It's official: Tool is in the studio

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I've been waiting in line at the record store since early 2011 thanks to you.

I think this time we can actually expect something to come of the rumors. I've seen this thread, or this type of thread, for the past 5 years or so. I'll be interested to hear what the new album sounds like. I'm not going to say I was disappointed with 10,000 Days, but it just didn't live up to what I've heard from them. Tracks like The Pot and Rosetta Stoned left me wanting more. The music absolutely jams, but the lyrics leave a lot to be desired. All in all, Jambi, both Wings tracks, Intension and Right in Two were the only tracks that really lived up to the TOOL standard I've set in my own mind. I love their jam sessions (see Merkaba on the Salival album, Triad, Wings when it was a live jam). Many years ago they said they would love to do a "Wall" type double concept album. I would love to see that with multiple instrumental tracks.

All in all, I fully expect this to be the final TOOL album. I really want them to go out big. Lateralus was their "magnum opus" in many peoples eyes. I would really love to hear them (Maynard) get back to taking their craft seriously and writing a truly complete concept album. 10,000 Days just didn't do that for me. Don't get me wrong, there is a place for Maynard's non-serious side, and its called Puscifer. I don't want to hear a song full of idioms or a song about how you **** the bed, or a 5 minute conversation between a doctor and a nurse on a TOOL album. Give me a Nazi shouting a hash cookie recipe or an angry message from your landlord if you wanna pull that crap.

Last edited:

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
6 years later...It's finally happening. This is a photo of TOOL (minus Maynard), Bob Ludwig (Mastering Engineer), and Joe Baressi (Engineer/Mix) in Bob Ludwig's mastering studio. The new album has been mastered. 13 years after 10,000 Days, TOOL will finally be releasing a new album.

53375561_2149324668461324_2987792629367832576_n.jpg

In 13 years I've lost my mother, graduated college, changed jobs 3 times, moved out of the state and back, gotten married, had a child, and am currently expecting 2 more on the way (twins, not from two separate partners...hopefully). Since discovering TOOL in 1998, every new album has fallen on a pretty significant year in my life and this album is no different. I'm excited, I'm worried, I'm more than ready for new TOOL music. Fellow TOOL fans, rejoice.

EDIT: For those of you who don't know who you are looking at:

Adam Jones - Guitar
Danny Carey - Drum God
Bob Ludwig - The world's best Mastering Engineer. Those speakers, $200,000. They're embedded in the bedrock beneath his studio to reduce any sort of unwanted resonance which could potentially distort the sound.
Joe Barresi - Producer. He engineered and mixed 10,000 Days (which had an awful mix).
Justin Chancellor - Bass

Last edited:

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
6 years later...It's finally happening. This is a photo of TOOL (minus Maynard), Bob Ludwig (Mastering Engineer), and Joe Baressi (Engineer/Mix) in Bob Ludwig's mastering studio. The new album has been mastered. 13 years after 10,000 Days, TOOL will finally be releasing a new album.

53375561_2149324668461324_2987792629367832576_n.jpg

In 13 years I've lost my mother, graduated college, changed jobs 3 times, moved out of the state and back, gotten married, had a child, and am currently expecting 2 more on the way (twins, not from two separate partners...hopefully). Since discovering TOOL in 1998, every new album has fallen on a pretty significant year in my life and this album is no different. I'm excited, I'm worried, I'm more than ready for new TOOL music. Fellow TOOL fans, rejoice.

EDIT: For those of you who don't know who you are looking at:

Adam Jones - Guitar
Danny Carey - Drum God
Bob Ludwig - The world's best Mastering Engineer. Those speakers, $200,000. They're embedded in the bedrock beneath his studio to reduce any sort of unwanted resonance which could potentially distort the sound.
Joe Barresi - Producer. He engineered and mixed 10,000 Days (which had an awful mix).
Justin Chancellor - Bass
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

Sorry for the excessive giffing but I couldn't choose just one to accurately display my excitement! Can't believe it's been that long since 10,000 Days dropped. I can still remember the first time I heard Vicarious on the radio like it was yesterday. That song rocks harder than most of what you'll hear on local radio and I didn't know they had anything new coming out so the surprise element made it that much better.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I seem to recall a story about A Perfect Circle performing at Stephens when I was at ISU. Something like the crowd booed the opening act so Maynard played the whole set with his back to the crowd?

