ISU to Host NCAA Tournament First and Second Rounds

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
The seedings (IMO) are fine. They reflect rankings and RPI.

Not exactly true - they bumped Minnesota from #8 to #11 to make things work in Minneapolis. They could have also tweaked the Big 12 teams to avoid lumping all three together.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Sure - but why then be so afraid of NU? We already dropped them. Fact is, you got to beat them all at some point, any way. Call me crazy - but I feel better about playing rubber matches in our back yard than first off matches against more unknown squads after long travel.

I already have my Qwest tickets - I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Not sure where you guys are getting the idea that "it's convienient" for me....

I can't go.

Last edited:

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Not exactly true - they bumped Minnesota from #8 to #11 to make things work in Minneapolis. They could have also tweaked the Big 12 teams to avoid lumping all three together.

I think it's pretty much a given since the day the regionals were announced that those 4 squads would be playing there. EVERYTHING is determined around those schools.

When they announce next year's 4 regional locations, we can pretty much guess at least one team who will be there. :wink:

Did anyone really think Nebraska, Stanford, Minnesota or Florida would be somewhere other than where they are?

coachdags

Speechless
Bookie
Mar 30, 2006
N.Dakota
Lastly, after ISU I will be rooting for conference teams...even Texas and NU. I was looking forward to them all meeting the Final Four of the tourney not the regional.

The NCAA will do everything within it power to keep situations like this from happening...

At the Frozen Four (Hockey) in 2005, the 4 teams were all from the WCHA / Denver, Colorado College, UND, and Minnesota....

It almost turned the Hockey world inside out, I know that they can not assure this, but I do believe that this is now discussed in selection meeting to try and prohibit it....

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
The NCAA will do everything within it power to keep situations like this from happening...

At the Frozen Four (Hockey) in 2005, the 4 teams were all from the WCHA / Denver, Colorado College, UND, and Minnesota....

It almost turned the Hockey world inside out, I know that they can not assure this, but I do believe that this is now discussed in selection meeting to try and prohibit it....
Wait, you're saying the NCAA is angry that the best four teams from a given sport are all from the same conference, and would rather see teams that are NOT one of the best four, just for the sake of representing multiple conferences? I hope you're dead wrong about that. That's as corrupt as it gets.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
I will not be cheering for Texas or Nebrska, i hope they fall flat on there face. There coaches are rather disgraceful IMO, and I will never cheer for Hooker, i don't care how good of an athlete she is.

gwoodclone

Jul 11, 2007
While the Big 12 did get screwed, at least we know we can beat the toughest competition on our path to the Final Four. And if we beat Nebraska, or if NU falls before the Sweet 16, I think we'll have 17,000 Husker fans cheering us on against Texas. No matter what, it will be a great experience for the team. There is really nothing in volleyball quite like a game at Qwest.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Wait, you're saying the NCAA is angry that the best four teams from a given sport are all from the same conference, and would rather see teams that are NOT one of the best four, just for the sake of representing multiple conferences? I hope you're dead wrong about that. That's as corrupt as it gets.

Conspiracy theory in the Omaha W-H... the Final Four is in Tampa/St. Pete, and who has a neat path to the Final Four?

Florida State. They somehow get the #3 seed and are in the Minnesota region (Minnesota may not even make it to their own regional). They would still need to beat #6 Washington, but beating Washington on a neutral court in Minneapolis might be an easier task than beating Iowa State (and its fans) in Minneapolis.

Oh, and FSU is the ONLY seeded team in that region that plays at home the first two rounds. #14 Oregon is at Kentucky. #11 Minnesota is at Tennessee. #6 Washington is at Colorado State.

Last edited:

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
I'm a little unclear why this is such a slap in the face to ISU? Having all 3 seeded teams from the Big XII is stupid. But where's the "insult" to ISU?

We're hosting first and second round and playing the 3rd and 4th about 100 miles from Campus. I'm not crazy about the likelihood of playing NU in their backyard. But still....

Oh yea - I'd rather head east and play overall #1 PSU, or west and play #1 Stanford on their home floor? :eek: Not to mention - this opens the door for hundreds, if not thousands of our fans to travel. Go to the coasts - cut that number to about 50.

