ISU-OU MBB Postgame

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Amputation

Relax...he's on the bench. If he were in serious trouble he'd be in the locker room. Didn't look like a bad turn, probably not comfortable...but didn't look awful.

doesnt help that he needed to be "Paul pierced" off the court....and is sulking in a towel. Little dramatic

Hard to tell with ankles, might swell up like a ballon, might be ok. Find out tomorrow.

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
It wasnt a bad loss, just the same as some of our earlier wins weren't great wins, we played hard for most of the game and showed a lot of determination keeping it as close it was. As a Cyclone fan you cant ask for much more. If this loss means we get a few more wrinkles ironed out (defensive rotations, rebounding, taking care of the ball against full court pressure) then this could be just what the doctor ordered.

RLRLSit

Nov 18, 2013
That was OU at the top of their game and ISU mediocre at best, only lost by 5. I'm calling a double digit win when we get them back at Hilton.

Last edited:

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
We didn't play "horrible". We had some positives, but there are a few underlying issues that need to be resolved. Several key things in this loss today:

1. We suck at the free throw line. We've been subpar all season and still won. It was only a matter of time until it bit us.
2. We didn't shoot well from 3. If we don't shoot well from the arc and the other team does... It makes it difficult to win.
3. Refs were about as inconsistent throughout the game as I think I've seen this season.
4. We shot GREAT from inside and drove to the basket well. The bonus for doing so is opportunities from the charity stripe as previously mentioned.

Rest assured, we will beat OU when they come to Ames and in much better fashion than they beat us today.

I kind of think, in many areas, they did play horribly.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
thats the thing with this team. You don't want to recruit a true center because you want shooters....well we lose every time if we miss that many and you can't guard them shooting it.

not saying it's wrong...but can't throw out a bunch of shooter who miss and still win.

We were 29/39 from two (74%). We've been consistently very high there. I know the three opens up the floor for us, but maybe we don't need to shoot 25?

They looked very impatient on offense today.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Lots of good coaching opportunities to focus on in practice after this game.

And, some of the ugly was self inflicted, so that is something that is more mental.

cyclone22

Sep 14, 2011
Ames, IA
Refs let white boy get away with anything he wanted, and that "and 1 play" at the end he was untouched. Changed the whole momentum of the game. Other than that, looking forward to a SDW coming out party vs KU.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
thats the thing with this team. You don't want to recruit a true center because you want shooters....well we lose every time if we miss that many and you can't guard them shooting it.

not saying it's wrong...but can't throw out a bunch of shooter who miss and still win.

We have a lot of guys who need to shoot just enough to keep the other team coming out to guard them, which then frees up the inside. The problem is some of those guys don't know when to stop (Ejim).

According to Yahoo box score:

Kane - 8/11
Ejim - 7/10
Niang - 7/9
Hogue - 5/7

These guys went 27/37 (73%) inside the arc, and yet Ejim still felt it necessary to lead the team in 3pt attempts today. When shots aren't falling from outside, someone has to rein him in.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
OK, I need some cheering up. I didn't watch the game because basically I am a basket case. Obviously we were going to lose a game, but we got dominated by OU. And they aren't that great. Hell, we have only beat one good team and that was lucky and Iowa.

What about Kane's ankle? We can't win jackshit without him. What if the team starts to fracture with the loss? Th

So we are 14-1, I figure we have to win 8 more to go to the NCAA tournament. Kansas State looks too good, Kansas too. We won't win at Baylor. WE should beat TTU and TCU at home. Maybe WVU (but they always play us good). That's 3 wins. Maybe we beat TCU on the road.

Make me feel better. I knew that this first loss was going to suck, but I can't get it out of my head that we are not that good of a team. I'll feel better if we get to the NCAA, but that seems really tough to do.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Good analysis, thought we had poor shot selection, and we're expecting calls from the refs, that you're not going to get on the road in B12. That and I think Kruger out coached CFH today. Don't like saying that, but how else do you explain it.

I don't think he out coached him, they were hot we weren't that explains the ballgame

DreamyCy

Nov 13, 2013
OK, I need some cheering up. I didn't watch the game because basically I am a basket case. Obviously we were going to lose a game, but we got dominated by OU. And they aren't that great. Hell, we have only beat one good team and that was lucky and Iowa.

What about Kane's ankle? We can't win jackshit without him. What if the team starts to fracture with the loss? Th

So we are 14-1, I figure we have to win 8 more to go to the NCAA tournament. Kansas State looks too good, Kansas too. We won't win at Baylor. WE should beat TTU and TCU at home. Maybe WVU (but they always play us good). That's 3 wins. Maybe we beat TCU on the road.

Make me feel better. I knew that this first loss was going to suck, but I can't get it out of my head that we are not that good of a team. I'll feel better if we get to the NCAA, but that seems really tough to do.

Or maybe you could just not be such a little *****......

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
We have a lot of guys who need to shoot just enough to keep the other team coming out to guard them, which then frees up the inside. The problem is some of those guys don't know when to stop (Ejim).

According to Yahoo box score:

Kane - 8/11
Ejim - 7/10
Niang - 7/9
Hogue - 5/7

These guys went 27/37 (73%) inside the arc, and yet Ejim still felt it necessary to lead the team in 3pt attempts today. When shots aren't falling from outside, someone has to rein him in.

All of Ejim's 3P's were wide open. He just missed them, it happens.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN

We have to win 6 more games to get into the tourney, so that shouldn't be a worry at all, but please, continue overreacting.

Last edited:

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I was really disappointed in the rebounding today. OU is not a great rebounding team, but ISU sure made them look like that today.

Also, ISU did not defend the perimeter well at all today. OU is a good shooting team, and ISU almost looked like they did not know that. Way too many open, uncontested shots for OU.

Another problem was ISU's shooting from outside today. At half - they were 3/13 from 3 and I thought, well no way are they going to shoot 23 percent in a game from outside. Who knew they would exactly duplicate that in the 2nd half?

I just think OU was as athletic if not more athletic than ISU, and that caused some problems today.

I also think maybe it is time to start Naz in place of Thomas. I've been a big, patient supporter of Matt starting, but he just is not contributing enough offensively. Something needs to get him out of this slump, and continuing to start him and then sending him to the bench except for 12-15 minutes a game is not working. I know some will say it may hurt his confidence, but I'm not so sure he has much of that left anyway. I think he is forcing the game, not letting it just come to him. The game plan with him now is not working, so maybe it is time to switch it up and see what happens. Maybe it will take some pressure off him or something.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls

Get it together jfc

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Please, this team really needed to lose a game to take some of the long-term hype/pressure off. I just didn't know that ISU would be in a wrestling match twice this weekend against OU. Then Kane got injured and that ruined the whole weekend. I blame the damn refs as that game was getting out of control.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Besides giving up O-rebounds, the biggest determinant for this team is getting production from the non-big four, which correlates highly with 3p shooting. We cannot keep giving up Orebounds (OU is a small team too) and getting nothing from Thomas (and in this game Morris and Naz). Also, our 3P defense in B12 has been bad.

Oh, and to say the refs had NO impact is being idiotic.

Up by 1 with 2.5 minutes to play. First game we did not close out.

Son of a *****. We were up by 1? That sucks. Not good.

We have no idea the mental makeup of this team. They could fold now that they've lost a game. The next two games are kind of unwinable, even with Kane. If Kane is out, then they are very unwinable. What happens when they are 14-3 and playing Kansas State at home. Kansas State is ranked and will think they can win.