ISU to Host NCAA Tournament First and Second Rounds

Enginerd

Apr 11, 2006
Now that I've had the chance to look at the bracket - it makes a certain amount of sense.

The top 16 are spread across the bracket in normal form, just like Tornado Man stated. And the pairing pretty closely mimic final rankings and RPI numbers (at least before yesterday).

Just turns out Tex at #2, ISU #7 and NU #10 - all fall into one part of the bracket. A&M is lumped in there most likely for Geographic reasons. It bites... but does make a certain amound of sense.

Only one really up for debate is that NU at 10 - but I'd guess that has more to do with keeping them in Omaha and hearing those cash registers ringing.

What sucks, is that I believe Washington lost to Oregon last week and only fell to 6. Too bad we couldn't skip over them and get that slot up in Minnesota. I think that'd be MUCH MORE advantegous to us.

It's still a disgrace. That is why they have committees. To avoid situations like this. This is bad for Iowa State and bad for the Big 12. Both have earned more respect than they are getting.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I'm a little unclear why this is such a slap in the face to ISU? Having all 3 seeded teams from the Big XII is stupid. But where's the "insult" to ISU?

We're hosting first and second round and playing the 3rd and 4th about 100 miles from Campus. I'm not crazy about the likelihood of playing NU in their backyard. But still....

Oh yea - I'd rather head east and play overall #1 PSU, or west and play #1 Stanford on their home floor? :eek: Not to mention - this opens the door for hundreds, if not thousands of our fans to travel. Go to the coasts - cut that number to about 50.

Hell - we KNOW we can beat 2 of other 3 seeded teams in our region. Back yard or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: CycloneErik

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Tell ya what....

I'm a big UNI fan next weekend as well, and hoping for rematch. :yes:

coachdags

Speechless
Bookie
Mar 30, 2006
N.Dakota
I'm a little unclear why this is such a slap in the face to ISU? Having all 3 seeded teams from the Big XII is stupid. But where's the "insult" to ISU?

We're hosting first and second round and playing the 3rd and 4th about 100 miles from Campus. I'm not crazy about the likelihood of playing NU in their backyard. But still....

Oh yea - I'd rather head east and play overall #1 PSU, or west and play #1 Stanford on their home floor? :eek: Not to mention - this opens the door for hundreds, if not thousands of our fans to travel. Go to the coasts - cut that number to about 50.

Hell - we KNOW we can beat 2 of other 3 seeded teams in our region. Back yard or not.

I agree, we know what we need to do, no surprises, and hopefully we can get some fan support. Coach knows these teams and how to attack them as well as anybody....

I'm not sure Nebraska will get past UNI.....:wideeyed:

Reactions: DaddyMac

Steve

Apr 11, 2006

My first thought was that Nebraska got a better deal than they deserved. On second glance, one of the goals of the committee should be to promote the sport. Nebraska has earned everything that they received when you look at attendance numbers. 7 of the top 10 all-time D1 single match attendance records (including the top 4) have involved Nebraska at either the Quest or the Devaney center. When you deliver like that, the committee should look out for you. I have no problem with the match ups. In fact it should be a thrill to be part of the absolute best setting in college volleyball if we should advance to the Quest.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA

No way should a conference runner-up be in the same regional as the conference champ. Not from a conference with three team in the top 10 seeds. And before getting to them, we have to beat Nebraska, instead of the other options around the country: Minnesota, Cal, or Hawaii. You can't tell me the committee didn't rearrange seeds for match-ups: Cal, at 18-10, a 9 seed and Nebraska a 10? Come on.
My goal is ISU having a chance at the Final Four; not if I can drive to the regional or not.

Last edited:

coachdags

Speechless
Bookie
Mar 30, 2006
N.Dakota
You guys are trying to find justifcation in a NCAA committee.....seriously Good Luck

N o
C lue
A bout
A nything

cmoore_23

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
kind of off topic.. but on ncaa.com bracket challenge they have cal playing 2 times in the first round :skeptical:

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
No way should a conference runner-up be in the same regional as the conference champ. Not from a conference with three team in the top 10 seeds. And before getting to them, we have to beat Nebraska, instead of the other options around the country: Minnesota, Cal, or Hawaii. You can't tell me the committee didn't rearrange seeds for match-ups: Cal, at 18-10, a 9 seed and Nebraska a 10? Come on.
My goal is ISU having a chance at the Final Four; not if I can drive to the regional or not.