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Cant wait to see what weird music video they come out with next

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I seem to recall a story about A Perfect Circle performing at Stephens when I was at ISU. Something like the crowd booed the opening act so Maynard played the whole set with his back to the crowd?
This is pretty normal Maynard. I've seen TOOL, APC, Puscifer probably 10-12 times combined. For a lot of people, he is TOOL, APC, Puscifer and in his mind, that takes the focus off of the rest of the band or even off of the music. Turn around, take yourself away from the stage, you are no longer the focal point.

• Informative
Reactions: throwittoblythe

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
did they release the album
Not yet. Estimated release date per Maynard is May-July. TOOL is touring May - July so I would expect it to be May rather than later. The picture shows them in the mastering studio where the new album has been finalized or is in the process of being mastered.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I honestly can't even believe it. This is it folks. The last hurrah. Maynard has said he's getting too old to tour and Tool is the most demanding of his projects. I've nervous because the last APC album was less than stellar IMO. Hopefully Tool can continue their legacy of bleeding edge writing and recording.

in celebration. My favorite.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I think this time we can actually expect something to come of the rumors. I've seen this thread, or this type of thread, for the past 5 years or so. I'll be interested to hear what the new album sounds like. I'm not going to say I was disappointed with 10,000 Days, but it just didn't live up to what I've heard from them. Tracks like The Pot and Rosetta Stoned left me wanting more. The music absolutely jams, but the lyrics leave a lot to be desired. All in all, Jambi, both Wings tracks, Intension and Right in Two were the only tracks that really lived up to the TOOL standard I've set in my own mind. I love their jam sessions (see Merkaba on the Salival album, Triad, Wings when it was a live jam). Many years ago they said they would love to do a "Wall" type double concept album. I would love to see that with multiple instrumental tracks.

All in all, I fully expect this to be the final TOOL album. I really want them to go out big. Lateralus was their "magnum opus" in many peoples eyes. I would really love to hear them (Maynard) get back to taking their craft seriously and writing a truly complete concept album. 10,000 Days just didn't do that for me. Don't get me wrong, there is a place for Maynard's non-serious side, and its called Puscifer. I don't want to hear a song full of idioms or a song about how you **** the bed, or a 5 minute conversation between a doctor and a nurse on a TOOL album. Give me a Nazi shouting a hash cookie recipe or an angry message from your landlord if you wanna pull that crap.

I think a lot of problems with Lyrics now are that these lead singers have a ton of side projects. So they have to come up with so much more and it waters down the lyrics. Corey Taylor has done a solid job so far even with the Stone Sour stuff. I think that is mostly because his bands are completely different. Maynard writes basically the same type of lyric for both bands. I love both bands and his singing but the last album did have a lot less cool lyrics.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

Saw Tool in CR for the 10,000 Days tour. Opening band was some unknown screaming Japanese thrash something or another. They were not appreciated by the crowd at all, and there was no bonus song encore by Tool. Always wondered if they just don't do encores, or if it was in response to the crowd dissing the opening band.

• Informative
Reactions: throwittoblythe

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I think a lot of problems with Lyrics now are that these lead singers have a ton of side projects. So they have to come up with so much more and it waters down the lyrics. Corey Taylor has done a solid job so far even with the Stone Sour stuff. I think that is mostly because his bands are completely different. Maynard writes basically the same type of lyric for both bands. I love both bands and his singing but the last album did have a lot less cool lyrics.
Not to mention Maynard is pushing 60. How many bands do you know that play this long without losing their edge? Pretty much no one.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Not to mention Maynard is pushing 60. How many bands do you know that play this long without losing their edge? Pretty much no one.
Very true. Strange that he is almost that old. It's not really that the bands get old. Just the music style fades and it sounds old. I still love me some Tool. I saw that Cedar Rapids show a few years ago also. Totally different live. More of a Mellow show. I saw them in a bar back in the 90's and it was way more intense than the arena show.

Reactions: Cybyassociation

Agkistrodon

Feb 14, 2009
I was at that concert. I don't specifically recall the opening band being booed, but it has happened at every Tool show I've been to so I wouldn't be surprised. Also, Maynard almost always performs facing away from the crowd, at the back of the stage, dressed up so you can barely tell it is him, etc.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron