinkfist and Vicarious, though. :yes:

I also agree that we'll see something in May. That meshes with what they've done with Lateralus and 10,000 Days.

Sure....list all the singles. Try openin up with this bad boy :wink: That'll blow your roof off.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H1ljzGx14U]YouTube - ‪TOOL-THIRD EYE-LIVE EXCEL ENERGY CTR -ST.PAUL,MN 6/29/10 207_0368.MOV‬‎[/ame]

Last edited:

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
He's done some good (but different) stuff in the interim, so I'll be curious to hear what this sounds like.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Saw them in Ames in 2002 (my freshman year),and he was definitely in womens underwear. Great music, but seeing them live was awkward.

aforstate

Jan 23, 2010
It really doesn't seem like it's been anywhere near 8 years since I bought 10,000 Days. Kinda depressing...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron