ISU-OU MBB Postgame

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
We knew we were going to lose some. While it sucks, OU is a good team. Just couldn't stop them on defense and our three point shooting was awful.

Gut tells me Kane will be fine. I think he's just more angry about the loss. No one is even working on him.

My heartless evaluation of basketball injuries as a spectator, that happens to be accurate almost every time:
When a guy screams or gets dramatic, it tends to be nothing.
When they're quiet, it tends to be pretty bad.

That said, Kane was limping for the postgame handshakes.

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
Well. We have our L out of the way. Bad D on the perimeter and they hit the open shots. Let Spangler get some offensive boards. Hope Kane heals up in 2 days.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Eh, gave up too many offensive rebounds, didn't shoot the 3 well, and gave up too many open 3's They did a great job of fighting back again

mattyice

Oct 15, 2011
ISU- 6-25 (24) 3 pt
OU- 13-30 (43) 3pt

We weren't a threat from outside once, lots of looks, nothing was falling.

thats the thing with this team. You don't want to recruit a true center because you want shooters....well we lose every time if we miss that many and you can't guard them shooting it.

not saying it's wrong...but can't throw out a bunch of shooter who miss and still win.

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
OU made 13 3's and had 13 offensive rebounds. When you can't miss and you're crashing the boards, you deserve to win. I'm not going to gripe about the refs or b**ch about how we played, just give OU credit because its deserved.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
A 36% 3-pt shooter goes 6-11, a 56% FT shooter goes 8-9, we give up about 75 offensive RB, and shoot just over 20% from beyond the arc. I think that pretty much sums up this game.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Besides giving up O-rebounds, the biggest determinant for this team is getting production from the non-big four, which correlates highly with 3p shooting. We cannot keep giving up Orebounds (OU is a small team too) and getting nothing from Thomas (and in this game Morris and Naz). Also, our 3P defense in B12 has been bad.

Oh, and to say the refs had NO impact is being idiotic.

Up by 1 with 2.5 minutes to play. First game we did not close out.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Great performance from OU beats an okay performance from us. They're a very good team and we have a target on our back now.

Really hope that we can get DeAndre back soon. That didn't look good though. MM can fill in capably, but Kane has really carried us lately.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
We beat OU by 20 points anywhere that isn't Norman. Poor rebounding, not ready to play, very ppor defensively, poor shot seclection. Played as poorly as possible, OU played as well as possible and still almost beat them. Whatever, that happens in basketball.

The issue is Kane. Without him we have 5 guys that play much anymore since I think it is pretty obvious Fred is losing some confidence in Thomas. We have no chance against KU if he isn't ready to go.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Amputation

Relax...he's on the bench. If he were in serious trouble he'd be in the locker room. Didn't look like a bad turn, probably not comfortable...but didn't look awful.

doesnt help that he needed to be "Paul pierced" off the court....and is sulking in a towel. Little dramatic
Hard for me to relax when our best player is "on the bench" with an injury.
Whether its a simple roll, bad sprain, whatever, I'm not going to relax until he's back on the court.

KcClone01

Aug 18, 2008
KC, MO
1 loss, not a big deal.

Bad rotation defense, rebounding and poor offensive discipline cost us this one. They'll get it fixed.

PS - refs had zero to do with the loss. ;)

Good analysis, thought we had poor shot selection, and we're expecting calls from the refs, that you're not going to get on the road in B12. That and I think Kruger out coached CFH today. Don't like saying that, but how else do you explain it.

DrShekelstein

Jul 30, 2013
Thomas has potential, he needs to get more confident in his shot, he had a few close ones in there, but I expect he will improve greatly next year.

temperflare

Jul 9, 2007
Bondurant
We didn't play "horrible". We had some positives, but there are a few underlying issues that need to be resolved. Several key things in this loss today:

1. We suck at the free throw line. We've been subpar all season and still won. It was only a matter of time until it bit us.
2. We didn't shoot well from 3. If we don't shoot well from the arc and the other team does... It makes it difficult to win.
3. Refs were about as inconsistent throughout the game as I think I've seen this season.
4. We shot GREAT from inside and drove to the basket well. The bonus for doing so is opportunities from the charity stripe as previously mentioned.

Rest assured, we will beat OU when they come to Ames and in much better fashion than they beat us today.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron