ISU vs. UNC - Opens as Pick'em

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
From my very unofficial poll of people in Vegas sports books and poker rooms - amazingly very few people betting on the games have any idea Niang is hurt or that him being hurt is important to the outcome.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
From my very unofficial poll of people in Vegas sports books and poker rooms - amazingly very few people betting on the games have any idea Niang is hurt or that him being hurt is important to the outcome.
Why would you actually know things about games you bet on.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Betting against your team is a d o u c h e move. Should NEVER be done. EVER. Complete and total d o u c h e.

Unless you're terribly unlucky. The only time I've put money on the clones was when we went to Vegas for the UNLV football game. I now steer clear from ever betting for ISU again.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Yeah betting lines are not that indicative some times. Watch to see if the big money comes in late on NC. I still think we need Percy and Edozie to play hack a shack on their bigs. Remember that this is a team that shot <50% from the free throw line with over 40 free throws and not just once but TWICE. No way they can score with us just getting one point each possession.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

Thats not surprising. Betting trends for the tournament are probably way off kilter because drunk bros on 3 day benders are setting them now.

CyclOwnd

Dec 11, 2013
Unless you're terribly unlucky. The only time I've put money on the clones was when we went to Vegas for the UNLV football game. I now steer clear from ever betting for ISU again.

luck is actually called coincidence and fact.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Yeah betting lines are not that indicative some times. Watch to see if the big money comes in late on NC. I still think we need Percy and Edozie to play hack a shack on their bigs. Remember that this is a team that shot <50% from the free throw line with over 40 free throws and not just once but TWICE. No way they can score with us just getting one point each possession.

The only thing I would say is it does look like the sharp money came in early on ISU. The line opened offshore at +1.5 ISU and was at -1 ISU within 45 minutes.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I have no doubt that Fred and Doc will draw up the best offensive and defensive gameplans possible for this game, putting guys in a great position to win. If we don't win, it will be because we did not execute those plans, not because UNC is superior to us.

We need to keep UNC in check on the offensive glass and play some solid post defense. I think those are the biggest keys. I believe we'll get our points, just have to limit 2nd chance points and easy buckets for them, and we win.

ISU by 5

This is Hoiberg's opportunity to get the inside lane for Coach of the Year.

P.S. Love your username, especially today, as we conquer Carolina!

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
So much pathetic on this site in the last 18 or so hours. It's one thing to be depressed about losing Niang for the tournament, it's another thing to 100% give up on Iowa State and call everyone else out for not doing the same. Most Iowa fans aren't this pathetic.

About 10% of the fan base quit when they found out about Georges. However, they also quit every time we lost a game or were even down in a game.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Thats not surprising. Betting trends for the tournament are probably way off kilter because drunk bros on 3 day benders are setting them now.

The big money likely comes from people more educated than the ones I talked to

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Let's be honest - UNC has far more raw talent (probably always will), however, ISU has more developed players and a cohesive unit at this point. Raw talent will help them on breakaways and going up for rebounds, but our guys are much more well-rounded and have what it takes to get the win. I would say the first team we would face that has both more raw talent and developed talent would be MSU - but they aren't unstoppable.

We can win this game - we should win this game. If we take care of rebounding and staying out of could problems, we're good. Hold Paige to under 20, get offensive rebounds, and take an early lead.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
No ISU foul trouble = win.

Some of these tourny games have been really physical without foul calls. Some have been foul fests. Hoping they really let us play.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
No, rooting against your team does. Betting against your team is just business. Hopefully bad business in this case.

Unless you think gambling affects the outcome. If that's the case i would agree with you. I'm guessing you are just a tough guy.

D-o-u-c-h-e

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
The KS freshman "sharp shooter" who hasn't done anything all year is playing big in this Stanford game, maybe we get Thomas on board to do the same

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
The KS freshman "sharp shooter" who hasn't done anything all year is playing big in this Stanford game, maybe we get Thomas on board to do the same
Would be nice.
We need him to knock down shots rather than step out of bounds

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
No ISU foul trouble = win.

Some of these tourny games have been really physical without foul calls. Some have been foul fests. Hoping they really let us play.

I think so too. This is a very beatable UNC team. Really need to keep them off the offensive glass as a lot of fouls come on putbacks after guys get beat for rebounds. Control the glass, stay out of foul trouble and we'll be good.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Agreed. I was feeling down after the initial nut kick of losing Niang, but after thinking about it this team still has some great possibilities. It's certainly going to be more difficult, but we still have plenty of talent, and with Hoiberg on the sidelines you know no matter what our guys are going to have a fighting chance of taking down anybody.

Still have a great chance to make a run in this tourney, execution just has to be more on point than if we had Niang. If we can

A) Shoot the ball well
B) Keep Ejim/Hogue out of foul trouble

I think we can handle this UNC team. Hell we don't even need production out of Edozie/Thomas if the above happen, it would be a cherry on top though.

Nova/MSU scare me with our current lineup, but UConn is also very doable with the personnel we currently have.

But first things first, time to run the Tar Heels out of the gym.

It was good then for the fans to have a day break in between.