Hell - we KNOW we can beat 2 of other 3 seeded teams in our region. Back yard or not.

Quite frankly, I have watched PN St play this year, big 10 is tough, but I don't think their top 3 teams are as good as TX, ISU, & NU. I would rather play PN ST than Nebraska again. ISU has the element of surprise and strategy, and NU and Texas know our game now.

I want to see top teams from other conferences playing against the Big 12 top teams. Now, it will be one Big 12 team against another conference unless Baylor or OU pulls an upset, which I can see Baylor doing. If I'm Baylor, I got to like my bracket.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
yeah - I got that and edited my above. What I meant is the current 1-16 kinda lock the pairings - which is dumb.

Sure - but why then be so afraid of NU? We already dropped them. Fact is, you got to beat them all at some point, any way. Call me crazy - but I feel better about playing rubber matches in our back yard than first off matches against more unknown squads after long travel.

I still like your Minnesota scenario last week. And it was really dead on. Except for Wash as the #1.

That's how I feel about every tournament, or any time you see fans/teams/coaches/analysts/whoever I missed complaining about their draw. Fine, one way may or may not be harder than another, but if you want to win the whole thing, you have to beat them all, and you have to believe that you can beat them all.

As you said earlier, we know that we can beat Nebraska and Texas, because we've done it. If UNI takes Nebraska down, well, we know that we can beat them, too, because we've done it.

So, the draw is what it is. Let's knock 'em down, and do the Final Four thing.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Conspiracy theory in the Omaha W-H... the Final Four is in Tampa/St. Pete, and who has a neat path to the Final Four?

Florida State. They somehow get the #3 seed and are in the Minnesota region (Minnesota may not even make it to their own regional). They would still need to beat #6 Washington, but beating Washington on a neutral court in Minneapolis might be an easier task than beating Iowa State (and its fans) in Minneapolis.

Oh, and FSU is the ONLY seeded team in that region that plays at home the first two rounds. #14 Oregon is at Kentucky. #11 Minnesota is at Tennessee. #6 Washington is at Colorado State.

That makes a hell of a lot of sense.

Although Washingon was likely the region's top seed til they lost to Oregon. So I don't know if I see that as any sort of easy game for FSU. But ISU has been the upset special the past two tourneys.

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
I just got back from getting my tickets to Hilton. I was the first one in line at 6:45am, but by the time they opened the doors at 8am, there were well over 120 people in line. If that's indicative, there are going to be a lot of Cyclones at these games.

NOTE: the Round 2 game on Saturday has been moved to 7:00pm from 6:30pm, according to the tickets.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Quite frankly, I have watched PN St play this year, big 10 is tough, but I don't think their top 3 teams are as good as TX, ISU, & NU. I would rather play PN ST than Nebraska again. ISU has the element of surprise and strategy, and NU and Texas know our game now.

I want to see top teams from other conferences playing against the Big 12 top teams.

It looks like CJL agrees. From her interview on cyclones.com: "That's a little unusual. I'm a little disappointed that they decided to put the 3 best teams in one of the best conferences in the country in the same region."

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
now the bracket looks even more ridiculous with the #2, #5, and #7 ranked teams in the country in the same region.

Apparently Nebraska coach John Cook said on his radio show last night that he talked with a reporter from the Lincoln Journal-Star who actually called a member of the VB selection committee - the reporter wouldn't say who.
The committee member said they didn't realize that the three top teams in the Big 12 were all in the same bracket. They started at the top seeding one team at a time, and when they were done, that was it. They never looked at match-ups in the round of 16.
Good god...

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Apparently Nebraska coach John Cook said on his radio show last night that he talked with a reporter from the Lincoln Journal-Star who actually called a member of the VB selection committee - the reporter wouldn't say who.
The committee member said they didn't realize that the three top teams in the Big 12 were all in the same bracket. They started at the top seeding one team at a time, and when they were done, that was it. They never looked at match-ups in the round of 16.
Good god...

You think that's true? (the committee member, not Cooke)

By that explanation - NU just happened to fall in Omaha. Stanford just happened to stay home. Same for Florida and Minn.

:nah:

Heck, everyone else realized that mess within minutes of the announcement.