I've already granted that we should be in Minnesota.

But thinking we're better off going to either coast ... and that that is an easier path than what we have now is just dumb. I'm extremely anxious to know why I should feel better about two unknown teams 2000 miles away, than I should about 2 teams we've already beaten?

Fan support and travel distance, time, etc - have about as much to do with this as anything.

Seems to me, I'm more concerned about getting to Tampa than you are.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I'm extremely anxious to know why I should feel better about two unknown teams 2000 miles away, than I should about 2 teams we've already beaten?

That's kind of what I'm thinking as well. The seeding was a huge slap in the face to the Big XII, but I don't think it's all that bad for ISU. If I'm Texas, I'm furious about this.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
That's kind of what I'm thinking as well. The seeding was a huge slap in the face to the Big XII, but I don't think it's all that bad for ISU. If I'm Texas, I'm furious about this.

That I agree with - Texas was screwed over more than we were.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006

The seedings (IMO) are fine. They reflect rankings and RPI.

Lumping us all in the same region doesn't make much sense. As stated, alot more sense might be moving Texas to Florida, PSU to Omaha, ISU to Minneapolis and Washington to Omaha.

Or - as stated, ISU could go about anywhere really. But not sure how that's advantageous to us.

Fact is - NU, Minn, Stanford and Florida - were going to be exactly where they are. No question. And I think Tornado Man stated earlier that Washington got the best of all this. They were a #1 til this weekend. And got rewarded as such, being the #2 in probably the weakest region up in Minneapolis.

As it is... we're not playing the overall #1 and we're not playing Stanford at on their home court.

Edit: I see what you mean by seedings. What really needs to change is this 1-16 and go with 1-4 per region. Opens the door a bit more.

Last edited:

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
That I agree with - Texas was screwed over more than we were.

Very true. If there's a slap in the face - that's it.

There really needs to be a rule about playing in your own back yard, IMO. There never will be. But it's hardly fair. Particularly when the lower seeds like NU or Minn - get the homecourt (or effective)

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
But thinking we're better off going to either coast ... and that that is an easier path than what we have now is just dumb. I'm extremely anxious to know why I should feel better about two unknown teams 2000 miles away, than I should about 2 teams we've already beaten?
Before we get to the Final Four, we have to get to the Elite Eight. Maybe we have a better chance of beating Cal in Gainesville or Hawaii in Palo Alto than we do of beating Nebraska in Omaha?
And although I'm a PSU grad, let's not fear them. Michigan took them to five sets recently.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
The seedings are what lump us in the same region. I wasn't trying to imply that I thought anyone was underseeded or overseeded.

yeah - I got that and edited my above. What I meant is the current 1-16 kinda lock the pairings - which is dumb.

Before we get to the Final Four, we have to get to the Elite Eight. Maybe we have a better chance of beating Cal in Gainesville or Hawaii in Palo Alto than we do of beating Nebraska in Omaha?
And although I'm a PSU grad, let's not fear them. Michigan took them to five sets recently.

Sure - but why then be so afraid of NU? We already dropped them. Fact is, you got to beat them all at some point, any way. Call me crazy - but I feel better about playing rubber matches in our back yard than first off matches against more unknown squads after long travel.

I still like your Minnesota scenario last week. And it was really dead on. Except for Wash as the #1.

Enginerd

Apr 11, 2006
In addition to the top three finishers of a conference (all of which ranked in the top ten) being placed in the same region with the home court advantage going to the third place team and throwing a fourth conference team into the region for good measure (as if that was not enough)...

I like ISU's chances better against teams that haven't seen them rather than rematches. ISU doesn't overwhelm teams with talent. They beat them through coaching, hustle, team work, and scrapiness. Their style of play frustrates and surprises other teams (see last year's run). Texas and NU both know full well what to expect with ISU.

I have been to the last two final fours in Omaha. NU is tough to beat there. They won a NC and took the only sets lost all year by PSU. I hate to be this way but I will be a huge UNI fan if they meet.

You know what else? I wanted PSU. I know it's crazy and PSU is sick with talent (I know...I have seen them live) but I just think ISU might be able to confuse them on a given night.

Lastly, after ISU I will be rooting for conference teams...even Texas and NU. I was looking forward to them all meeting the Final Four of the tourney not the regional.

Like another post, I want the Clones to make the Final Four ehether it is convenient for me or not.

Help Support Us

Become a patron