ISU to Host NCAA Tournament First and Second Rounds

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Just turns out Tex at #2, ISU #7 and NU #10 - all fall into one part of the bracket. A&M is lumped in there most likely for Geographic reasons. It bites... but does make a certain amound of sense.

Tournament committees "play" with seeds all the time to get match-ups they want. ISU could just as easily been a #5 seed and Washington a #4. Those two could have fought it out in Minneapolis for a spot in the Final Four. Or, as I mentioned before, give us a #8 and UCLA a #7, send us to Gainesville and the Bruins to Omaha. Anything to break up this Big 12 log jam.
As it appears to me, Washington's #6 overall seed was really a #3. They have a much easier road to Tampa than the Big 12 schools...

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Couldn't the committee have swapped us with them pretty easily? I assume they are given leeway to move a team up or down a seed to make scheduling happen more easily. Swap us with Washington or Texas with FSU, and the scheduling doesn't look so bad.

You'd think so....

But if they took an honest look at it (big "if"), and you just said "here are our best 16 teams in order", most likely based off RPI. Then it is what it is.

But look at it this way folks - the 7 to 6 is about the only other situation that I think would work for us. Move us down to 8 - we're opposite top ranked PSU and we're playing regionals in Florida. Move us up too far to 5, and we're playing regionals in California, paired across from Stanford on their home floor (I think).

This only sucks because we're lined up to play NU AGAIN. Then hopefully Texas AGAIN. And the possibility of ISU, Texas and NU making the final four in some combination - is very appetizing.

But the other scenarios, save one, are IMO much worse.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Tournament committees "play" with seeds all the time to get match-ups they want. ISU could just as easily been a #5 seed and Washington a #4. Those two could have fought it out in Minneapolis for a spot in the Final Four. Or, as I mentioned before, give us a #8 and UCLA a #7, send us to Gainesville and the Bruins to Omaha. Anything to break up this Big 12 log jam.
As it appears to me, Washington's #6 overall seed was really a #3. They have a much easier road to Tampa than the Big 12 schools...

The only real crime is last weeks #5 in Washington loses to #26 Oregon (at home, nonetheless) and only dropped 1 spot.

Switching with them, and thus playing in Minnesota across from (an unknown to me) FSU squad is the only desireable scenario.

- Don't want to be paired across from PSU.
- Don't want to travel to Florida or California.

Last edited:

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Who wants to hear what really sucks about this?

Everything holds to form, and the bracket schedule is correct - we'd play NU in Omaha next week Friday the 11th.

Guess what else is going on that night and I think really takes away from our fan attendence?

Granted - all the regional semis are slated for next week Friday. But this particularly hurts since it's NU in an effective home match.

(BTW - NU basketball has the night off - not that it'd make much difference)

Last edited:

fccy

Dec 31, 2008
Forest City
How do tickets work for these games? Will a student CyPass still get me in?

You need to buy a tournament ticket, available at cyclones.com at 8 am tomorrow.

The all-session pass (allowing you into all 3 games, with reserved seating) is $14.

Friday tickets are $10, and will not be available until 4pm Friday (at Hilton box office). Saturday tickets are $8, available at 5:30.

Thanks for the corrections, Daddy Mac (I was checking cyclones.com when you posted - I just need to remember to order mine tomorrow when I get off work).

Last edited:

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Now that I've had the chance to look at the bracket - it makes a certain amount of sense.

The top 16 are spread across the bracket in normal form, just like Tornado Man stated. And the pairing pretty closely mimic final rankings and RPI numbers (at least before yesterday).

Except that Texas is #1 in the latest (11/23) RPI until the Final Four is done, and didn't lose this week. Texas is also #1 in yesterday's RKPI, with ISU #6.

Here's a thought: our win over Texas actually hurt us. If Texas ended up undefeated, they would have been the overall #1 seed and sent to Florida, Penn State as an overall #2 goes to Nebraska, and ISU is perhaps an #11 goes to Minn. and has a path like last year.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
boy, the bracket stinks. Part of the interest of the tourney is for interesting match ups to occur. Having the 3 best teams in the Big 12 all in the same region as others have said is a travesty. Very disappointed.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
What needs to be asked is how Texas is #1 in the RP with 1 loss, and PSU is 2 and undefeated.

It's a combo, as I said. They're reversed in the coaches poll.

We need to be questioning the Washington seeding. That's about it.

Edit:

I'll tell you the other thing I can't really figure...

What sense does it make to send PSU to Florida as a #1, and ship FSU up to Minneapolis as a #1? Maybe logisticaly a wash for PSU - clearly not for FSU. And Minnesota is Big 10 country - not that it probably matters much.

Last edited:

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
What needs to be asked is how Texas is #1 in the RP with 1 loss, and PSU is 2 and undefeated.

It's a combo, as I said. They're reversed in the coaches poll.

We need to be questioning the Washington seeding. That's about it.

Just my .02, but putting both Washington and Texas at Nebraska is just as ridiculous as what we have now.
As I said earlier, from a fairness standpoint to ISU, they should have been swapped with UCLA or even Illinois out west.

My hunch: the Qwest Center gave the NCAA a big $$$ bid, and the committee wanted to make sure that 17,000 seats were mostly filled to return the favor. Of the #2 seed posssiblities, they knew ISU would travel over to fill it up, to go along with all those Husker fans...
They had no idea of the Iowa game here.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Just my .02, but putting both Washington and Texas at Nebraska is just as ridiculous as what we have now.
As I said earlier, from a fairness standpoint to ISU, they should have been swapped with UCLA or even Illinois out west.

My hunch: the Qwest Center gave the NCAA a big $$$ bid, and the committee wanted to make sure that 17,000 seats were mostly filled to return the favor. Of the #2 seed posssiblities, they knew ISU would travel over to fill it up, to go along with all those Husker fans...
They had no idea of the Iowa game here.

I couldn't really care less about getting a seed that puts us elsewhere. I'd rather have, what we have - or a spot in the current Minnesota setup - than anything west or east. Doesn't do our fans any favors. And long travel is no real joy for the team.

Never said the committee has an awareness of the Iowa game. Nor should they. Just that it sucks for our fans.

And how is having a regional #2 seed in Washington possibly as bad as having the 1,2 and 3 from the BigXII in the same region?

Edit: Ok - I see the idea of swapping PSU and Texas between Omaha and Florida. And ISU/Washington between Omaha/Minn.

Last edited: